OFFICIAL CONTEST RESULTS

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: ** UPDATED CONTEST RESULTS **

Postby Goober Guy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 am

I've been thinking a little.

I can't remember who it was who posted in the Dev dish, but I think that that person was right in saying the powered solution has kinda been gyped.
I think that there should be a contest for powered solutions, or better yet, a competition for the most spectacular designs. Your designs are rated by Judges on how spectacularly they win, not on how fast or efficient they are.

Its an idea, but I think that'd be a cool contest (it would help my !! tick count anyway).
Goober Guy

Postby oozle2 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:25 am

Aww man :-(

I had as score of -14, but I was unsure about my displacement. I wasn't going to use it, but I showed a picture to a bunch of people and they all said it was champ so I decided to. If I had known it was not a champ then I would have used my solution worth 1 point less giving me a total of -13 and still a chance at a win.

Well... live and learn... I'm mostly just sad that Weasel refused to look at my design and verify or deny, but I understand his idea that it might give me an unfair advantage... I had to rely on everyone else (who all turned out to be wrong /me looks at Hap and Jof). Really though, I don't blame anyone but myself. Maybe next time.

Anyways... here's my design which put me 1 pixel from a win... Congrats everyone else on your Itouch.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6785301
oozle2

Postby wd-41 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:34 am

Goober Guy wrote:I've been thinking a little.

I can't remember who it was who posted in the Dev dish, but I think that that person was right in saying the powered solution has kinda been gyped.
I think that there should be a contest for powered solutions, or better yet, a competition for the most spectacular designs. Your designs are rated by Judges on how spectacularly they win, not on how fast or efficient they are.

Its an idea, but I think that'd be a cool contest (it would help my !! tick count anyway).

1.define: gyped (do you mean to say 'cheated?' as in, cheated by gyspsies, and isn't that a slur on an ethnic subcateg....... nevermind)
2.visit the Challenges and Games portion of the website. you'll find maniform comps w/rules as scattered as there are players.
3.visit the Challenges and Games portion of the website. start a comp with rules of your choice.
4.the 'spectacular win' comp has been done several times. it's not too popular: judging lacks clear-cut rules- 'spectacular' to judge 'A' is 'junk' to judge 'B'.
wd-41

Postby RevJohn on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:41 am

Congrats to the winners. I am amazed at your designs, just as I expected to be. As a complete noob to the game, I was quite pleased with this solution to Gatekeeper:

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6601207

And I think my Displacement score was zero, so I was proud of that one, too. One thing I did not realize until I saw some winning designs was that you could attach a rod to the goal object and still get the 'hands off' badge. I should have looked into that while I was working on Displacement.

Enjoy your ipods, guys. Thanks for the fun!
RevJohn

Postby minisimp on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:59 am

minisimp

Postby Slobo on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:03 am

CONGRATULATIONS!

(Damn, if I tried just a little more with my "Be a Champ" or managed to finish a working rodless solution (working means not with 15 balls like mine^^) I could have reached a good place in the top ten! Just didn´t think my -10 point would have been so good.)
Slobo

Postby Slobo on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:09 am

weasel wrote:We still have to go through eligibility verification, so there's still hope for those that are just below the bottom of this list.

Even I will not be one of them even all 10 would fail the verification, I am interested so see a top 100 or thomething like it... ;-)
Slobo

Postby jofjltn4 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:51 am

oozle2 wrote:Aww man :-(

I had as score of -14, but I was unsure about my displacement. I wasn't going to use it, but I showed a picture to a bunch of people and they all said it was champ so I decided to. If I had known it was not a champ then I would have used my solution worth 1 point less giving me a total of -13 and still a chance at a win.

Well... live and learn... I'm mostly just sad that Weasel refused to look at my design and verify or deny, but I understand his idea that it might give me an unfair advantage... I had to rely on everyone else (who all turned out to be wrong /me looks at Hap and Jof). Really though, I don't blame anyone but myself. Maybe next time.

Anyways... here's my design which put me 1 pixel from a win... Congrats everyone else on your Itouch.

I opined on the champiness of your design? Hmmm, don't recall that. Seems odd given my uncertainty on the champiness of my own Displacement designs. Sorry if I did, and especially sorry for your tough luck. (Hey, maybe some of the top ten will fail a residency or age requirement.)

Uncertainty of the champ (and boomerang) badge is a definite problem that I hope they can fix in an update or in FC2. It certainly seems like it would be easily implemented (at least for those cases where the pieces all come to complete rest)...but I'm an accountant, not a programmer.

J
jofjltn4

Postby freddy1892 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:01 am

I too want to see a top 100, although I'm sure I won't be in it. I got a score of 7, and I was pretty happy with that. Friday at 5:00 PM my total was 23 (I had made OK initial designs, then forgot about the contest until then), so being able to get down 16 points in 7 hours was something that I was proud of. Here's my designs:

Displacement: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6877491
Stuck: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6877323
Be A Champ: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6877089
Gate Keeper: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6876726
Canyon: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6877861
freddy1892

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 am

I maintain what I originally said, which is that I think your displacement is a champ. I did say that only weasel could be completely certain :P

Clearly half the border is cutting into the goal-piece-border, which I think experimentation has showed means it is a champ.
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby GaminKWB on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:10 am

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:

I maintain what I originally said, which is that I think your displacement is a champ. I did say that only weasel could be completely certain :P

Clearly half the border is cutting into the goal-piece-border, which I think experimentation has showed means it is a champ.

My original Displacement also looked like this. Weasel stated that they would reproduce the end result, and test to see if it solved while in this position. So I created my own level and reproduced my final result. It did not solve. I moved it a pixel in further, nope, another one and it solved. Its REALLY hard to tell how much needs to be in for the game to give it a solve. It appears to me that you have to have 3/4 of your goal piece border completely in the goal. And only about 1/4 of the goal piece border can overlap. I spent 4 hours tweaking my Displacement result to make sure I had one that was completely within the goal, to prevent having to deal with verification. For most user-run competitions, as long as the goal piece does not extend beyond the goal border, then its generally accepted.

Edit: Quote tagged moved...
GaminKWB

Postby wackz on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 am

Out of curiosity, does the link thingy (the grey circle in the picture) change anything? Is it a formal part of the goal piece, and does it have to be completely within the goal area to count? For that matter, is the goal border part of the goal area or not?
wackz

Postby GaminKWB on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 am

wackz wrote:Out of curiosity, does the link thingy (the grey circle in the picture) change anything? Is it a formal part of the goal piece, and does it have to be completely within the goal area to count? For that matter, is the goal border part of the goal area or not?

That is the question that makes it hard to determine a true 'champion'. Its a yes and no thing. It would be great if it was more clear cut. Or if the game 'showed' you if it was in or not. Say a blue ring inside the ball if the ball is (officially) in the build area. A red (darker) ring if it is (officially) inside the goal area. Both if it is both.
GaminKWB

Postby xhawkx on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 am

Have emails been sent out to the top ten yet?
xhawkx

Postby jdelgado06 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 am

xhawkx wrote:Have emails been sent out to the top ten yet?

yes
jdelgado06

Postby xhawkx on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:58 am

I did not receive an email as of yet..
xhawkx

Postby Dr. Phil on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 pm

About the champion thing. I think that it has been stated before that to get a solve the exact center of the gray ring needs to be in the goal.

xhawkx, you should have gotten an email. I would check with sales@fantasticcontraption.com or hop in the chat and hope weasel is in there.
Dr. Phil

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:54 pm

GaminKWB wrote:
OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:I maintain what I originally said, which is that I think your displacement is a champ. I did say that only weasel could be completely certain :P

My original Displacement also looked like this. Weasel stated that they would reproduce the end result, and test to see if it solved while in this position. So I created my own level and reproduced my final result. It did not solve. I moved it a pixel in further, nope, another one and it solved. Its REALLY hard to tell how much needs to be in for the game to give it a solve. It appears to me that you have to have 3/4 of your goal piece border completely in the goal. And only about 1/4 of the goal piece border can overlap. I spent 4 hours tweaking my Displacement result to make sure I had one that was completely within the goal, to prevent having to deal with verification. For most user-run competitions, as long as the goal piece does not extend beyond the goal border, then its generally accepted.

Edit: Quote tagged moved...

I have duplicated this result as best as I can, and it looks like oozle2's should be a champ.
http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=256880
http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=256997
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby Sgt Superman on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:46 pm

For this contest it would not be a champ. Weasel said there had to be space between the two borders.
Sgt Superman

Postby GaminKWB on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:53 pm

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:I have duplicated this result as best as I can, and it looks like oozle2's should be a champ.
http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=256880
http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=256997

Instead of rolling it in, see if it solves if you place the goal ball in that location already.
GaminKWB

PreviousNext

Return to The Dev Dish