Adverts

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: Adverts

Postby boebi on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:19 am

weasel wrote:
boebi wrote:I thought you were running smokin' hardware?

Smokin' hardware isn't cheap, and the game will not survive without ads. That is all there is to it, really. Unless our conversion rate mysteriously goes through the roof and stays there for years...

The only question that remains is who we show the ads to, and that is what we are working on now. If we can eliminate the ads from a small but important slice of the population to keep them happy, we will! But if that turns out to be 80% of our ad revenue, we might as well not post ads at all...

And the game would die.

Well since everyone is gonna leave this game because of the ads the game is gonna die anyway.

Smokin' hardware my ♥♥♥... If it really were smokin' hardware it would be able to run a flash game for a few people...
boebi

Postby haredeenee on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:18 am

i agree, its such a simple cocept, and yet you cant grasp the public out pour against the ads.

if over 1000 pp say the ads have to go, ther ussaully right!
haredeenee

Postby tmusquiez on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:22 am

You guys must be plain ignorant if you don't realize that FC needs the ads to generate some sort of income due to the fact that people just want and want to milk everything out of this game without supporting it. . If you don't like it, then make a g--damn effort to pay $10 and maybe then we can do without the ads.
tmusquiez

Postby vitrify on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:42 am

tmusquiez wrote:You guys must be plain ignorant if you don't realize that FC needs the ads to generate some sort of income due to the fact that people just want and want to milk everything out of this game without supporting it. . If you don't like it, then make a g--damn effort to pay $10 and maybe then we can do without the ads.

There would be a lot more incentive to pay the $10 if it meant the ads would go away.
vitrify

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:45 am

tmusquiez wrote:You guys must be plain ignorant if you don't realize that FC needs the ads to generate some sort of income due to the fact that people just want and want to milk everything out of this game without supporting it. . If you don't like it, then make a g--damn effort to pay $10 and maybe then we can do without the ads.

they might remove adds if you pay as much money as the adds create.. which is alot
VERYDUMBNAME

Postby tmusquiez on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:54 am

Are you kidding? You think two ads on each page are going to be enough to carry the entire FC community that wants to get the game free? Wake up. The day that happens is the day all paid members get reimbursed.
tmusquiez

Postby 2008chris on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:40 am

tmusquiez wrote:Are you kidding? You think two ads on each page are going to be enough to carry the entire FC community that wants to get the game free? Wake up. The day that happens is the day all paid members get reimbursed.

I agree. A while ago i hated the ads. Now i dont mind them anymore cause their not perverted. Everything fell into place for me when i bought the game. the game ran smoother,and i could make myself fell better knowing im helping the community. and to show you paid for the game, you can get my funky avatar that shows that im contributing.
2008chris

Postby Dr.X on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:52 pm

Dear FC community members demanding refunds,
Grow up. FC needs the ads as a source of income to keep the game running, so saying that the game will be better and more business-viable without the ads is like saying shooting yourself in the foot will make you run faster. Also, if you haven't noticed, this is the 21st century, and advertising is everywhere we look-- on the TV, in our home, and the internet, so the idea of ads on an internet game isn't new, and honestly, you really should've been expecting that ads would come along eventually when $10 from everyone who bought the game wasn't enough to keep it running. Now that the ads are family-appropriate, just tune them out. It's really not that hard.
Dr.X

Postby tmusquiez on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Might I add the fact that people do have the resources to block the as at their discretion.
tmusquiez

Postby gushen on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:55 pm

I think that The community aspect of FC is dying. The community of paid users and hardcore players is not the focus of FC by a long range. All that matters now are the people discovering the site by accident and struggling to complete the free levels and getting all excited because of it. No offense to anyone, but I completed all levels in one afternoon and paid for the game in the very next day. i wasn't very excited with the free levels, that's why I paid and got more than i could ever hope for.

anyway, it's already beginning. we can see this forum becoming just a pit stop for waves of new players that will die out quickly just to be replaced by others. some players are already gone. maybe it's due to Christmas, but i don't think so.
gushen

Postby SuperD on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:19 pm

im no longer interested in promoting this game to my friends.

the ads can pay for it.
SuperD

Postby leipo on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:20 pm

I am really dissapointed with ads for paid users like myself. I hope you rethink this through and come up with a better solution.
leipo

Postby Vaelek on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:25 pm

This is absolutely ridiculous! Paid users make up ~1% of all users, what is being gained by making all current customers angry. I am no longer promoting this game to my friends. Already I have been directly responsible for at a minimum 20 paid members. Not one more will come from me as long as this blatant disregard continues. I have gotten quite accustomed to loading the swf directly, it is great to be able to maximize the playing area. Since the money grubbing owners of this game figured out people like me were also avoiding ads (that at the time I didn't even know about), the swf itself has been recoded to disallow it. Rest assured I will find a way around it if it means creating a specialized app to distribute. This game is far too awesome to let it get brought down like this. If you will not listen to your established customers, then we will find a way to defeat your efforts.
Vaelek

Postby gushen on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Vaelek wrote:This is absolutely ridiculous! Paid users make up ~1% of all users, what is being gained by making all current customers angry. I am no longer promoting this game to my friends. Already I have been directly responsible for at a minimum 20 paid members. Not one more will come from me as long as this blatant disregard continues. I have gotten quite accustomed to loading the swf directly, it is great to be able to maximize the playing area. Since the money grubbing owners of this game figured out people like me were also avoiding ads (that at the time I didn't even know about), the swf itself has been recoded to disallow it. Rest assured I will find a way around it if it means creating a specialized app to distribute. This game is far too awesome to let it get brought down like this. If you will not listen to your established customers, then we will find a way to defeat your efforts.

it looks like that the swf is still accessible through firefox for some reason, but you must load the main page first. i actually found a way to hack the swf thing, but i think that the FC guys still deserve a chance before this kind of thing becomes necessary.
gushen

Postby Marrell on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:51 pm

I've had a level "Working..." on saving for 20 minutes now. Hooray!
Marrell

Postby Vaelek on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:52 pm

I have found a way using 2 lines of javascript int he address bar to continue loading the full screen game.

For now I'm not going to post it in the forum as directly loading the swf first stopped working days after I posted the url to it. If you want the info, send me a PM on here and I will give it to you.
Vaelek

Postby Dummyisdumb on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:36 pm

More ads on forum, less ads on game?
Dummyisdumb

Postby tmusquiez on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:41 pm

There should be like 10 pages FC never links to that should have the ads lol. Assuming we don't have to click on them.
tmusquiez

Postby JasonJones on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:00 pm

Weasel... A week ago you said in response to everyone's posts that you guys were evaluating, collecting data, and would make a decision on Friday. Friday has passed, the ads are still there and there is no post from the powers that be saying one way or the other.

Can you Let us know once and for all are they staying or are they going away for paid users? Quit pulling out cranks and stringing it out, just give the final answer as it was supposedly decided on Friday.

Thank you (A Paid/(still paying evidently) customer)
Jason
JasonJones

Postby weasel on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Dheeley wrote after my last post saying there'd be a few day delay - I'm thinking probably early next week we'll have a decision. :)
weasel

PreviousNext

Return to The Dev Dish