Latest Changes: August 22nd

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Latest Changes: August 22nd

Postby weasel on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:35 am

Features/Changes:
  • A lot of database back end changes were made. The game should respond a lot faster now, but saving might still go a bit slowly. Of course, as the game gets more and more popular it'll start slowing again, so we are going ahead with the hardware upgrades as well.
  • Any contraptions built before August 8th, were listed as "unpublished," and were saved by unpaid users, have gone into "cold storage" to help speed up the DB as well. This means they will not show up in the "My Designs" menu, but they will still be accessible via direct link. There are plans on reintegrating them into the DB at a later date. I hope nobody is too negatively affected by this one but most of the design IDs seemed fairly unused.
  • A bit later today we will be deciding on a new Level 21! This will be available for all users (paid and unpaid). Keep your eyes peeled! EDIT: Now uploaded!
  • The forums were getting busy enough so I split them into 4 distinct categories.
  • The "skip flash detection" link now forwards you to the URL you were trying to access in the first place (discuss)

You will have to clear your browser cache to get the updated copy of the game. Visit this thread if you don't know how (or if it doesn't automatically update).

Known Issues now have their own dedicated thread in the support forum.

(Link to older August 15th revisions)
weasel

Re: Latest Changes: August 22nd

Postby Twilightzero on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:47 am

Hey could you guys put a version/build/date # in the lower corner of the main screen plz? kthxbye :mrgreen:

It'd be helpful to see if people are having problems on old versions or if contraptions built in old versions are having problems in a new build.
Twilightzero

Postby Linkzcap on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:24 am

I really want to try out that new level! SO excited!!!

:dance:
Linkzcap

Postby ConnorK on Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Woot, can't wait for Level 21.
ConnorK

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 pm

weasel wrote:Any contraptions built before August 8th, were listed as "unpublished," and were saved by unpaid users, have gone into "cold storage" to help speed up the DB as well. There are plans on reintegrating them into the DB at a later date. I hope nobody is too negatively affected by this one but most of the design IDs seemed fairly unused.

This is causing some issues for some of the "challenge threads", where old contraptions cannot be seen by non paying members... It would be nice if the designs mentioned in the forum were re-instated...

Thanks for the updates, though :)
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby nomnom on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:15 pm

The changes to the old IDs being put into cold storage have rendered all of my old contraptions as unplayable. So I'm kinda sad. Maybe I don't have the right to complain since I'm a free loader?
nomnom

Postby weasel on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Just a heads up that the cold-stored db entries are just there to cut the load on the server, and is a temporary measure until we figure out how to keep performance high.
weasel

Postby sk89q on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Wreaking havoc on FC Res! :sigh:

By the way, what's the consequence of the "cold storage?" Are levels no longer JOINed with each design, so they won't have level numbers associated with them, so free players can't play them (but can load them)? I've tested random design IDs and this seems to be the nature of this change. :geek:

I eat small babies.
sk89q

Postby weasel on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:11 am

Clarifying the "cold storage" issue:

This means they will not show up in the "My Designs" menu, but they will still be accessible via direct link.
weasel

Postby weasel on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:56 pm

Level 21 is now up! Refresh those browser caches. :)
weasel

Postby sk89q on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:23 pm

Ah okay. Some people were saying that they couldn't load them anymore, so I wasn't sure.

Data from the database is missing for those designs though, so I don't think free users can play them, even with a direct link.
sk89q

Postby Foxx on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:00 pm

wow that was easy i was hoping for something harder
http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designid=846483

Also it reminds me of around the bend, anyone else think the same?

P.S. for some reason i can't do copy/paste when it shows the link to my design when before i could so did anything change or what?
Foxx

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Forum question: what is up with this "Anonymous bumped" the thread thingy that just took place on about a 50 threads in the "levels solutions, chat" forum.. crazy anonymous people :xd:
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby sitting-duck on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:25 am

U turn is the only level to date that I have completed 1st try without any tweaking :woop:

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=894327

Obvioulsy after the brain melting back & forth & unpossible...

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=715942

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=737418

I have become an expert (or it was a bit easy :ssh: )
sitting-duck

Postby marcbutler on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 am

Would be great to see more levels put in an "official" order, so you can work through them. I have just been attacking random user levels and although completing them, you don't get the same sense of achievement.

Best games since Lemmings, love it.
marcbutler

Postby mrbret on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:42 pm

How often do new levels get added?

Myself and a few friends at work ar hooked....... we need more levels
mrbret

Postby NightStryke on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:09 am

mrbret wrote:How often do new levels get added?

Myself and a few friends at work ar hooked....... we need more levels

It's not a common occurance. Level 21 was the first time it happened. You can probably expect to see more, but not very often. If you pay the :10bux:, though, you get a huge list of player-made levels, many of which are very well-made - level 21 actually was a player-made level (there was a contest).
NightStryke

Postby weasel on Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:47 pm

I think new levels will be a way more common occurance once we get everything up and running properly. Daily backend security and smoothness updates, dontchaknow.
weasel

Return to The Dev Dish