Old account and new account

Come talk about the game, your Contraptions, and your solutions!

Old account and new account

Postby SteveTheSquid on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 am

I just started playing this game again, haven't played in over 4 years, and that was in elementary/middle school. God, looking back at the old crap in my account, I was a total idiot.

Apparently I even got myself baned on the forums. I guess I'll use this SteveTheSquid account for the forums since that's my internet handle anyway, and keep my Framage account for the game itself since it's got the $10 paid already.

Anyway, looks like a lot of stuff on this forum is dead or outdated; I was wondering how you guys make glitchy levels with the special yellow dynamic objects and pinned stuff already in the level; I can see there used to be an FC resource website with level editor, but it looks like that's long gone. Can't find any recent forum posts on it, because it looks like the forum completely died save for the pros in 2011, so all those posts are outdated.

Welp I'll probably post a little bit on the forums and lurk for a while, before dying out within a few months, as it usually goes for anything I get into these days. :P
SteveTheSquid

Re: Old account and new account

Postby marjo on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 am

Hey! Stay awhile! There are still a number of people here, and every additional person just makes the community grow!
The "glitchy" levels are made using FCML, and there is still a running version of the resource here: http://fc.sk89q.com/
The FCML editor is under the tools menu.
There are some FCML tutorials in the wiki: http://wiki.fantasticcontraption.com/wi ... _with_FCML
So, don't expect this to die! STAY FOREVER!
Welcome!
marjo

Postby SteveTheSquid on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

It's not that I want to leave because it's dead; I'm fine with the little community going on here! I just end up being obsessive about things for short periods of time before I move on to some new obsession; especially with individual games :P

Thanks for the links!
SteveTheSquid

Postby Maximirobbes on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Welcome SteveTheSquid! It's really great to see someone besides me join! I was the last one to join the forums, and that was like 10 days ago. Before that, nobody had joined in months. You may think you will get bored of this, but I think if you learn to like the game, you will stick around for a while. The thing is, it is the most relaxing thing in the world to play this game, you can talk to people and listen to music, listen to the radio, etc... It will always be here for you. Also, it's the friendliest community you will ever see. Check out the chat, it's a lot of fun in there.

P.S. Are you from Europe? I saw you joined at 9:10 today and figured that's what it was.
Maximirobbes

Postby SteveTheSquid on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:59 am

Nah, I'm American EST, I just have a free period in high school since I'm a senior, so I goof on with FC usually.

And I can't really dedicate myself to the community methinks, I'm actually really into Legos (go figure), and so most of my free time is doing stuff related to it, and its community (Skype and whatnot), so I never really end up getting to know people in the other communities I border... but who knows?

The real problem with my potential activity is that I'm not so good; I usually can only beat the kinds of levels that get 3 pages of solves these days. I liked it back all those years ago when this was popular and there were levels abound, so I could find the right difficulty levels. Plus I don't have the patience for massive amounts of tweak :P
SteveTheSquid

Postby sammanta on Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:53 am

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but having returned to this after 5 years away and discovering that even the mods had left and all the threads were dead or dying, I thought that the levels would be gone too, but there are still a few and even though lots of people try to make them as hard as possible some good ones can still be found. Although I am no FC professional, I enjoy the challenges of the hard levels and from what I've seen the small community we have now is a great improvement over the one of 2008/2009/2010. Here's to a bright-ish future for the forum as it remains.
sammanta

Postby marjo on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Hey sammanta! You stay here and keep playing too! The levels are great and the community is great. :smile:
marjo

Postby sammanta on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:59 am

I'm not leaving for the time being, but nobody will be here forever so we should just enjoy ourselves. As fun as the forum is, I hope it doesn't degenerate into the silliness of 5 years ago (threads about cows, spam, trolling etc.) so I like it small and dedicated to the contraptioning cause.

(I have never tried the chat though, might give a shot in the future).
sammanta

Postby SteveTheSquid on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:29 pm

I wish more people tried the chat. I'm not super-dedicated to this community as I devote most of my time to the Lego community, and that community is SUPER personal. I have at least 10 friends there that I know better than my IRL friends. It's weird to see this community, which is amiable, but much more impersonal.
SteveTheSquid

Postby halfmaster1 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:56 am

sammanta wrote:I'm not leaving for the time being, but nobody will be here forever so we should just enjoy ourselves. As fun as the forum is, I hope it doesn't degenerate into the silliness of 5 years ago (threads about cows, spam, trolling etc.) so I like it small and dedicated to the contraptioning cause.

(I have never tried the chat though, might give a shot in the future).

What do you have against threads about cows? That was the best part of these forums.
halfmaster1

Return to Levels and Game Chat