The Idea of Scoring

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: The Idea of Scoring

Postby Mikemc on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 am

6ft9man wrote:An "official" scoring would be a bad idea, IMHO. Giving raw data would be better, such as possibly total weight of a contraption, size of parts, etc. Even official badges being used are just as bad an idea simply because you can watch one person's entry, save it as your own and get a badge you didn't earn.

Unless the score only counted for the first person to get it. You'd have a badge for first, and anything the same afterwards would be 2nd or marked as 'clone'. Also be sure to only allow 1 score per user per level else 1 person could post 50 times and flood the scoreboards.
Personally I think official scoring would make it too competitive and then there's hackers and glitchers...

- Mike
Mikemc

Postby macklin on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Also, weasal I feel that you should also analyze the psychoanalytical significance of each of our designs and create a freudian profile for each one of us... crossed by a Jungian relevance to which archetype we are most fixated on ... divided by a the grammar age of our writing skills... if you don't mind... oh, and a mechanism to record our typing speed... that'd be great.

Example:

Contraption shows inability to not use powered parts, thus a tendency to rely upon parental safety times the Jungian desire for the great mother/ divided by a writing age of 10.1 means this candidate will turn out like Jack Kavorcian. (22 wpm)

Ha,

if you don't mind.

Watch, in twenty minutes, Entity will figure out how to do it..... in a green version.
macklin

Postby icarus on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:20 pm

I would imagine scores being given for:

- Fastest time: time used is the score OR tenth/second OR hundreds/second
- Number of objects used (the little the better)
- Keeping the ball/box in the goal for at least 10s gives a bonus

The first two count lower scores as better, the last one would subtract half or a quarter of the score.

Any other scoring method could not be given by the game itself. Why not leave the Popularity scoring and let users give thumbs up/down for levels they like/dislike?

Greetings,
Icarus
icarus

Postby darkwing_bmf on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:15 pm

Don't much care for an actual score, other than User Voting like we have now. But I do think the badge system would be cool :cool:
darkwing_bmf

Postby tekkenfreak on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm not really liking the idea, more badges would be cool for some stuff like "complete this level with reverse power" reverse power being when you do
:ccwheel: ontop of
:upwheel: to get it to move forward
tekkenfreak

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:19 pm

i dont like the idea of scoring it encourages less complicated designs
VERYDUMBNAME

Postby chiffmonkey on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:39 am

Hooray for complication! However, if you can make a blue solution for back and forth I will give you :10bux: :)
chiffmonkey

Postby wonza on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:27 am

I'd like to see user submitted scoring. ie users vote on different aspects and then you get to see overal top designs and top in each category.. such as:

-complexity
-speed of completion
-unqueness

You could easily have a rate this contraption box pop up after each one has been viewed :)
wonza

Postby coastercrazy10 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Honestly i feel like putting a number on a contraption is a BAD idea. If a newer player sees they're near the bottom of the leaderboards for some level that they are super proud of solving, they may get the idea that "hey, i'm not set out for this/that's not cool" and become disinterested. I think the badge system is a fantastic way to encourage replay while not discouraging newer builders. Some things i'd like to see:
Badges next to the design name
Raw data, like:
*Total Rod Distance
*Total Piece Count
*Ticks to solve
*Date/Time stamp
Preview of the level (just a fully zoomed out render)
Clearer Rating System

Although the game is perfectly playable and tons of fun now, these little additions will add added replay value and keep people coming back to play again and again.

-CC10
coastercrazy10

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:14 am

coastercrazy10 wrote:Honestly i feel like putting a number on a contraption is a BAD idea. If a newer player sees they're near the bottom of the leaderboards for some level that they are super proud of solving, they may get the idea that "hey, i'm not set out for this/that's not cool" and become disinterested. I think the badge system is a fantastic way to encourage replay while not discouraging newer builders. Some things i'd like to see:
Badges next to the design name
Raw data, like:
*Total Rod Distance
*Total Piece Count
*Ticks to solve
*Date/Time stamp
Preview of the level (just a fully zoomed out render)
Clearer Rating System

Although the game is perfectly playable and tons of fun now, these little additions will add added replay value and keep people coming back to play again and again.

-CC10

I feel the exact same way
VERYDUMBNAME

Postby Irons on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:51 pm

I like high scores, but I think in general it's to easy to copy a contraption and essentialy tie, raw numbers sounds like a good idea though!
Thats my take on it atleast
Irons

Postby meeshupeeshu on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:41 am

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:Another idea: weasel must go through every entry and score it by hand :xd:

i like that one!
meeshupeeshu

Postby devilwearsparad on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:51 pm

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:Another idea: weasel must go through every entry and score it by hand :xd:
good ideahaha weasel do it
devilwearsparad

Postby tes753 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 pm

That's the only reason why they sould have scoring. :) :toot: :woop: :lol: :evil: :twisted:
Ok, not really, but it's a good idea.
tes753

Postby Afronanny on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm with hap on this one.
Afronanny
OUTRAGED!!!1

Location: Eating your pie. Don't bother to stop me, I'm finished now.

Previous

Return to The Dev Dish