Speed Solving Comp

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

Speed Solving Comp

Postby marjo on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey, everybody!
With all the stuff we have to do in our lives, things tend to get a little slow around here.
That's why, I want to host... A SPEED SOLVING COMP! :woop: :woop:
Most of you see the word speed and immediately move your mouse to the little back arrow at the top of your screen as quickly as possible, fearing that if you hesitate you'll forever be trapped in a mind game of tough deadlines and stressful puzzles.
Nope, If you've made it this far, good for you! It's already too late to turn around, but by now you've accepted your fate, and I'm here to tell you that this will be nothing like you're dreading.
In fact, this speed comp will be something like those group projects at school when you were able to just sit back and relax and let everyone else do the work (anyone who denies ever doing this is not telling the truth :wink: ).
However, this competition will be very much individual, and the idea is simple: start with the first level, solve it, PM the judges, then receive the next level by return PM.
Yet, the fun doesn't stop there!
The three judges will be working together as a team to LONGWAY each of the levels before any of the regular competitors solves them all! :aaa:
The regular competitors cannot work together and the judges must be on fc frequently and send each competitor the next level when they ask for it, if they have fairly, and without glitching, solved the previous level.

At the end of the competition, we'll see which competitors are the fastest, and whether or not the judges can work as a team even faster!

There will be five levels, none of them so difficult, as to not take too much time or put too much pressure on anyone.
For this comp to run, I need three judges, and AT LEAST six regular competitors.
The judges must be devoted to the competition and have a good amount of time on their hands. They should feel comfortable with longways, although none of the levels will take immense skill.
The regular competitors can be anyone; even you! None of the levels are going to be very difficult, you really don't need to be an fc master to compete. Anyone who knows how to play fc (and has a paid account) can and should join. Even if you don't think you will be able to complete each level, that's ok! Just do what you can.

Judges are appointed on a first come-first serve basis. I don't have a specific time for the start of this competition, we'll decide whatever works best for the people involved.
If you want this competition to happen, sign up, or even make a suggestion!
Act now!

Thanks in advance.
marjo

Re: Speed Solving Comp

Postby djbreslin on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:25 am

marjo wrote:(anyone who denies ever doing this is not telling the truth :wink: )

As someone who does all the work in group projects, you suck. :wink:

Also this comp seems really, really, complicated. I was expecting a least-ticks comp.
djbreslin

Postby marjo on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 am

Hahaha, I was just kidding. I'm usually in the same situation as you are, to be honest. Staying up way too late to do 96% of the project because I don't want to get a bad grade.
Anyway, as for the comp: There have been a couple of hap-style comps recently with lots of tweaking, so I thought maybe a break from that was due, where the only goal is to solve the levels, and just to get them done. No ticks, no badges, you get the idea.
Basically, to make the comp more comprehensible, here is it in a nutshell:
3 judges.
A good number of players.
5 levels.
The judges have all the levels, and have to longway them.
The players have one level at a time. A player solves a level, and the judges give him the next one, then the process repeats.
Tha'ts basically it. We just see which players are fastest, and also who wins, the players or the judges.
:grin:
Edit: In retrospect, yes it seems a bit complicated. But, I think if it works out right (and it will) it will be fun.
marjo

Postby Paleo8 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:04 pm

djbreslin wrote:I was expecting a least-ticks comp.

I was also. If you build three levels for speed and post them...They will come :science: :siren: :toot:
Paleo8

Postby schmittd on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:25 pm

Paleo8 wrote:I was also. If you build three levels for speed and post them...They will come :science: :siren: :toot:

I agree with this. Your proposed comp looks too complicated for me. In a forums where people barely come around, players just want a simple competition. I can tell you that I would not participate in the competition you described, but I will participate in a simple speed comp
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby marjo on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Arghh, ok you guys are boring :argh:
Kidding, anyway maybe I'll do a lest tix comp soon, but not right now....
marjo

Postby rianbay812 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 pm

schmittd wrote:
Paleo8 wrote:I was also. If you build three levels for speed and post them...They will come :science: :siren: :toot:

I agree with this. Your proposed comp looks too complicated for me. In a forums where people barely come around, players just want a simple competition. I can tell you that I would not participate in the competition you described, but I will participate in a simple speed comp
rianbay812

Postby Wafflekins on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:06 pm

rianbay812 wrote:
schmittd wrote:

Wafflekins

Location: An assembly of sticks and sometimes wheels can at once exemplify scientific beauty and fun.

Postby dmasters on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Haha looks like a least ticks comp it is then...

Chat anyone?
dmasters

Postby DOINKSTER on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:39 pm

The way I understand it, I will be trying to solve each level before anybody else and if I eventually solve all the levels before everybody else I win. Sounds good to me. I'll play.
DOINKSTER

Postby marjo on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Hey DOINKSTER. Originally, the plan was like that, but it seems not enough people are interested in this competition, so I don't think that it will happen.
(Join chat everyone...?)
marjo

Postby marjo on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm

What about least ticks elimination? Is that good?
(Designs with least ticks move on to next round, a certain number move on)
marjo

Postby rianbay812 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm

yes
rianbay812

Postby zhyrek on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 pm

rianbay812 wrote:yes
zhyrek

Postby dmasters on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Hmm, elimination style comps require a lot of participation, but there seems to be significant interest so I would say go ahead!
dmasters

Postby electronic12345 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:45 pm

When I read that I was like :aaaaa: That is the greatest comp idea ever. I wanna be a judge!
electronic12345

Return to Challenges and Games