The *New* Joust Challenge

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

The *New* Joust Challenge

Postby 6ft9man on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:41 pm

The Arena

http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=9506

The Rules:

Each Contraption must connect to the Goal Piece on your side. Each contraption must count as a single unit except for "treads" or "chains". These must completely encircle at least one wheel or one piece of wood.

You can only build on your platform, indicated by the narrow region either on the Left or on the Right.

A winner must have BOTH Goal Pieces in the Opponent's Goal Zone (defined by the area of Goal beneath the Opponent's Build Area).

Minimums:
4 Powered Wheels
4 Wood Pieces
1 Goal Piece

Maximums:
8 Powered Wheels
20 Wood Pieces
45 Total Pieces (Including the Goal Piece)
Unpowered Wheels may be used up to the Piece Limitation.

Should a Jam occur, the jammed Entity is disqualified (i.e., you cannot build a contraption that is near impossible to shove down the hole). I've tried to pre-empt this by making the goal entry way the same size as the build areas.

Power Machine Ranking:

A Power Machine is a Machine that, with no more than two changes/adjustments, is able to defeat an opponent who knocked it down before. A change/adjustment is defined below:

Move a single point of connection by the thickness of a wood rod.

Add/remove a rod or wheel.

When two Power Machines face against each other, the winner is declared when the opponent concedes defeat of his machine because he cannot modify it to beat the contender. Conceding occurs automatically when you make more than the allowed number of changes listed above or an opponent does not answer the new challenge within 24 hours.

For every Machine that Concedes to you, your machine gains 1 Rank. The winner is the machine that holds the highest number of Ranks. Power Machines will be listed below whenever I get a chance to update.

Edit: Forgot to add the nod to Macklin for his SUMO Challenge to help work out a lot of the bugs in defining how things will run.
Last edited by 6ft9man on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6ft9man

Re: The *New* SUMO Challenge

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:55 pm

you totally ripped off everything that I worked on and you didn't even mentiond it... that's cool though.

So let's see your first machine to kick things off.

you ripped off almost everything... the eight wheels, the twenty pieces, the 55 piece max you reduced to 45...

Thanks for the nod though.

The only thing that seems off is the 24 hour thing. Waiting that long slows down the excitement of the situation. But let's see how it goes.
macklin

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:59 pm

macklin

Postby 6ft9man on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:05 pm

6ft9man

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:06 pm

6ft9man wrote:The Arena

http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=9506

The Rules:

Each Contraption must connect to the Goal Piece on your side. Each contraption must count as a single unit except for "treads" or "chains". These must completely encircle at least one wheel or one piece of wood.

You can only build on your platform, indicated by the narrow region either on the Left or on the Right.

A winner must have BOTH Goal Pieces in the Opponent's Goal Zone (defined by the area of Goal beneath the Opponent's Build Area).

Minimums:
4 Powered Wheels
4 Wood Pieces
1 Goal Piece

Maximums:
8 Powered Wheels
20 Wood Pieces
45 Total Pieces (Including the Goal Piece)
Unpowered Wheels may be used up to the Piece Limitation.

Should a Jam occur, the jammed Entity is disqualified (i.e., you cannot build a contraption that is near impossible to shove down the hole). I've tried to pre-empt this by making the goal entry way the same size as the build areas.

Power Machine Ranking:

A Power Machine is a Machine that, with no more than two changes/adjustments, is able to defeat an opponent who knocked it down before. A change/adjustment is defined below:

Move a single point of connection by the thickness of a wood rod.

Add/remove a rod or wheel.

When two Power Machines face against each other, the winner is declared when the opponent concedes defeat of his machine because he cannot modify it to beat the contender. Conceding occurs automatically when you make more than the allowed number of changes listed above or an opponent does not answer the new challenge within 24 hours.

For every Machine that Concedes to you, your machine gains 1 Rank. The winner is the machine that holds the highest number of Ranks. Power Machines will be listed below whenever I get a chance to update.

Edit: Forgot to add the nod to Macklin for his SUMO Challenge to help work out a lot of the bugs in defining how things will run.

So this is a dq for me.... because you didn't make the opening big enough.... mine is disqualified simply because it got jammed... that's not fair. Your saying I designed it wrong because it stalled the bigger guy.........
macklin

Postby 6ft9man on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Waiting that long allows people who only get to play before/after work the ability to submit challengers. Remember, that only gives you the Rank Point. It doesn't mean someone else can't challenge your machine. It's not a Top-Machine standing point of view. It's a total number of conceeded enemies.
6ft9man

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 pm

6ft9man wrote:Ram-Man

My First Challenger

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=866791

So does that count, I don't know who I got that idea from...

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=866914
macklin

Postby 6ft9man on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm

There's only one way to win: Put BOTH pieces in the opposing goal. Failure to do that means you did not win. It's not about preventing the opponent from winning. It's about mashing him into the hole and then leaping on top of him to pound him further.
6ft9man

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:10 pm

6ft9man wrote:Waiting that long allows people who only get to play before/after work the ability to submit challengers. Remember, that only gives you the Rank Point. It doesn't mean someone else can't challenge your machine. It's not a Top-Machine standing point of view. It's a total number of conceeded enemies.

So right now if you don't beat my scale in two modifications, I win the power machine status and you're going to publish that scale for all to seee....... I'm awesome.
macklin

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:11 pm

macklin wrote:
6ft9man wrote:Waiting that long allows people who only get to play before/after work the ability to submit challengers. Remember, that only gives you the Rank Point. It doesn't mean someone else can't challenge your machine. It's not a Top-Machine standing point of view. It's a total number of conceeded enemies.

So right now if you don't beat my scale in two modifications, I win the power machine status and you're going to publish that scale for all to seee....... I'm awesome.

I m gonna go start my own SUMO site and totally rip of someone else's effort.... and I'm going to call it the NEW NEW NEW SUMO CHALLENGE VERSION 2.0,
macklin

Postby 6ft9man on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:12 pm

No. You're building outside of the accepted zone. See the very narrow ledge on the left and right? Those are the build areas. Building anywhere else is out of bounds. Yes, that leaves a long run between the two, but that offers players the chance to build up some speed before getting to each other.

Maybe I should have renamed this a Joust Challenge?
6ft9man

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:13 pm

macklin wrote:
macklin wrote:

I m gonna go start my own SUMO site and totally rip of someone else's effort.... and I'm going to call it the NEW NEW NEW SUMO CHALLENGE VERSION 2.0,

No wait *New* *New* *New* SUMO challenge. Hey why not call it, the *I'M TOTALLY UNORIGINAL NEW" SUMO CHALLENGE.
macklin

Postby 6ft9man on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:14 pm

macklin

If you want to get technical, there are at least one other Thread containing Sumo in the title, Arena #2: Sumo (lightweight) or something similar.

Also, please note that I did credit you after an Edit. Did not mean to ruffle feathers.
6ft9man

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:17 pm

6ft9man wrote:
macklin

If you want to get technical, there are at least one other Thread containing Sumo in the title, Arena #2: Sumo (lightweight) or something similar.

Also, please note that I did credit you after an Edit. Did not mean to ruffle feathers.

So you ripped off two people knowingly on purpose... unoriginal squared... beautiful... brilliant.
macklin

Re: The *New* Joust Challenge

Postby 6ft9man on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 pm

Actually, I was merely trying to create and codify rules. The use of Sumo in the title was merely to give people a sense of familiarity. As for Crediting, it was an oversight on my part. It wasn't intended to upset anyone.
6ft9man

Postby macklin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:24 pm

6ft9man wrote:Actually, I was merely trying to create and codify rules. The use of Sumo in the title was merely to give people a sense of familiarity. As for Crediting, it was an oversight on my part. It wasn't intended to upset anyone.

here's the rule man....... have fun.
macklin

Postby Yllnath on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:07 am

Really Mack, grow up. If I would make a sumo challenge level would you yell at me too? I dislike Weasel's level because of the glitch lift, it wrecked one of my contraptions and after that, I just didn't want to try anymore. I also dislike your arena. I think the rules are annoying with defensive and offensive and stuff and the lack of goal balls make it a lot less exciting.
And this level isn't great either because the hole to fall through is waaay to small. If you have 2 mega machines pushing each other, there is a very big chance of blocking because you are not dropping one in, the chance is very big that the winning machine is also blocking a bit of the hole, making it even smaller. You really don't need that much building space, even if you want to have time to speed up.

That being said, I don't like any of the existing sumo arena's so I might just make another one. Anyone want to stop me?
Yllnath

Return to Challenges and Games