Database Issues

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Database Issues

Postby weasel on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Because you jerks are setting record levels of incoming connections every single day, you have been slowly bringing the server to it's knees! How dare you play this fun game! ;) Honestly we had thought that traffic would die out after the first week...

We've changed hosts twice and upgraded hosting equipment, but it looks like we're going to have to put in for yet another upgrade.

Until it gets physically installed (probably a day or two) you'll see some slow response times on any database query, or even some hung connections (where the game seems to take forever to connect and never succeeds). This causes two very unfortunate side effects, other than slow speeds:

- Levels you open via URL may have to be refreshed several times before loading properly
- You may lose contraptions you are trying to save!

I hate to do it but I suggest you don't try making any ipecac, important contraptions until this upgrade is done.

Sorry I slipped off the ball with this one, with Pacifist on vacation I'm lagging a bit behind!

EDIT: 8/2/2008 Database optimizations have been made so the issues should manifest themselves much less often. Hardware upgrade is still planned however probably won't happen until next week sometime.
weasel

Re: Database Issues

Postby Entity on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:39 pm

Ah right. Victim of your own success ;)
Entity

Postby HexOxide on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:18 pm

In a sense, this is a good thing, the game is popular, and rightly so. Nothing says success like a willing DDoS.

I think the only time to worry is if people start to complain unreasonably. That is when I personally would be annoyed, considering the game is free, and it's a huge privilege to play it. You guys are doing an excellent job, keep up the great work guys.
HexOxide

Postby Entity on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 pm

HexOxide wrote:In a sense, this is a good thing, the game is popular, and rightly so. Nothing says success like a willing DDoS.

I think the only time to worry is if people start to complain unreasonably. That is when I personally would be annoyed, considering the game is free, and it's a huge privilege to play it. You guys are doing an excellent job, keep up the great work guys.

Uh? I paid the $10 so the problems get worse because there are more features that don't work then ;) But i'm sure throwing more hardware at it will resolve these issues :)
Entity

Postby recursive on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:34 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here.

Might I suggest indexing the design table on the creator field? The "My Designs" section seems particularly slow.

If there already is such an index, just slap me.
recursive

Postby HexOxide on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:47 am

Entity wrote:
HexOxide wrote:In a sense, this is a good thing, the game is popular, and rightly so. Nothing says success like a willing DDoS.

Uh? I paid the $10 so the problems get worse because there are more features that don't work then ;) But i'm sure throwing more hardware at it will resolve these issues :)

Yeah well obviously I was talking about all the people who haven't paid the $10 which is probably the majority, I wasn't talking about people like myself, and you, who have donated to the game.
HexOxide

Postby weasel on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Pacifist took a break from his tedious vacation and did some database optimizations today, so the issues should significantly decrease. Updated the OP.
weasel

Postby Entity on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:51 pm

weasel wrote:Pacifist took a break from his tedious vacation and did some database optimizations today, so the issues should significantly decrease. Updated the OP.

Yeah it's much faster now, cheers :)
Entity

Return to The Dev Dish