Adverts

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: Adverts

Postby Vaelek on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:13 pm

steviebuk2000 wrote:That didn't last long, they've now appeared to have blocked it.

They've done no such thing
Vaelek

Postby defect9 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:38 pm

These adds suck. I'm getting the ones that pop up in front of my workspace as well. I didn't pay to get stuck with adds. I didn't pay to help support the game. I paid to open up stuff for me, the consumer, to get access to player-made levels, by others who also paid.

refund, or remove the adds for the 1% (or less) who paid. that's my vote
defect9

Postby steviebuk2000 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:07 am

Vaelek wrote:
steviebuk2000 wrote:That didn't last long, they've now appeared to have blocked it.

They've done no such thing

I stand corrected, it appears to be working again. The other day it was just redirecting back to the main page.
steviebuk2000

Postby steviebuk2000 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:09 am

defect9 wrote:These adds suck. I'm getting the ones that pop up in front of my workspace as well. I didn't pay to get stuck with adds. I didn't pay to help support the game. I paid to open up stuff for me, the consumer, to get access to player-made levels, by others who also paid.

refund, or remove the adds for the 1% (or less) who paid. that's my vote

Agreed. I paid to gain access to the extra levels not to have ads. Maybe it might be possible to take up a case with Paypal for refunds. Failing that, getting Visa to try and get the refund back.
steviebuk2000

Postby ThreeSparks on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:25 am

ohkay, never posted here before, not really a forum kinda guy, but on this occasion i feel i have to say something.

I played FC for a while now, brought the "AD free version" pretty much as soon as i tried the freebie. since then, as you all
have, i have been spending the early hours tweaking and making contraption/levels for my own amusment and been enjoying the outcome.

Very seldom does a game hold my attention for this long, but since the ads came i only tried to play once, and found a very unstable/laggy
game :(

The simple fact is, i paid for an AD free version, at least that is what it said on the start screen prior to me handing over my hard earned cash.
So clearly i have been decived, and feel more than a little pi**ed off by this.
I wont ask for a refund, as i have spent many hours playing the ad free version and do feel i have got my moneys worth, i only beg with whoever it concerns to work on something to rid the 1% of Ads, i read the previous posts on this and understand this is not going to be an easy thing to do, but so far the lack of response from the games creators/owners has been deafening.

All in all this has left a bad taste in the mouth, and i will be making a point of avoiding anything with inXile involvement in future.
Since it was them who brought the ads.

bizdev@inxile-entertainment.com

feel free to spam them with unwanted rubbish the way we are now spamed with it!

I'll try FC again in a few weeks, hopefully things will have improved by then, if not...bye bye FC :(
Such a shame
ThreeSparks

Postby jlkinney on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:30 am

Here is a copy of the email I just sent InExile.........................

At issue are a few points to consider:
1. When I happily paid my :10bux: via PP for FC (something that I have NEVER done for ANY online game before, even Line Rider) I did so with the understanding that it was AD FREE! Now the ads are such a hindrance that you can't even bear to play the game at the same level as before.
2. The game performance has been horrendous! Long lag times, slow game performance and according to some SWF programmers of mine poor code enhancements has made a horrible game experience that has degraded since my purchase. In fact it has degraded to the point that I can no longer bear to play the game at all.
What the heck do you think you are doing?
I have let this go on long enough and I have decided to do something proactive as the counsumer.
I am waiting until this Friday to see if there is any progress in either the game performance or the AD issue (I am part of the 1% who does not want ads because I paid for the ad free experience). If I see progress in either area I will continue to wait it out to see where everything goes. If I do not see progress I am filing a grievance with PayPal for a refund of my :10bux: . This doesn't seem like much but as the consumer I have the right to expect a certain level of performance equal to that that was provided upon my payment for the extended version.
I regret this, but for too long in numerous areas of commerce the consumer has been the bearer of the burden for poor business decisions. I am choosing to do something in MY behalf.

BTW, if you want to talk to someone who learned the hard way about how to tick off their user base call Turbine Entertainment and ask them about Acherons Call 2...............This feels like way back then when they would do "server upgrades" .

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:goalc: :goalc:
\____/
jlkinney

Postby supermax2829 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:08 am

Is there a way to avoid ads? It slows down the game, and sometime freezes it momentarily... It really is a pain in the *&*!!! I think as paying member we should not have to see the ads ... maybe just having the possibility to turn them off we be enough!

Max
supermax2829

Postby tmusquiez on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:13 am

supermax2829 wrote:Is there a way to avoid ads? It slows down the game, and sometime freezes it momentarily... It really is a pain in the *&*!!! I think as paying member we should not have to see the ads ... maybe just having the possibility to turn them off we be enough!

Max

If you have Firefox than you can visit this thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3168
tmusquiez

Postby Jnice on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:09 pm

Please get rid of the damn talking ads. They are annoying, and I'm positive there isnt one person on this board who thinks they will actually win a wii by clicking on the banner. I'm not saying anything new but I seriously hope you guys get rid of the ads or at least get a better class of ads. No pop ups, or ads that scream something when I mouse over them. I also suggest you contact the people who created N for some advice. They made a great game that was free, and they didnt have to resort to a screen flanked by ads. Now they have it on xbox live arcade and a version for ds. I'm sure they made a ton of money and they still manage to have a large loyal fanbase.

Executive summary:
Tone down the ads.
Jnice

Postby sdalbert on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:44 pm

My two cents are this:

If advertisements are what it takes to keep the site running, do what you have to do, but don't expect your patrons to be happy or to stick around. My primary complaint here is that the game performs poorly enough as it is on today's ordinary, modern computer and the animated, expanding Flash advertisements with sound and embedded video cause severe delays in the game. Internet Explorer 7 locked up solid for about 15 seconds on my P4 3.0 with a gig and a half of memory last night while an advertisement loaded.

I recall reading that only 1% of your visitors are paying members. Would losing 1% of your advertisement income break the bank? Honor your paying members by giving them the faster-running version of the game they paid for. Offer the incentive of ad-free gaming to non-paying members and keep 99% of your advertisement profits. The worst possible scenario is that non-paying members simply stop visiting, in which case you'll have to revise your advertisement plan due to the lost income. The best and more likely scenario (in my opinion) is that non-paying members realize the fun that can be had with the game and become paying members simply to remove the painful advertisements. I'm pretty sure $10.00 has to be more money than you would make off of one person from advertisement income over a reasonable amount of time.

I'll continue playing for now while hoping my wishes here come true and while hoping all of these server issues are resolved, though I can understand server issues. Happy gaming to everyone.
sdalbert

Postby spinner1 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:39 pm

I'm not part of the 1% who paid $10 for access to higher levels and what not. I was going to be but now I won't. The advertisements have killed the pleasant experience here and I have no inclination to fork over $10 while dealing with pop-ups and slow page loading.

This was a great site but now it's just another site using my time as a revenue generator. You’ve been officially de-listed from my “Favorites” list.
spinner1

Postby dj-anakin on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:58 pm

I am one of the supposed 1% who paid for more of FC< but since the ads went up, I just don't feel like playing. i can tell you right now i'll never click one ad on this site. Why should I? I've already paid!

The rest of the internet figured it out... admins... get your ♥♥♥♥ in line and get rid of the ads for paying customers.

Until then, I guess i'm done refering people to the site... and I know 6 people who paid after I refered them. Nice going. Way to lose business.
dj-anakin

Postby weasel on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:40 pm

See the thrilling conclusion here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3553
weasel

Previous

Return to The Dev Dish