Adverts

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Adverts

Postby pacifist on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:08 am

Hello fellow Contraptioneers, Contraptionistas, and members of the Greater Commonwealth of Contraptionania.

You have probably noticed that in the last few days the game has been running very well. It's running better than it has in months, back when we had much less traffic. Back before we got over a million people a month and had over 4 million saved contraptions. It is absolutely singing along.

But you probably also noticed that we had a rough couple of days in there getting things moved over. If you're a long-time fan then you'll know we have a history of days like that. The difference is this time it's going to stick. It's not going to get overwhelmed in a month. That's because we have some smokin' hardware and some professional server guys sitting behind it now.

To facilitate this we're going to give ads another try. When you get a lot of traffic ads start to make a lot more sense. And we think we can use the money they bring in to keep the servers top-notch. Which means no more timeouts. No more days when it takes 5 minutes to load a level. And most importantly: no more Lost Masterpieces.

We really love and appreciate those of you are generous enough to pay for the full version. And the full version isn't going anywhere. But you are less than 1% of our visitors. So this is an attempt to get the great heaving bandwidth-sucking masses to chip in their share.

Anyway, lets go have some fun. Ads or no ads I've got a couple of levels I'm right in the middle of finishing.

Colin Northway
pacifist
Site Admin

Re: Adverts

Postby minisimp on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 am

Got to get money for FC2 somewhere right? :lol:
minisimp

Postby weasel on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:27 am

Just a quick clarification, there will still be :10bux: charge for the level editor, etc... All is the same, just with ads.
weasel

Postby pacifist on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:31 am

minisimp wrote:Got to get money for FC2 somewhere right? :lol:

You may be closer to the truth than you think
pacifist
Site Admin

Postby minisimp on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:36 am

pacifist wrote:
minisimp wrote:Got to get money for FC2 somewhere right? :lol:

You may be closer to the truth than you think

That makes me all happy inside.
minisimp

Postby runescapeman on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:44 am

How about if you pay for the full version, you get no ads. That'll get you some more money!
runescapeman

Postby minisimp on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 am

runescapeman wrote:How about if you pay for the full version, you get no ads. That'll get you some more money!

I like that idea!
minisimp

Postby fizzo on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:21 pm

How about making a few more features and instead of 21 levels, 30 levels and let that be the gold edition of fantastic contraption and it be for sale ( like the full edition ) but for $13.50. That will make money ( I would buy it )!
Last edited by fizzo on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
fizzo

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:04 pm

fizzo wrote:How about making a few more features and instead of 21 levels, 30 levels and let that be the gold edition of fantastic contraption and it be for sale ( like the full edition ) but for $8.50. That will make money ( I would buy it )!

I definately wouldn't you might as well pay $1.50 more if your a money waisting person
you say like 10 level for $8.50 and thousands for $1.50 more no way

about the adds i think the level maker should be free its only a level maker gosh but if you pay there arn't adds
VERYDUMBNAME

Postby darkeagle on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:25 pm

i won't mind the ads(i hope).
but...
runescapeman wrote:How about if you pay for the full version, you get no ads. That'll get you some more money!

instead of that, how about if you buy the full version, you can choose to turn the ads on or off.
but don't put them in the game, put them around the game window.
darkeagle

Postby Crocko on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:14 pm

I saw someone say that making more levels that you have to pay 8.50$ for. Custom made levels by really smart people (maybe more than 1000) maybe 9 more levels by the creators of fantastic contraption wouldn't be as good. I'm not saying that the levels that were already made aren't good, I got sustained by them for more than a month. Now I play player made levels and I like them more (I play the non player created levels some too) so I am glad that I payed the :10bux: I hope more do because I want fantastic contraption to stay awsome. Well hope you keep making fantastic contraption awsome. A little hint for those wannabe cool posters to make a post link do: url=<Instert URL Here> <What you want to post here /url (put [ ] around the /url and the url=<Insert URL Here>.
Crocko

Postby WhyT on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:23 pm

The ads are up and I officially hate them. I buy my movies so I don't get commercials. I built a Media Center computer and pay my cable bill so I can skip commercials. I pay for 3 XM radio subscriptions a month so I don't have to listen to commercials. I pay for my internet and use Firefox and Ad-blocker Plus so I don't have to have ads on my websites. I donate yearly to some of my favorite forums as to help them cover costs and not have ads. And lastly I pay for the games I play so I don't have to have commercials and ads.

I think this is BS.

I understand that I get a better server out of the deal and you get to make more money. I also understand that you put alot of work into everything and deserve something for it. But I paid for it. I don't need to pay for it again.

But if it is only 1% of the players actually paying for the game then give them something. Like a ad free work place.

And for the biggest reason why I don't like the ads. Is that I use the scroll on my mouse to zoom in and out of the levels. Which also will scroll the page up and down. Which isn't a big deal as the work area only moves a few pixels in either way before. NOW with the shitty ads it moves a bunch, so I have to scroll to zoom then have to click the little scroll arrow to adjust my work area.

I HATE inconveniences. And I'm afraid that if you can't help out the 1% who originally supported you than maybe I won't be able to support you anymore or play your game.
WhyT

Postby bluefin907 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:30 pm

I've been enjoying this site for a couple months, almost every day. The ads ruin it for me. I'd pay more to eliminate them.
bluefin907

Postby tmusquiez on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:31 pm

the ads suck. I'm looking at a car one right now. I don't particularly care for Subaru.
tmusquiez

Postby WhyT on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:40 pm

bluefin907 wrote:I've been enjoying this site for a couple months, almost every day. The ads ruin it for me. I'd pay more to eliminate them.

Why should we have to pay AGAIN to get rid of them? We've already supported and paid our dues. If we pay again then what is next, a monthly fee?
WhyT

Postby Heliwr on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:46 pm

Ugh, hate the ads. If only 1% of users buy the game then it should be a very small hit to your ad revenue to allow paying users to play ad-free.

Cheers
Heliwr

Postby Dr. Phil on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:49 pm

If anything, online ads make me hate something more, not want to buy them. And they give me a headache
Dr. Phil

Postby jofjltn4 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:00 pm

These are some particularly annoying ads too. Maybe it's because they're in stark contrast to the beautiful simplicity of the game...

...or maybe it's because I feel like I shouldn't have to endure them since I've paid my $10. Yeah, I think that's probably it.

J
jofjltn4

Postby ChefBoy6382 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:02 pm

As an early full member I agree that we paid users should have the option to turn ads off. But thanks again for the faster game. Way more fun!!!
ChefBoy6382

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:11 pm

I think adds rock first of all they can be funny (please try to put funny adds I like them) and anyway they don't mess up anything. With adds maybe there shouldn't be the :10bux: thing. please keep the adds I would much rather have adds than pay money

P.S. i really like Darkeagles new avitar
VERYDUMBNAME

Next

Return to The Dev Dish