[strike]New[/strike] Challenge: Juggling

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

[strike]New[/strike] Challenge: Juggling

Postby 6ft9man on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:44 am

Juggling Challenge!

How many balls can you keep in the air and for how long? We've all seen jongleurs plying their trades and it's quite likely that you've tried it yourself. Maybe you've succeeded. Maybe you're one of those I've seen casually tossing flaming brands and sharp-bladed knives high in the air while making casual chit-chat with the hot person to your left. But, let's get to the point. Can you make a juggling contraption?

Goal:

-To toss one or more RED balls between two separate (and yes, they cannot be connected in any way) contraptions 5 times (i.e., it must touch each contraption five times).
-The Juggling Field: http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=16663

Scoring:

-A juggled ball is worth 5 points.
-Each ball juggled simultaneously doubles the lower ammount (i.e, two balls juggled is 10 points; three balls juggled is 20 points, etc).
-You can further increase your score by increasing the height at which your juggled balls travel. For each level that they penetrate in the air, you modify your score by the number of pips to the left.
-For each minute that you keep all of your balls in the air, you increase the value of your balls by 2 points. This maxes out at 5 minutes.
-Juggling ends when any single ball you are attempting to juggle lands on the ground. This means that juggling multiple balls can increase your score; but makes it harder to keep them in the air for a prolonged period of time.

Anyhow, since I haven't been able to create a contraption that works, I'll leave it to someone else to begin the competition.
Last edited by 6ft9man on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
6ft9man

Re: New Challenge: Juggling

Postby sccook on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:13 am

sccook

Postby NightStryke on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:14 am

Uh, he's put a bit more thought and work into his idea. :P
NightStryke

Postby sccook on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:19 am

NightStryke wrote:

That's debatable. No one ever came up with a completely satisfying solution with no rules. Adding more rules is not likely to increase the chances for success.
sccook

Postby 6ft9man on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:27 am

Well, given the age of the original thread, I didn't see anything. Also, I codified what would be counted as a winner and that there must be two separate machines. I'm not asking for figure eights. I'm merely asking that balls are given air time for 5 rotations back and forth and then rating based on height and length of time that you can keep the balls airborne.

But, nobody says it has to be done. Just trying to see how ingenius people are (especially since there are a lot more people on the forums now than there were a month ago at this time).
6ft9man

Postby NightStryke on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 am

sccook wrote:
NightStryke wrote:

That's debatable. No one ever came up with a completely satisfying solution with no rules. Adding more rules is not likely to increase the chances for success.

I'd chalk that up to lack of interest and - quite frankly - skill. Plus the lack of rules seemed to have just confused matters, as no one really knew what the exact idea was and so just did whatever. It's hardly impossible to juggle, though. Have you not seen the Olympics thread? The badminton champion got over 90 throws.
NightStryke

Postby WhyT on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:44 am

Everyone in that thread is retarded. They all came up with contraptions that would complete the level. Not a one of them ever juggled a ball.

Even if someone did come up with a juggling contraption it makes no difference as this thread is a competition for juggling. That thread was just a "Can it be done?" thread.

I'd love to see it done. I'm not a catapult person myself so I know I have no chance of making it work.
WhyT

Postby sccook on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:54 am

NightStryke wrote:
sccook wrote: Have you not seen the Olympics thread? The badminton champion got over 90 throws.

No I haven't. But it confirms my original comment that this is not a new challenge.
sccook

Postby NightStryke on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:11 am

sccook wrote:
NightStryke wrote:Have you not seen the Olympics thread? The badminton champion got over 90 throws.

No I haven't. But it confirms my original comment that this is not a new challenge.

Oh for the... Look, if you want to interpret it that way, go ahead, but the rules for the two are entirely different - only the basic premise of them are the same. If you don't like this challenge, ignore it.
NightStryke

Re: [strike]New[/strike] Challenge: Juggling

Postby johnwu on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:17 pm

This is a machine I made for the other juggling thread. It does 9 throws and 8 catches with 1 ball. Maybe somebody can tweak the idea to make it work for this contest.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1338919
johnwu

Return to Challenges and Games