Server Outage: Resolved!

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: Server Outage: Resolved!

Postby NightStryke on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:50 pm

pacifist wrote:Personally I'm pretty pleased that I didn't accidentally delete everything.

You realize, of course, that if you had you would have found a pitchfork-and-torch-wielding mob outside your house. :P
NightStryke

Postby pacifist on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:53 pm

You have no idea how vividly that flashed in front of my eyes when I was doing this.
pacifist
Site Admin

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:56 pm

pacifist wrote:Welcome to happyville! Population: everyone

Made some changes to the database structure. And I'm pretty sure I'm not counting unhatched fowl when I say that the problems should be behind us. Smooth sailing ahead!

Twister, your saves should be back. If they aren't... well... I'm sorry.

Personally I'm pretty pleased that I didn't accidentally delete everything.

Thanks! and nice job, :)

Out of curiosity, are unpublished/unviewed designs and levels ever deleted?
The only way I could see this being implemented is by having a counter for number of views each design/level gets, and if it doesn't reach, say 5 views after the first month of it being posted, then it goes in the trash.
Otherwise, how do you handle the 450 thousand designs, half of which are never viewed?
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby pacifist on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:12 pm

I don't even delete deleted designs.

But the real problem was that I was storing the level/contraption info along with the user, publish state, and save name info. That is, I stored the position of all the wheels and rods and stuff next to info about the design. Like who made it.

But every time you view your saved designs it has to go through and sift your levels out from everyone elses levels. But asking it to do that while also tripping over all the wheel-position info got us in trouble. There was just too much stuff to sift through.

So I put all the position info into it's own little bucket. And deleted the position info from the bucket with the other stuff. Note that word 'deleted'. I don't like that word. I find that word stressfull. Full of stress. But I don't appear to have destroyed everything. So yay.

(obviously that was an attempt to explain the problem in 2nd grader, in coder: the design table was 6 gig and it turns out running selects on a 6gig table is not always a good idea).

This was all exacerbated when we 'upgraded' to the new server this morning. Which it turns out was a downgrade in one very important way. So instead of having this problem crop up slowly, giving us time to fix it, everything exploded in our faces.

Fun day eh? I'm going for a pint.
pacifist
Site Admin

Postby HexOxide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Yes, there's a very good reason I hate databases... HATESES THEM! *hisses* But alas, they are a necessity in most cases. You will live and learn Pacifist, sadly we all learn the hard way, but one day, database optimization will be your friend... *nods* OK I can't bear lying to you, you will hate them always, it will never get better :(
HexOxide

Postby trav on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Resolved! to finding another host?
trav

Postby NightStryke on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:22 pm

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:Out of curiosity, are unpublished/unviewed designs and levels ever deleted?
The only way I could see this being implemented is by having a counter for number of views each design/level gets, and if it doesn't reach, say 5 views after the first month of it being posted, then it goes in the trash.
Otherwise, how do you handle the 450 thousand designs, half of which are never viewed?

I imagine that if such a feature hasn't already been implemented it will have to be eventually, considering how many problems the server's already had in the first month; it can only get worse if allowed to build up. Of course, the issues more complicated than that, since designs and levels don't necessarily have to be published and thus won't necessarily be viewed, while at the same time many saved, non-published designs and levels are just trash (hell, I'm guilty of having dozens of "work in progress" saves that I really should go back and delete) and so would still need some method of automatic deletion.

pacifist wrote:So I put all the position info into it's own little bucket. And deleted the position info from the bucket with the other stuff. Note that word 'deleted'. I don't like that word. I find that word stressfull. Full of stress. But I don't appear to have destroyed everything. So yay.

Ah, I see. I always hate deleting large quantities of data after copying them to new locations, as I'm always afraid that something may have been missed or gone wrong with the copy (I've been burned by it before). I can only imagine how much worse it would be when dealing with the designs thousands of people. I can see now how vividly that image must have flashed in your mind. :D
NightStryke

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm

pacifist wrote:I don't even delete deleted designs.
in coder: the design table was 6 gig and it turns out running selects on a 6gig table is not always a good idea

lol, and lol. At the rate people are finding out about this game, 6 gigs is gonna just keep growing :)

Well everything is back to normal again, so thank you very much. Go enjoy your pint (another level that will never be deleted :lol:) [Thats carbonation in the beer, btw.. and yes, I designed that in like 8 seconds]

:P
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby HexOxide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:38 pm

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:
pacifist wrote:I don't even delete deleted designs.
in coder: the design table was 6 gig and it turns out running selects on a 6gig table is not always a good idea

lol, and lol. At the rate people are finding out about this game, 6 gigs is gonna just keep growing :)

Well everything is back to normal again, so thank you very much. Go enjoy your pint (another level that will never be deleted :lol:) [Thats carbonation in the beer, btw.. and yes, I designed that in like 8 seconds]

Never say never!!! I had to solve it! With a little Hex twist!

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=419886
HexOxide

Postby Breaku on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:13 pm

Lol, didn't you take a DBA course!?
Breaku

Postby pacifist on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:36 pm

Not so much.

My specialties lie elsewhere.

And, really, I thought I'd get to something like 400 saved contraptions. Not 400 thousand.
pacifist
Site Admin

Postby Breaku on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:00 pm

DBA is boring anyway.
Breaku

Postby HexOxide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:04 pm

Success has its drawbacks :D
HexOxide

Postby Entity on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 am

HexOxide wrote:Never say never!!! I had to solve it! With a little Hex twist!

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=419886

OOoh hex... I like the name -.-
Entity

Postby Twilightzero on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:13 am

I added a twist of lemon and some ice for Date Rape on the Rocks :D

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=431411
Twilightzero

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:26 am

Twilightzero wrote:I added a twist of lemon and some ice for Date Rape on the Rocks :D

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=431411

:lol: :lol:
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby NightStryke on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Gah! Again! And I was saving two contraptions this time!
NightStryke

Postby pacifist on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Sorry about that! That was a ram upgrade!
pacifist
Site Admin

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:55 pm

pacifist wrote:Sorry about that! That was a ram upgrade!

This RAM must be Accessing the Memory a little too Randomly

OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby pacifist on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm

And the last hour was them trying to fix the botched ram upgrade.

This has been a trying few days.
pacifist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Dev Dish