Official Contest Chat

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby jhwang01 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Krishnaa, or roboboys, or whatever you call yourself these days...it sounds like you're worried about yourself getting caught. If you have a -20 score (as you so stated) I don't think you have anything to worry about, aside from getting caught that is.

BTW, it says that you joined FC on Mar 15, 2009 9:15pm (coincidentally the exact time that Krishnaa stopped posting on this string). Creating a new account right in the middle of the contest is pretty suspicious, no? Maybe I'm just like you, "...don't feel good when I lose when people abuse loop-holes in the rules." On second thought, I'm NOTHING like you, or your alter ego Krishnaa. Trust me on that one.
jhwang01

Postby weasel on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Chill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qFIaI1M5kU

(don't raise a little hell)
weasel

Postby roboboys on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:21 pm

I joined because my friend told me to join after he quit...

@jhwang01
Can you please stop this. It is getting very annoying -_-
roboboys

Postby jhwang01 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:37 pm

In the interest of not "raising a little hell" I'll stop chiming in. But like you roboboys, "I'm just speaking my mind."

I hope my post was entertaining for some, which is what I intended to do.
jhwang01

Postby luski09 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:38 pm

only 4 1/2 hours!! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME! :ccwheel:
luski09

Postby lvlark on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:43 pm

omg ofc.. it's a second to midnight, but not Paris time.. I thought the contest was over already, and was wondering why there were no designs about... :oops:
lvlark

Postby roboboys on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:51 pm

There should be a countdown timer on the site, so people in different time zones know when the contest ends exactly.

But you could always look at the forum for the current hour, unless your timezone is PST!!!
roboboys

Postby compscure on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:59 pm

robo, don't you ever change (or take the pills they give you)! You are a delight.
compscure

Postby LTLFTC on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:12 pm

compscure wrote:robo, don't you ever change (or take the pills they give you)! You are a delight.

I agree. It takes all sorts to make the world go around, besides some of those bullxxxx posts made me think out side the box a little and improved my displacement score by 8, so thanks krishnaa roboboys the man in the iron mask whoever you are.
LTLFTC

Postby roboboys on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:15 pm

When you say improved by 8, do you mean you have a score of -10 now?
roboboys

Postby LTLFTC on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:28 pm

roboboys wrote:When you say improved by 8, do you mean you have a score of -10 now?

that would be telling
LTLFTC

Postby roboboys on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:41 pm

So, I guess that is a yes then; otherwise, if you said no, you wouldn't be telling, right? :)
roboboys

Postby Jely on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:49 pm

Weasel,

If roboboys is in the top 10, please scrutinize his entry with extra care. He has shown classic signs of lying and is definitely high risk for such activity.

Let's quickly go over the history:
Krishnaa posted scores in which at least one was a lie (4 point canyon). He then lied again to cover up that lie. Then he apparently had a bunch of other "mistypes" to account for things that didn't quite add up. Krishnaa claimed to have a ridiculously low score but couldn't submit it because "his brother" had already submitted. He then asked if "a friend" could still enter. Now, that friend who is, just by chance, equally obnoxious has an similarly ridiculously low score. Now this friend is asking if you will be able to catch cheaters. Hmm? That's what I would do if I was planning on cheating.

If he's not cheating, he shouldn't be worried. But I would think even he, or anyone of reasonable intelligence, would agree that he is high risk due to another user logging in from his computer. Since he is so concerned with everything being fair, I'm sure he won't have a problem with this.

No hard feelings Roboboys, I just want things to be fair as well. Again, nothing to worry about if you're not cheating.
Last edited by Jely on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jely

Postby if(x) on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:51 pm

To prevent people from just trying a bunch of design IDs in sequence in order to find others' solutions, we could lower the probability of hitting a working design ID by a fair extent (a great deal below the ~100% it is right now).

This could be accomplished pretty easily, without much change to the systems already in place. Just add three random digits to the end of the design ID, and probability of hitting a working link becomes 1 in 1000. This method wouldn't cause the links to get much bigger (or more complicated, like a separate GET variable might) and design IDs would still be scalable (you won't run out of them). The technique can easily be made backwards-compatible too, I.E.:
Code: Select all
if (verify(check_digits, designID) || designID < some_number) {
    //Do whatever
}

Anyway, the contest was pretty fun. I never got Gate Keeper working rodless or Stuck down to negatives, so I'll be excited to see the winning solutions.
Great Job everyone!
if(x)

Postby LTLFTC on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:52 pm

Has anyone else found they can't duplicate there own designs. I spent ages tweaking displacement to get it to go faster and couldn't so I thought I would rebuild it from scratch. No matter how long I spent I couldn't get it to work again. On canyon I would sometimes have a great 1st contaption and a great 2nd contraption but on different saves so I would try to build one on the other, never got it to work the same way. Makes me wonder how much of this is luck.
Last edited by LTLFTC on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTLFTC

Postby if(x) on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:55 pm

I found just the opposite.
I had Canyon tweaked down as low as I thought it could go, but when I came back a few days later and removed a piece I got it working in the same number of ticks within ten or fifteen minutes.
if(x)

Postby LTLFTC on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:57 pm

if(x) wrote:I found just the opposite.
I had Canyon tweaked down as low as I thought it could go, but when I came back a few days later and removed a piece I got it working in the same number of ticks within ten or fifteen minutes.

Yeah that happend to me as well, I mean duplicate it exactly so it behaves the same way with the same design
LTLFTC

Postby xhawkx on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:19 pm

I have noticed that the physics engine processes pieces in a certain order. If you delete a piece and put it right back, the order the pieces are processed now changes and the physics can change.
xhawkx

Postby pillageTHENburn on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Amen to that xhawkx. At the moment I find this anomaly rather annoying however if I were clever enough to figure out just exactly WHAT changes when a piece is deleted then replaced it would stand to reason that one could use this knowledge to their advantage. Hmmm... I doubt I have the time or will to do that. But if someone else knows I am very curious!
On another note, I just started from scratch on a level I had spent THREE DAYS perfecting and conquered it in about 40 minutes with one fewer point! Had I actually learned anything from those three days of messing around they wouldn't have been wasted. As it stands I think they were. This is now my best scoring level! Well... it was before too, but now it's my bester scoring level!! I have high hopes now of being in the top 250 or so... (trying for top 100 (who am I kidding I'm trying for top 10, but 100 seems more attainable)).

This forum is hilarious by the way. There are a few people on here that I'm sure are fascinating in real life.
pillageTHENburn

Postby LTLFTC on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 pm

Yeah I love(hated) that feature. I spent days rebuilding things in different order and I think I only manage to improve things once.
On another note I definitely think the next comp needs a disgruntled wife/significant other thread, where they can vent and see that they're not alone. :argh:
LTLFTC

PreviousNext

Return to The Dev Dish