The Brown Crown V3! Congrats Airbearbunch!

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

Re: The Brown Crown V3!

Postby airbearbunch on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:50 pm

marjo wrote:Comon DOINK, you can't let airbear win!!

Edit: How 'bout match two in the back alley with truncheons? I feel like that would be the fight to see. POUND HIM DOINKSTER!

Well that's nice i'm sure....whats this...gang up on the limey? :wink: you pursuaded me in to the forums Marjo. the least you could do is give me a bit of transatlantic support !!! :lol:
airbearbunch

Re: The Brown Crown V3!

Postby DOINKSTER on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Marjo, you having a bad day? You don't sound like yourself.

I worked on my design today and got a little farther along but no dice. Besides its way passed the deadline. Even though the comp is over, I am going to finish this level. Its a fun level.
DOINKSTER

Re: The Brown Crown V3! Congrats Airbearbunch!

Postby schmittd on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Congrats to airbearbunch for winning! Also, rianbay and jdccdj collaborated to solve the level, so congrats to them! Funny that the first mechanism was so similar... I hope nobody was tmusing...

Regardless, thank you everyone for competing!

Round 8 has been posted if anyone would like to try to solve it
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby jdccdj1 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:20 pm

congrats airbear on a fine performance!

@schmittd: as far as the 1st mech on rianbay and my collab,
I built it based on a concept I made eons ago on a level called
anushka http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=12039137
it was easy to adapt to fit rd 7, just a lot of tweaking...besides,
I don't think there are too many ways to get the GP out without
wasting a boatload of pieces
jdccdj1

Postby DOINKSTER on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:47 pm

Just to show you how I started. I was using way too many pieces. http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=12063624

Congratulations airbearbunch.

Thanks for the comp Schmittd.
DOINKSTER

Postby compscure on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am

Congratulations airbearbunch. Hell of a solve again. Love the bottom half was all gravity.

Great guest solve as well. Expected it to take 1729 ticks with that name.

rd 8 :shock:
compscure

Postby rianbay812 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:41 am

compscure wrote:Congratulations airbearbunch. Hell of a solve again. Love the bottom half was all gravity.

Great guest solve as well. Expected it to take 1729 ticks with that name.

rd 8 :shock:

oh shoot that would have been clever. Or 163 ticks but that ain't happening
rianbay812

Postby airbearbunch on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks guys.woo hoo... awesome comp Schmittd.....great guest solve too. glad that wasnt round 10 for speed.
airbearbunch

Postby marjo on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:26 pm

:toot: Congrats airbear! Great solve! :toot:

Also, congrats to foss/rian, but especially foss because he somehow managed to convince rian to give the design a real name :lol:.
marjo

Postby schmittd on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 pm

With this over, someone needs to host a comp...
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby airbearbunch on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:40 am

I think its my turn....never done one before but ive had an idea running for a league of some sort for a while...have been discussing with marjo and got positive response.

here are my thoughts so far...
I'm not a level compiler, so i would need all entrants to submit a level to me. this would effectively be their "home game"
But to level out any huge advantage, I will select the criteria by which each level is awarded points. these could change on a level by level basis. but maybe 50/100 available points for each solve? split up in some fashion between overall or section completion, timing whether it be faster than a limit or exact tic counts, pieces used....wheels/no wheels etc etc.

the idea behind running it as a league was to keep more entrants in for the duration.( in fact all of them.)

I'd try to publish one a week and it would run for as many weeks as there were entrants.
I'm not in a position to start straight away, with commitments, but it will take a while to get going anyway.

I appreciate that not everyone could commit to doing a level every week, so each entrant would drop perhaps their 2 or 3 weakest scores over the period. This would cater for not being able to enter on a few occasions and also for late starters although i think there'd have to be a limit to the number...perhaps 12-15 ??. winner would be most accumulated points over the period.

if anyone has any thoughts on this they'd be welcome, including the best time of year to start,( I'm quite busy through the summer) anything to add, or anything that sounds too complicated.

if enough support comes, I'll start a new thread.
airbearbunch

Postby dragon_man on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Congratulations on winning the competition Airbearbunch!

Sounds like a good idea for a comp too me. I especially like the level making aspect of it, however I love making levels. I know your not the only one that doesn't like to make them though. But from my knowledge most people on here has at least made one level at some point.
dragon_man

Postby compscure on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Sounds like a cool idea airbear. I think any long-running comp, no matter how well thought out or run, is gonna run into some attrition. But this sounds like something new and original and I would sure play.

I've had a few ideas for comps, but I don't know how many people play or lurk any more.

1) I think it might be cool to do a Hap style comp that runs both here and on FC2 simultaneously. Use the same levels, but make them on both games. It's really easy to copy levels from here to there using FCML and they have a good group of guys over there. It would involve maintaining a thread here and there.

2) A competition where you'd count the time it took to solve the level into the scoring. Something like "Time Squared" with a speed level. Score would be ticks multiplied by the number of minutes it took to submit. Or "Real Time Magnum" with one level where the score is the number or pieces multiplied by the number of minutes it took to submit.

This would be complicated. Either have to find a good time for everyone to play simultaneously or send out "watermarked" levels thru PMs (but tmussing could still be an issue)

3) This one I'll probably actually do. Once a month host a week long comp with a single level. Vary up the scoring method. Use a leaderboard. Keep it real simple and undemanding time-wise. Might work alongside some of these more ambitious ideas like airbear's and z's.

Sorry for the threadjack. Just spitballin. If anyone wants to use any of these ideas they are welcome to.
compscure

Postby schmittd on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:18 pm

All of these sound awesome!
schmittd

Postby marjo on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:38 pm

I very much like your idea airbear, and same with compscures' ideas.
marjo

Postby inventeur on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Congrats airbear!

I want to understand and give you idea,but I did not include any with English
inventeur

Previous

Return to Challenges and Games