UNOFFICIAL CONTEST RESULTS

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby antistrophy on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Mine weren't even cave drawings; lines in the sand maybe...

I was soo proud of this
Stuck
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6420487

I liked my idea but never got it to work
Displacement
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6422447

So when are we going to see some "long ways"? :munch:
and some ipecac failures...
User avatar
antistrophy
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:26 am

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby GaminKWB on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:22 pm

aakay.net wrote:I've got to say that the designs are actually quite similar, score-wise, that is.

Displacement [-10 in 184 ticks]
Stuck [-6 in 60 ticks]
Be a Champ [-4 in 216 ticks]
Gate Keeper [-16 in 97 ticks]
Canyon [+7 in 295 ticks]

FINAL SCORE: -29 with 852 ticks


More than just score-wise.
Our Gate Keepers appear to be identical. In fact, all 5 wheels are in the exact same location (at least from what you can tell by comparing them in the game)
Mine: http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=6864194
Yours: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6878122
GaminKWB
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:03 pm
Location: Riverside, Ca

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby compscure on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Intrigue.
Let's take it FCML....

Why .net, it would appear you have an, ahem, muse
Last edited by compscure on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
compscure
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby compscure on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:27 pm

; Design: Gate Keeper (#6878122)
; Author unknown
; Exported by FC Resource (http://fc.therisenrealm.com)

@name Gate Keeper
@description

; Build and goal areas
BuildArea (15.55, 17.6), (698.2, 244.3), 0
GoalArea (14.3, 338.65), (100, 100), 0

; Level objects
StaticRect (-174.2, 232.85), (349.5, 112.7), 0
StaticRect (203.35, 232.85), (352.4, 112.7), 0
StaticRect (-53.45, 321.55), (40.4, 152.9), 0
StaticRect (82.75, 337.55), (40.3, 122.6), 0
StaticRect (14.6, 403.9), (176.4, 37), 0
StaticRect (-335.55, 118.65), (27.5, 172.6), 0
StaticRect (365.55, 113.7), (27.5, 160.8), 0
DynamicCircle (367.2, 12.7), (39.2, 39.2), 0
DynamicCircle (-335.05, 13.6), (39.2, 39.2), 25.5138704275

; Goal and design objects
GoalRect#0 (15.8, 163.55), (25.4, 84.6), 90.1612334451
UnpowWheel#1 (-26.2, -75.75), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#2 (-74.6, -80.85), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#3 (-26.2, -35.75), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#4 (-134.3, 120.9), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#5 (-126.75, 81.35), (40, 40), 0

and

; Design: Gate 97 (#6864194)
; Author unknown
; Exported by FC Resource (http://fc.therisenrealm.com)

@name Gate 97
@description

; Build and goal areas
BuildArea (15.55, 17.6), (698.2, 244.3), 0
GoalArea (14.3, 338.65), (100, 100), 0

; Level objects
StaticRect (-174.2, 232.85), (349.5, 112.7), 0
StaticRect (203.35, 232.85), (352.4, 112.7), 0
StaticRect (-53.45, 321.55), (40.4, 152.9), 0
StaticRect (82.75, 337.55), (40.3, 122.6), 0
StaticRect (14.6, 403.9), (176.4, 37), 0
StaticRect (-335.55, 118.65), (27.5, 172.6), 0
StaticRect (365.55, 113.7), (27.5, 160.8), 0
DynamicCircle (367.2, 12.7), (39.2, 39.2), 0
DynamicCircle (-335.05, 13.6), (39.2, 39.2), 25.5138704275

; Goal and design objects
GoalRect#0 (15.8, 163.55), (25.4, 84.6), 90.1612334451
UnpowWheel#1 (-26.2, -75.75), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#2 (-74.6, -80.85), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#3 (-26.2, -35.75), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#4 (-134.3, 120.9), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#5 (-126.75, 81.35), (40, 40), 0
User avatar
compscure
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby perfectone4 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:30 pm

i knew i had no chance when i was making these, but i was floored when i saw the winning designs... another thing that surprised me was how many of these ideas that i tried basically and scrapped them as impossible, proved me wrong...

Displacement: 17 :champ:
Stuck: 4 :green: :handsoff:
Be a Champ: 15
Gate Keeper: 15 :handsoff: :champ:
Canyon: 29 :handsoff:
Total: 80
perfectone4
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby cset on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:36 pm

wow compscure

what are the chances of that, barring cheating...
cset
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:36 am

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby compscure on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:41 pm

It's looking good for #11.

benstaples was warning about this. Can't believe .net thought it would go unnoticed.
User avatar
compscure
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby UltraTRex on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:44 pm

my designs are awful (score wise) and I didn't spend very much time on them but meh, here they are:
Stuck
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6790105
Canyon
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6415753
Be a Champ
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6413872
Gate Keeper
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6412381

I didn't finish displacement
UltraTRex
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:33 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby tibushu on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Very impressive job by the winners and others. Here are my designs. Total of 0 points for the first four, but 24 points on Canyon :/

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6855214
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6855211
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6855205
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6855198
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6855190

I've never really tried to play the game minimizing rods and not using powered wheels before, it was an interesting change - trying to come up with what is possible and tweaking it just right to work, rather than just brute-forcing into the goal.

That said, I kept thinking my designs were getting more and more brilliant as I lowered my score over the last couple weeks. Now that I've seen whats really possible I'm surprised I manage to even dress myself every morning.
tibushu
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby Foro on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:00 pm

compscure wrote:; Design: Gate Keeper (#6878122)
; Author unknown
; Exported by FC Resource (http://fc.therisenrealm.com)

@name Gate Keeper
@description

; Build and goal areas
BuildArea (15.55, 17.6), (698.2, 244.3), 0
GoalArea (14.3, 338.65), (100, 100), 0

; Level objects
StaticRect (-174.2, 232.85), (349.5, 112.7), 0
StaticRect (203.35, 232.85), (352.4, 112.7), 0
StaticRect (-53.45, 321.55), (40.4, 152.9), 0
StaticRect (82.75, 337.55), (40.3, 122.6), 0
StaticRect (14.6, 403.9), (176.4, 37), 0
StaticRect (-335.55, 118.65), (27.5, 172.6), 0
StaticRect (365.55, 113.7), (27.5, 160.8), 0
DynamicCircle (367.2, 12.7), (39.2, 39.2), 0
DynamicCircle (-335.05, 13.6), (39.2, 39.2), 25.5138704275

; Goal and design objects
GoalRect#0 (15.8, 163.55), (25.4, 84.6), 90.1612334451
UnpowWheel#1 (-26.2, -75.75), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#2 (-74.6, -80.85), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#3 (-26.2, -35.75), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#4 (-134.3, 120.9), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#5 (-126.75, 81.35), (40, 40), 0

and

; Design: Gate 97 (#6864194)
; Author unknown
; Exported by FC Resource (http://fc.therisenrealm.com)

@name Gate 97
@description

; Build and goal areas
BuildArea (15.55, 17.6), (698.2, 244.3), 0
GoalArea (14.3, 338.65), (100, 100), 0

; Level objects
StaticRect (-174.2, 232.85), (349.5, 112.7), 0
StaticRect (203.35, 232.85), (352.4, 112.7), 0
StaticRect (-53.45, 321.55), (40.4, 152.9), 0
StaticRect (82.75, 337.55), (40.3, 122.6), 0
StaticRect (14.6, 403.9), (176.4, 37), 0
StaticRect (-335.55, 118.65), (27.5, 172.6), 0
StaticRect (365.55, 113.7), (27.5, 160.8), 0
DynamicCircle (367.2, 12.7), (39.2, 39.2), 0
DynamicCircle (-335.05, 13.6), (39.2, 39.2), 25.5138704275

; Goal and design objects
GoalRect#0 (15.8, 163.55), (25.4, 84.6), 90.1612334451
UnpowWheel#1 (-26.2, -75.75), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#2 (-74.6, -80.85), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#3 (-26.2, -35.75), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#4 (-134.3, 120.9), (40, 40), 0
UnpowWheel#5 (-126.75, 81.35), (40, 40), 0


they are THE SAME SAME SAME THING!
i think someone copied teh other ¬¬
User avatar
Foro
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 pm
Location: We didn't start the flame war, Peeps were hatin' on it fore I left my comment

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby compscure on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:02 pm

.net's 7 point Canyon also looks very similar to Nathan Witte's.

It isn't identical, but I imagine with that level there is some leeway to move the sticks a little and still have a workable solve. Where with Gamin's, moving anything seems to render it no good.
User avatar
compscure
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby GaminKWB on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:05 pm

I just want to say right now that I was not - and am not - implying or accusing anything. I was merely commenting, and showing others.
GaminKWB
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:03 pm
Location: Riverside, Ca

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby sean_gabriel on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:15 pm

It looks like I've posted the highest score one of the highest scores so far. Higher is better, right? ;)

I think I've posted the fastest canyon, though - mine clocks in at 291 ticks, and I was able to tweak it down to 284 after I submitted. Can anyone beat that? :) The closest I've seen posted so far is 296.
sean_gabriel
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:30 am

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby Sgt Superman on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:20 pm

I expect that krishnaa, oh woops I mean roboboys, oh sorry I mean aakay.net (well what ever you want to go by), I expect that his submision might get the banhammer thrown at it.
User avatar
Sgt Superman
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 am
Location: Lacey, WA

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby NightBlood09 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:26 pm

sean_gabriel wrote:It looks like I've posted the highest score one of the highest scores so far. Higher is better, right? ;)

I think I've posted the fastest canyon, though - mine clocks in at 291 ticks, and I was able to tweak it down to 284 after I submitted. Can anyone beat that? :) The closest I've seen posted so far is 296.


ive got canyon down to 286 but i guess i deleted it probably because it used powered wheels
NightBlood09
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby solzhenitsyn on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:45 pm

I know it doesn't compare to the winners, but I was really proud of my unpowered ropebridge on canyon:

http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=6893713
solzhenitsyn
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby sean_gabriel on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:50 pm

solzhenitsyn wrote:I know it doesn't compare to the winners, but I was really proud of my unpowered ropebridge on canyon:

http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=6893713


Nice!!! Once again I'm astounded by what can be accomplished without powered wheels.
sean_gabriel
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:30 am

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby sccook on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:08 pm

antistrophy wrote:Mine weren't even cave drawings; lines in the sand maybe...

I was soo proud of this
Stuck
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6420487


You should slide the ramp over and make it a champion

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6894123
Last edited by sccook on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sccook
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby Goober Guy on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Congrats guys, your designs are nothing less than what I expected, pure unleaded awesomeness.

I thought about posting my designs, but I decided I don't want the shame of my 116 being laughed at.

I'm so mad though, my score for displacement was 47 points, and I had the same idea for the water design, but I couldn't get it to work so I abandoned it as impossible, you people have taught me why I "lose" things like this now. Congrats again.

P.S. I'm still "optimistic" If people want to see my designs let me know, I'll post in the morning (10h from now).
Goober Guy
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: CONTEST RESULTS

Postby compscure on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Just one more note on cheating, then I'll leave it up to the powers that be (and the players "on the bubble" that have a dog in the fight).

GaminKWB wrote:I just want to say right now that I was not - and am not - implying or accusing anything. I was merely commenting, and showing others.


Obviously .net cheated. The chances of exactly identical designs is zero.

But in the spirit of "showing others," I do wonder what the odds of stickywulf's entries are:

Stickywulf wrote:GaminKWB, your solution for Stuck and Be A Champ is exactly the same as mine.


Sticky's:
Stuck -6
Be A Champ -4

Gamin's:
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6604622
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6784383

Not pixel for pixel, though.

Also compare his gatekeeper:
http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=6811644

with the nathanwitte design listed earlier in the thread (which he abandoned when he found a rodless):
http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=6747060
User avatar
compscure
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Dev Dish



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users