Running a competition

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

Running a competition

Postby jkhouw1 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:54 pm

It really isn't that hard.

1) Design some levels. Yes believe it or not, to have a competition, you need to have built the levels. Yet again and again, people are starting the competitions with out them.

2) State the scoring method. There are plenty of examples out there. Pick one - or build your own - just do it. And for those using OfficiallyHaphazards often cut-n-pasted rules or something else cut-n-pasted, try proofreading it. For example, cut and paste a copy that doesn't say that lightning is not included in the calculator - it is. Some sample rulesets can be found HERE

3) Give clear beginning and ending times to each round. Yes, people need to know how much time they have to tweak. "12:30 PM EST 12/31" - gee that was tough. Don't pick some date a month out, 36-48 hours is usually enough - but can vary depending on how many rounds you have.

Once you have established the above

4) STICK WITH IT. Don't change the levels 1/2 way through - people have probably already started working on them. Don't change the deadline because you haven't gotten any submissions 20 hours before the deadline, some people tweak until the last minute. Don't change the scoring - don't like it? run a new comp later.

A few parting thoughts:
- You don't need to bump your thread every 2 hours. Once a day is enough if others aren't doing it already. More than that you just look like an attention lady of the night.
- Don't expect 100 people to sign up. 5 to 10 people is the norm - unless you are actually any good at running competitions (and by the way, unless you are jtbowden or OfficiallyHaphazard, you probably aren't), in which case you might get 20 people.
- One concurrent competition is enough. If you want to run another, wait until your current P.O.S. is over.

Stick with these few basic principles, and people will have fun. If they have fun, they will likely join another tournament you host.
Last edited by jkhouw1 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
jkhouw1

Location: Browsing the forums, happy signatures are turned off.

Re: Running a competition

Postby Dr. Phil on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm

preach it!
Dr. Phil

Postby tmusquiez on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:57 pm

stickied
tmusquiez

Postby jwhooper on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:06 pm

My "J" brother speaks the truth.

Don't change the frickin rules and say you are taking the top 16, causing contrapioneers like me to take it easy knowing I will get in with a half-assed effort, and then decide to only take the top 8 because you didn't get enough people and don't understand how a bye works, not that I'm talking about any specific competition or anything.
jwhooper

Postby NickOmaboy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:13 pm

NickOmaboy comp: would this be good comp??

(with more levels)

http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=109672 :lightning: 200 :lightning:

http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=108733 :lightning: 130 :lightning:

http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=104966 :lightning: 90 :lightning:

Nick Scoring-

Completing the level: +10
Glitching: -20
Not completing the level : -100
Being a green design: +10
Being a brown design: +15
Being a champion: +15
Boomeranging: +20
Wiping clean: +15
Under the recommended amount of ticks: +15

COMBO
Any combo: +5 for each combination + whatever the score would add up to I.E.- Your design is green and clean. You get 10 points for being green and 15 points for being clean + 5 point bonus. your score is 30.
NickOmaboy

Postby WhyT on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Glitching is always bad. NEVER ALLOW IT!
The glitching is worth the 20 points and here is why.

Say I just black hole a level and move the ball to the goal area. That is a glitch and cost me 20 points.
Now I get 10 for completing.
But I get 10 for green, 15 for brown, Depending you will get 15 for champ, 15 for clean, 15 for lightning, plus the bonus 5 for combo.

+65

On all levels.
WhyT

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Rule number one is the most important rule by far. If you can make good levels, over time your competitions will grow to be respected.
So I will stress this one more time: THINK THROUGH YOUR LEVELS. Think about what badges are possible on them, and how you think they could be solved. Create levels that can be solved in different ways. And don't make some level that has already been done a hundred times before.
I realize that is a tall order, but that is also why making good competitions is hard.
Last edited by OfficiallyHaphazard on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby jofjltn4 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:02 pm

Amen! Preach on, brother J, preach on.
jofjltn4

Postby jdelgado06 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:46 pm

thank you. as the final J brother to chime in, I am really glad someone took the initiative for a thread like this.
jdelgado06

Postby resetxc on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Good post...very relevant too.

Hap is right about the level thing...I have at times entered competitions only to not submit an entry because the levels are poorly designed.

But I might just be stubborn...
resetxc

Postby quote2004focus on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Wow! I've had to take a long sabbatical (sorry about missing your PM, WhyT...wonder what it was, now), but apparently I haven't been missing much. Hoping for a Hap-style comp, since I'm having a hard time meeting the very tempting Tourny-style deadlines. :-(

As for you poser hosts...:argh:!

:lol:
quote2004focus

Postby jofjltn4 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 pm

quote2004focus wrote:Wow! I've had to take a long sabbatical (sorry about missing your PM, WhyT...wonder what it was, now), but apparently I haven't been missing much. Hoping for a Hap-style comp, since I'm having a hard time meeting the very tempting Tourny-style deadlines. :-(

Yeah, hold out for a real OffHap competition. These others will turn your brain to mush.

J
jofjltn4

Postby quote2004focus on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:16 am

Just saw all of the new advertising on the game and forums... Keep my $10. Think I'm done with FC until all the advertising (at least for the paying supporters) is gone. :sad: So dumb... What a waste and ruination of a great site.
quote2004focus

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:48 am

quote2004focus wrote:Just saw all of the new advertising on the game and forums... Keep my $10. Think I'm done with FC until all the advertising (at least for the paying supporters) is gone. :sad: So dumb... What a waste and ruination of a great site.

heh, good to see you back for a bit quote. I think we are all disappointed with the addition of ads, but I have a feeling (hope?) that they will soon be removed for paid users.
Anyhow--any ideas for a comp? I am relatively burnt out, although I do want to show everyone what a real competition is supposed to look like :P
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby WhyT on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:38 am

quote2004focus wrote:Wow! I've had to take a long sabbatical (sorry about missing your PM, WhyT...wonder what it was, now), but apparently I haven't been missing much. Hoping for a Hap-style comp, since I'm having a hard time meeting the very tempting Tourny-style deadlines. :-(

Hell even if you hit them they will be extended then the tourney master will just cut half of you only because they can't do math.
WhyT

Postby Necromac on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:46 am

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:
quote2004focus wrote:Just saw all of the new advertising on the game and forums... Keep my $10. Think I'm done with FC until all the advertising (at least for the paying supporters) is gone. :sad: So dumb... What a waste and ruination of a great site.

heh, good to see you back for a bit quote. I think we are all disappointed with the addition of ads, but I have a feeling (hope?) that they will soon be removed for paid users.
Anyhow--any ideas for a comp? I am relatively burnt out, although I do want to show everyone what a real competition is supposed to look like :P

I'm pretty sad... i feel like I've been left out of the loop of cool kids... this always happens :P... I feel like i know about a lot of the major players by reading the forums so much... but when i try to start a new comp I was very disappointed to see that only 3 people have joined so far... It is a new idea for a comp... I mean.. you see people all day long starting massive threads such as "Battle BOTS!" and it is a 35 page thread of people making machines that have no purpose but to get under the "digger" of the previously made bot. As you can see... great potential but a horribly pointless and skill less.

However, this is where my idea came in... to make a robot tournament... how can this be possible? If, to build your bot and battle against your opponent's you have to do it with his already made. Which clearly gives you the advantage.... The solution., much like the official FC comps, comes with the tournament host to make levels and score the participants according to how well their robot defeats the host's. This will eliminate the humdrum of back and forth battle bot monotony. Also with an addition, please read the rules for a clearer understanding, I made it so if ever a powered wheel touches the ground then victory is forfeit. This with other rules will force people to make actual robots and not just cars. Think of sumo wrestling, if any part of your body save for your feet touch the ground... you lose.... this is what i want to duplicate which will also rid us of the endless battle of " who can get under the "digger" of the other bot.. So please, whoever reads this come to this tread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3032 and sign up.... I promise it will take skill and design to beat my bots and out score your opponents.. the deadline is tonight at 11:59pm
Last edited by Necromac on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Necromac

Postby Necromac on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:52 am

and another thought... whats with all the comps only being won by green solutions.... poor powered wheels.. they are a essential part of the game... I know it takes great skill to master the brown and blue bars into moving things and spending probably hours tweaking it to haphazardly completing your goal... but what about repeatability and machine power and finesse... I feel like because of the green solution award everyone is just making silly and extremely conditional contraptions that are not the main crux of the game.... anyone else feel the same
Necromac

Postby Marrell on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:15 am

Show us brown guys a power contraption that has "repeatability" and isn't "extremely conditional." ;) IMO, every contraption is extremely conditional because you're trying to get the specific goal piece on that specific level, to the specific goal area.

Anyway, J thanks for this post. I agree wholly with it also.

I guess I've gotta go back and figure out why I got 0 response on my comp and see how to improve it.
Marrell

Postby Sgt Superman on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:16 am

I hate that so many people have turned the tourny format into a joke. I hope at least I ran a well orginized Tourny.
Sgt Superman

Postby Necromac on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:39 am

Marrell wrote:Show us brown guys a power contraption that has "repeatability" and isn't "extremely conditional." ;) IMO, every contraption is extremely conditional because you're trying to get the specific goal piece on that specific level, to the specific goal area.

Anyway, J thanks for this post. I agree wholly with it also.

I guess I've gotta go back and figure out why I got 0 response on my comp and see how to improve it.

dude i dint understand a word of what you meant....
Necromac

Next

Return to Challenges and Games