Badges and Challenges: Extending Your Game!

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: Badges and Challenges: Extending Your Game!

Postby piratemonkey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:37 am

piratemonkey

Postby Wild Tangent on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:16 am

never mind
Last edited by Wild Tangent on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Tangent

Postby Wild Tangent on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:19 am

P.S.: I had trouble deciding where to put this message, so to all who have read it, I hope that this is a much visited forum. Please, tell your friends to give me their opinions on this!
Wild Tangent

Postby Skips on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:35 am

Wild Tangent wrote:I think what would be amazing would be if this game was turned into a CD-ROM, with the prime feature being... 3-D gameworld!
How about it? Does anyone out there know anyone who has connections to a software company?

Consider... Rope rods, chain links, electrical systems, new badges, possibly enemies to defeat, premade shapes, an air-cannon, magnets, new wheels (spiked wheel, turbo wheel, swiveling wheel),new rods(ceramic, rubber, FUSE), new ITEMS(such as napalm and snowplows) customization and combined objects, even pieces that are timed for masters to tweak, and steel rods that stick up without help.

The world is in a state of technology, so how about effects? Water and sand hazards, rocks and blades(which you could, theoretically, use for catapults), fire (would catch on to wood rod and destroy it), etc.

Finally, a series of areas, each with it's own online connection to this Fantastic Contraption forum. How about an underwater zone, a sports-themed area (volleyball!) and a muddy area where a poorly built contraption would get bogged down? It would be creativity UNRESTRAINED!!!!! Could this be a future possibility? Could the games designers give me their thoughts on this?

All of those things sound like interesting concepts, but the main point is that FC is simple, not complicated. Other games benefit from more options or more effects, but this game gets it's edge from being so very simple.
Skips

Postby Wild Tangent on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Skips wrote:
Wild Tangent wrote:I think what would be amazing would be if this game was turned into a CD-ROM, with the prime feature being... 3-D gameworld!
How about it? Does anyone out there know anyone who has connections to a software company?

Consider... Rope rods, chain links, electrical systems, new badges, possibly enemies to defeat, premade shapes, an air-cannon, magnets, new wheels (spiked wheel, turbo wheel, swiveling wheel),new rods(ceramic, rubber, FUSE), new ITEMS(such as napalm and snowplows) customization and combined objects, even pieces that are timed for masters to tweak, and steel rods that stick up without help.

The world is in a state of technology, so how about effects? Water and sand hazards, rocks and blades(which you could, theoretically, use for catapults), fire (would catch on to wood rod and destroy it), etc.

Finally, a series of areas, each with it's own online connection to this Fantastic Contraption forum. How about an underwater zone, a sports-themed area (volleyball!) and a muddy area where a poorly built contraption would get bogged down? It would be creativity UNRESTRAINED!!!!! Could this be a future possibility? Could the games designers give me their thoughts on this?

All of those things sound like interesting concepts, but the main point is that FC is simple, not complicated. Other games benefit from more options or more effects, but this game gets it's edge from being so very simple.

Everybody has there own perspectives and opinions, so I accept that. However, wouldn't you think that rope and gears would save a lot of trouble?
Wild Tangent

Postby rabid squirrel on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:47 am

I agree with Skips all the way. If we turn this into a "real game" it loses its value.

You can take my favorite example, line rider. Beta 2 is still FAR more popular than anything InXile made. (INCLUDING unbound - this is a fact, not an opinion) I won't give a long explanation unless you ask for it.
rabid squirrel

Postby johema on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:52 am

Suggestion for a new badge

I suggest a badge for contraptions that completes the level without ever leaving the build area at all.
Here is an example that allmost (but not quite) earns the badge. To be fair it is not my creation, but it illustrates the purpose of the badge.
http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=4501248
The badge could be named "Compact" or something like that.
johema

Postby BapfelOrange on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Afronanny mentioned this badge before in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4504&p=84649&hilit=homebound#p84516 . he called it "Homebound"....but it never got it's own thread afaik.
BapfelOrange

Postby Thyrth on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 am

Preety cool I'm a newbie and I think this game rocks bought the whole thing last night
Thyrth

Postby mtdewd on Sun May 17, 2009 4:32 am

Pony request for a standard rodless unconnected badge ( Image ). It's getting used a lot in comps now.
Last edited by mtdewd on Tue May 19, 2009 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
mtdewd

Postby rabid squirrel on Sun May 17, 2009 10:58 am

^ do you mean unconnected? :P
rabid squirrel

Previous

Return to The Dev Dish