The Brown Crown V2! Congrats Rianbay!

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

Re: The Brown Crown V2!

Postby ken75 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D You know that feel when you try a new mech, and it works amazingly and you question why you didn't think of that in the first place?

[edit] PSDJGBPAREDUGBSPBFGISPRUGBPRJGBNROASFDBEAIFBSEIFUASEBF I DID IT OH MAH GAWD
ken75

Postby ken75 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:11 am

So er, I'm going to a lakehouse for a week starting Sunday, no internet at all up there... It's not likely that I'll be able to solve R5 but would you be so kind as to post it early?
ken75

Postby schmittd on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Here it is:
http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?levelId=618794

But I don't feel like updating the thread right now lol
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby zhyrek on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:25 pm

wat
zhyrek

Postby schmittd on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:02 pm

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11933787

I would like to take a second to showcase this Round 2 design from ken75 as the glitchiest design yet. It "glitches" in four different places, all of which are crucial to the solve. The first is when the main bridge is unraveling and one wood piece passes through the wooden bridge. The second is the throw from the bridge to the U thing when one wood piece passes right through another again. The third is when the ball bounces off the top left corner of the U, which I suppose is more a level flaw that was taken advantage of with a bit of serendipity (I doubt that was intended) and not a glitch, but whatevs. And fourthly, a joint snap in the last pult. In most of my contests, I allow "minor glitches". I discerned that all of these really are minor glitches and the second one shouldn't even count, which is why I allowed the design. I'm not trying to stir up any drama, I just wanted to point out two intentional glitches, and one level flaw which was accidentally taken advantage of. The funniest part is, this design was a close second to receiving the :!: award.

EDIT: looking at the solve again, I noticed yet another small glitch which is only slightly crucial to the solve. After the wooden piece flings the ball up to the U, that entire contraption is then used as a weight. When the whole thing falls, the wooden piece falls straight through the bridge again. That's a total of 3 wood-through-wood phasings :lol:
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby Error-QM on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:32 pm

The "corner of the U" part is not a glitch :). Any physics major will tell you that's a static frictional impulse at its finest.

The ball is moving forward with a certain speed. The frictional force (right-ward) opposes the direction of motion (left-ward) only while the ball is in contact with the surface. That friction causes the direction reversal by changing the ball's momentum - something called impulse in physics. Static friction is roughly constant, since it depends on the weight of the ball which doesn't change, and dp=Fdt, so the longer the ball is in contact with the surface, the greater its momentum change. The ball is somewhat squishy (like everything in FC), so it stays in contact with the ground for a good while and its momentum changes so much that it cancels the forward momentum and has enough left over to give the ball backward momentum :). If the :goalc: were a rubber ball and the :srect: were a flat table (metal, suppose), you could make this happen in real life.
Error-QM

Postby ken75 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm glad you like my glitching :) And Error, though you're right, you're wrong lol. The ball changed direction because it phased through the horizontal piece for a split second and hit the vertical one first. It was hardly spinning if you look close. Suuuuuper tweeky that design was. I would have given up on the comp if I had gotten the :!: too, because that would have already made my life and there would be no point to continuing ;)
ken75

Postby rianbay812 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:27 pm

If I may add, I don't really view tiny wooden pieces phasing through long rods as cheating. Yeah, it's a glitch I guess, but can be useful, and makes sense from a physics-game perspective. I didn't really like the whole flinger thing phasing through the bridge though, but that's more of an aesthetic complaint. Likewise, I think chain breaking is fine, seeing as it's usually so hard to tweak, and actually happens in real physics haha. I don't think it's acceptable when a chain breaking could cause a design to run differently on different occasions.

I'm not a huge fan of water rods phasing through the environent, however. I've done it before though :P

ed: I just saw round 5 and thats a really cool level. Like, really cool... I look forward to playing it!

ed2: I can't even get the ball out D: this level is too hardddddd
rianbay812

Postby zhyrek on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:51 pm

I got the ball out, and caught it with a bridge. The only thing is i cant see how to get a ramp up to the top :c
zhyrek

Postby schmittd on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:04 pm

everything is updated, someone tell me if I messed anything up
schmittd

Postby rianbay812 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Not sure if Ken is peaking through id's...
...or if great minds just think alike...
rianbay812

Postby ken75 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Well I'm at camp on my phone so I can't see what your design is like rianbay, but I swear to Allah I would never do that...
ken75

Postby djbreslin on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 pm

I'd just like to point out that the thing that hits the orange ball is the weight for the weight for the thing that brings the ball up on my design :)
(I am sooooooooooooooooo awesome :aaaaa:)
djbreslin

Postby jdccdj1 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:16 pm

nice solves to the final four!!

thanks schmittd for hosting the comp...levels so far have been
excellent!...hopefully next time i'll have more free time
jdccdj1

Postby schmittd on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Its unfortunate that people drop out of the comp (or never join) because they don't have enough time. Ideally, thik_tip, babits, foss, hamy, jyo, most, and others would still be in the competition. I hate to see people go because they don't have time. I want people to drop out because they couldn't solve the level. Oh well, that would just be too perfect I suppose.
schmittd

Postby djbreslin on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 pm

This level is beyond me, and I'm leaving for vacation soon after the deadline, so I wouldn't make round 6 anyways. Good luck to the rest of ya.
djbreslin

Postby rianbay812 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 pm

I give up on this level and I think everyone else should too
rianbay812

Postby zhyrek on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 am

If im allowed to cheat a little bit, ive got this one in the bag

Otherwise, gg
zhyrek

Postby rianbay812 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 am

Okay I take that back, I don't win a comp this way by telling everyone else to not try. I have a solve, don't give up guys!
rianbay812

Postby schmittd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 am

rianbay812 wrote:Okay I take that back, I don't win a comp this way by telling everyone else to not try. I have a solve, don't give up guys!

Thanks, I was questioning whether or not I should say something lol
schmittd

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges and Games