PreLoading Ads

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

PreLoading Ads

Postby weasel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:21 pm

We've ad-ded (ho ho) some pre-loading ads to the game - we finally found an ad provider that pays a decent amount (thanks to inXile), so now instead of ads making us some paltry sum they actually make us a big chunk of change. It should keep our servers afloat forevermore!

As usual, those who have paid their :10bux: won't see the ads and can enjoy the game without the distraction. :)

E: The remove-ads-for-paying-users code appears to not be working correctly - and occasionally breaks design/levelIDs from loading. Should be fixed soon!

E: Reverted to the old code while we work on it.

E: OK, code is fixed, should work now! Logout and back in and refresh the page if you are a paid user.
weasel

Re: PreLoading Ads

Postby Mr.Lemons on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:23 pm

How Soon?1?!?!? :argh: :argh: :argh:
Mr.Lemons

Postby big but on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:24 pm

how!!!!!!!!!!! damn sooon
big but

Postby weasel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Soon(tm)
weasel

Postby Mr.Lemons on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:26 pm

How much did it cost to trademark the word "soon?"

The Redirect adds a "#" to the end of the Id...
Last edited by Mr.Lemons on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr.Lemons

Postby Faqop on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Yeah I'm a paying member and I see them.... And they won't load....

This after the crash earlier.... makes me think you guys should be running a development server to test before going live.
Faqop

Postby GaminKWB on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:33 pm

<?php
print "<meta http-equiv=\"REFRESH\" content=\"0;url=http://fantasticcontraption.com" . $_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"] . "\">";
?>

the 0 can be replaced with the number of seconds.

Edit: I'm not trying to impose or tell anyone how to do anything, just trying to help resolve an issue.
Last edited by GaminKWB on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaminKWB

Postby weasel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Yep our guy is working on the code right now, should be fixed shortly. I'm thinking within the next 30 mins, but it might be a few hours or more if we hit other speed bumps.

We experience a once-per-week crash or so that seems to be a result of the database tables becoming fragmented over time. We're not quite sure how to resolve this other than to occasionally run defrag and restart MySQL, which seems to do the trick. We're looking into ways to stop this from occuring.

The other crash we had last night - we have no idea how that happened. There was a piece of software installed on the server, and when we checked it out this morning it has simply disappeared. The software was gone, no deletion logs, and nobody is owning up to removing it. After reinstall of the software everything started working again. I swear we have gremlins in our server tank.

We do have a development server - and we do use it to test things out. For some reason the ad-removal-code works fine on the dev server and not the main server. I guess our gremlins work there too.

The game not loading after the ad - that's odd. We haven't been able to recreate it, but once we get the ad-removal working we'll turn our attention to it.
weasel

Postby chris4a4 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:36 pm

I just think, jeez, they are making all these great new advances in addness, but not giving us things like a new rating system.
chris4a4

Postby weasel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:39 pm

We've just reverted the ad code back to what it was a few hours ago so you guys can play in peace while we further test. :) Re-deployment as soon as we figure it out.
weasel

Postby Afronanny on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Hopefully the ads won't pop up on my front page anymore....
Maybe if I can find the pop-up blocker I disabled for this website.
Afronanny
OUTRAGED!!!1

Location: Eating your pie. Don't bother to stop me, I'm finished now.

Postby rabid squirrel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:41 pm

The game does load after the ad (for me anyway)

But it's impossible to view other designs (links) - when you click on a link it takes you to the game, with the ad loading screen, and then once it finishes the design does not show up - it goes back to the main menu. This happens both if you wait for the ad to finish, AND if you click the redirect link to go to the game.

Try it:
http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=6376691

Very frustrating >.>

EDIT: never mind - it works again now, but make sure to fix this issue in your tests... *goes back to updating thread*
Last edited by rabid squirrel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rabid squirrel

Postby Mr.Lemons on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Yay Weasel!

Rabble Rabble Rabble...
Mr.Lemons

Postby weasel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:44 pm

chris4a4 wrote:I just think, jeez, they are making all these great new advances in addness, but not giving us things like a new rating system.

All the new features and upgrades will be in the next revision and/or sequel.. I honestly don't think you will see any enhancements or changes to the current version. That could change of course, but we have such a long feature request list now it really will be a new game once we get them all out. :)

We are learning a lot while we go, too. When we first looked at ads, we were looking at the lowest possible tier ads for low-volume sites. Now that we are popular (for better or worse!) and we have inXile helping us out on the business side of things, the ads suddenly became profitable and worth way, WAY more. I didn't even know it was possible to pay out so much! The original version of the game had ads on it, but we took them out simply because they paid so little (vs. the extreme graphical annoyance).

We also learned a lot of other things on our long journey - things like a well written web based level interface works way better than an in-game interface. Our next ideas only implemented the gameplay in flash and the rest is external.

We are a long way from finished with FC. :)
weasel

Postby weasel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:47 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:But it's impossible to view other designs (links) - when you click on a link it takes you to the game, with the ad loading screen, and then once it finishes the design does not show up - it goes back to the main menu. This happens both if you wait for the ad to finish, AND if you click the redirect link to go to the game.

Thanks a lot for explaining the problem, I wasn't quite sure what the bug was. That does indeed break on my end every time, so now we have something to test against :)

Everyone give Rabid Squirrel a cookie for being a good beta tester. :)
weasel

Postby rabid squirrel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:06 pm

yay I can haz cookie :)

"That does indeed not work every time for me"? It never worked for me at all, did it work for you "sometimes"?

And I'm glad that you are "a long way from finished" :D
rabid squirrel

Postby Afronanny on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:17 pm

I just noticed....the icon isn't there at the top of the tab anymore. Is that related in any way?
Afronanny
OUTRAGED!!!1

Location: Eating your pie. Don't bother to stop me, I'm finished now.

Postby compscure on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm for almost anything* that guarantees the long-term viability of the game. The bugs will get worked out in time. Though it'd be cool if you could get sq89's improvements could just be built in.

And for what it's worth, I had the problem of not being able to get to the designs thru Chrome, but not on Firefox.

* (I do hope you guys never figure out I'd probably pay 5 bucks a month for it)
compscure

Postby Mr.Lemons on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:25 pm

I really hope the New FC doesnt add all the things requeted, because some of them, such as 3d and Timer Balls and Other similar things would kill the simplicity of the game. IMO the only thing you should add are simple physics objects... Maybe water, or sand.
Mr.Lemons

Postby chris4a4 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Mr.Lemons wrote:I really hope the New FC doesnt add all the things requeted, because some of them, such as 3d and Timer Balls and Other similar things would kill the simplicity of the game. IMO the only thing you should add are simple physics objects... Maybe water, or sand.

Meh, I just want a fastforward/slowdown button.
chris4a4

Next

Return to The Dev Dish