{???}'s Gambit Competition

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

{???}'s Gambit Competition

Postby Error-QM on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:16 am

{???}'s Gambit

Hello, Fantastic Contraptioneers!

After four years, I have finally decided to stop procrastinating and run a competition already!

Rules
This will be a green elimination competition, but each level will come with certain surprises, in the form of additional badges or objectives.

If you complete a level, you will advance to the next round. Inversely, if you do not complete a level within the allotted time, you will be eliminated.
Victory goes to the player who has advanced the most rounds without being eliminated.

There will be up to twelve rounds, including the Qualifier below. Strictly speaking, the Qualifier is Round 1, but you can't be eliminated in Round 1 because you have to pass it to qualify in the first place!

Strife Rounds are a new twist I've thrown in to make things interesting. Basically, you have to decide on badges you think you can obtain before you see the level. Each player allocates their "Strife Specibus," with one or more badges they will try to achieve during the Strife Round.

Players may allocate up to three Kind Abstrati, which may include any of the following badges:
:champ: Champkind (1.2)
:boomerang: Boomerangkind (1.4)
:clean: Cleankind (1.1)
:sweep: Sweepkind (1.1)
:badgeless: Badgelesskind (1.4)
:brown: Brownkind (1.2)
:water: Bluekind (1.5)
:unconnected: Unconnectedkind (1.8)
Note: The Badgelesskind Kind Abstratus can only be achieved by a green design that achieves no other badges. If allocated to a player's Strife Specibus, the player cannot make use of any other Abstrati. (This is why it has such a surprisingly high multiplier.)

Players' performance during strife rounds will be evaluated using the Grist Cache. The base quantity of Grist Cache is the Magnum score, or piece count times tick count, divided by the number in parentheses next to the Kind Abstratus the player earned. A player who allocated the Bluekind Kind Abstratus and solved a level :water: with 20 pieces in 300 ticks would have a Magnum score of 6,000 and a Grist Cache of 4,000.
Kind Abstrati stack, so a player who allocated Cleankind + Sweepkind and achieved :clean: :sweep: in their design would divide their Magnum score by 1.21. The Player with the lowest Grist Cache wins the Strife Round, giving them some slight advantage in the following round.

The whole point of a Strife Round is letting the player choose the Badges they feel most confident in achieving, before they see the actual level, and then try to solve the level with one of those Badges. Choose wisely! You'll have to stick to the three Kind Abstrati you allocated once a Strife Round starts.

Any Strife Rounds* will be announced during the preceding round. Players must either announce their Strife Specibus allocations in this thread or PM them to me before the deadline of this preceding round. For example, if Round 11 is announced to be a Strife Round, it will be specified as such with the release of Round 10. You must then allocate your Strife Specibus and inform me of your Kind Abstrati by the Round 10 deadline.

*Exception: In the event of a tie, the tiebreaker will be decided by a Strife Round.

No glitching allowed, big asterisk. Here are the expanded details of the glitch rules.
Black-hole glitches are not permitted if they are exploited (1) to place contraption parts or goal objects in otherwise impossible locations, or (2) to change the initial position of goal objects that started outside the goal area. By way of example, a design which only black-holes because of piece-count or overlap is acceptable, while a black-hole which brings a goal object into the build area from outside is unacceptable.
Pins are by no means permitted.
Unpowered bomb-wheels, while strictly possible, are not permitted. However, designs which explode in a way that does not fundamentally alter the performance of the design are permitted. If a cart falls off the map, explodes, and none of its parts touch a contraption part currently in use, that's okay.
Phasing is not permitted. However, phasing that does not affect the design (esp. off-screen), phasing that is not fundamental to the performance of the design, phasing pieces or dynamic objects partially into (but not through) the environment are permitted.
Chain breaks which do not interfere with the active parts of the contraption are permitted. Chain breaks fundamental to the performance of the design are also permitted, but for sake of being reasonable, no more than two connections may break in any design. This explicitly prohibits the use of the phase chains of yore. The former can happen in real life, while the latter would be considered the doing of aliens.
Joint snapping in all structures is permitted. As with chain breaks, this sometimes happens in real life.

Let me know what you think, and if you would like to participate. These levels are intended to be challenging, and so the deadlines will be longer than in most comps.

Vriska (arachnidsGrip) will be posting the first round tomorrow evening has posted the first round, Scorpio. The deadline is Sunday, September 8th, at 10:00 PM PST.

-{???}

Edit: To submit your solutions, just send me a PM with your solution to the level. On Strife Rounds and rounds with bonus badges, include all badges your design earns (for a blue solve, you need not include the brown badge, likewise with other badges that stack).

For the first level, to avoid complications considering the comp has just started, there will be no Strife Rounds or bonus badge challenges. There will be no Strife Round for round 2, but I make no promises about any rounds after that. :twisted:
Last edited by Error-QM on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Error-QM

Re: {???}'s Gambit Competition

Postby Error-QM on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:17 am

Current Round: Round 2: Aries. Deadline is Sunday, September 29th, at 8:00 PM PST.
Submitted Contestants:

Past Results:
Qualifier/Round 1

Qualified Contestants (in order of submission)
Last edited by Error-QM on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Error-QM

Postby schmittd on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 am

I am definitely in! It looks very fun, kinda like my brown crown comps, but with some interesting twists
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby rianbay812 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 am

Would love to play :)
rianbay812

Postby dmasters on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:50 pm

I'd like to try it, hopefully I have enough time to do this unlike the Brown Crown

Error-QM wrote:
Vriska (arachnidsGrip) will be posting the first round tomorrow evening.

-{???}

I had suspected it was you... Lol
dmasters

Postby Dean-o on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:24 pm

maybe, just maybe...
:)

although I am ridiculously rusty.
Dean-o

Location: Spreading its influence across the world for everyone to play.

Postby arachnidsGrip on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 pm

All riiiiiiiight everyone! Let's get this Gam8it Competition started. ::::)

Here is the link to the first round/qualifier, Scorpio. 8oth this and the following round will 8e ordinary rounds - 8eat the level, and you go str8 to the next round.

The first deadline will 8e su8stantially further out........just in c8se more folks want to join, of course.

The due d8 is Sunday, Septem8er 8th, at 8:00 PM PST. Enjoy, folks! :::;)
arachnidsGrip

Postby dmasters on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:10 pm

^And he's here, typing quirks and all. Congrats on your first post out of the off-topic section, Vriska!
dmasters

Postby Brian3.14 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm in \:D/
Brian3.14

Location: games are a phenomenal way to feel the rewards we need,without all of the unknown challenges of life

Postby uuuiiiooop on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm so out of practice that I might not even be able to beat the qualifier...
but if I can, I'm in! :D
uuuiiiooop

Location: More than five hundred thousand levels. Over eleven million designs.

Postby schmittd on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:30 pm

For clarification, on non-strife rounds, all that matters is that we beat the level, right? Like, having more badges, less pieces, or fewer ticks: those things wont affect us in later rounds, will they?
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby Error-QM on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Yes, more badges, less pieces, or fewer ticks will not affect you in later rounds. However, if an additional badge is included with a round, this will become a requirement for that round only.

Heh, there's only so much complication I can inflict after all!
Error-QM

Postby rianbay812 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:19 pm

I can't solve this level D:
rianbay812

Postby schmittd on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:50 pm

rianbay812 wrote:I can't solve this level D:

I solved it... of course you can solve it
schmittd

Postby rianbay812 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:23 pm

but....but....It would involve a powered wheel D:
rianbay812

Postby DOINKSTER on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow, tough one for a qualifier. Getting close but no cigar. Hoping to enter.
DOINKSTER

Postby dmasters on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:48 am

DOINKSTER wrote:Wow, tough one for a qualifier. Getting close but no cigar. Hoping to enter.

^
dmasters

Postby schmittd on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 am

theres no way me and uiop are the only ones to solve it. Y'all must be seriously lazy.

pawel, IGLima, ken, rian... SOMEBODY
schmittd

Postby Pawel. on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 am

I'm still not sure should i build a big-♥♥♥ bridge or something clever with powered wheels (like Kalma)
I'll thy though
Pawel.

Postby DOINKSTER on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:51 pm

What is a green elimination competition? I thought it was no powered wheels but in the rules you mention using powered wheels for the non badge solve. Is that the only time we can use powered wheels or am I just confused? Thanks for any clarification.
DOINKSTER

Next

Return to Challenges and Games