A Haphazard Competition

Report bugs, registration issues, or just suggest some new features in this thread! Guaranteed to have at least 10% more dev attention than other threads!

Re: A Haphazard Competition

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:57 pm

And the winner is (drum roll please)....

(Feel free to use your custom congratulations however you want, mr. mnielsen, I am sure it is quite valuable :P)
Awesome job all of you! I was really impressed with all of your solutions--many of them I never thought up of myself and could never have thought up . Take a minute or two to browse through the solutions, there were a lot of really close competitors, and a lot of really interesting solutions. For the record, I am the loser: my first solution had 7 points, my second had 38 and I didn't even attempt the last one (100 points? ... but then again I wasn't playing for a score :P). Anyhow I hope the competition was fun. Follow up questions: should I put on this type of competition again? should the scoring be changed at all? what about the map pack? anything else?

The complete scoreboard is below (some of you incorrectly scored your solutions, I checked all of them and they should be all right now). They are ordered such that the earliest entries that were sent in to me were at the bottom and the latest entries on top.
(btw, isn't it all pretty in the layout?! :D )

Key: [C] = Champion, [G] = Green

RocketRick
Easy Street: 14
No Bridge: 29
Top n' Bottom: 44
Total: 87

Selkie
Easy Street: 3 [C]
No Bridge: -13 [G] [C]
Top n' Bottom: 25 (pretty slick solution, but takes forever to finish)
Total: 15

stutesman
Easy Street: 5 [C]
No Bridge: -11 [G] [C]
Top n' Bottom: 24 [C]
Total: 18

mnielsen
Top n' Bottom: 21 [C]
Total: 11

irishxpride
Easy Street: 13
No Bridge: 36
Top n' Bottom: 49 (nice bit of acrobatics at the end)
Total: 98

weasel
Easy Street: 7 [C]
No Bridge: -6 [G]
Top n' Bottom: 26 [C]
Total: 27

QB
Easy Street: 7
Top n' Bottom: 47
Total: 41

TheBob10a
No Bridge: -12 [G] [C]
Top n' Bottom: 32 [C]
Total: 23

MetallicDragon
Easy Street: 9 [C]
No Bridge: -9 [G]
Top n' Bottom: 23 [C]
Total: 23

westfork
Easy Street: 7
Top n' Bottom: 32
Total: 30

holmstrom
Top n' Bottom: 24
Total: 22

Sgt Superman
No Bridge: 14
Top n' Bottom: 38
Total: 59
Last edited by OfficiallyHaphazard on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby MetallicDragon on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:04 pm

Wouldn't the green champion solutions on the second one be 2 for the parts, then half because its larger than -10 would be, and then -5 for a total of -4?
MetallicDragon

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:08 pm

MetallicDragon wrote:Wouldn't the green champion solutions on the second one be 2 for the parts, then half because its larger than -10 would be, and then -5 for a total of -4?

I suppose I was a bit unclear; I meant whatever causes the bigger loss of points. So the largest minimizer, or in this case, the -10. Sorry if that messed you up at all
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby mnielsen on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:14 am

Yay!I won the prize.

Thanks for the effort on this Hap.

I have to admit that my design for top-bottom was a bit flukey, and I didn't really have any other ideas, so I was a bit lucky there.

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:Follow up questions: should I put on this type of competition again? should the scoring be changed at all? what about the map pack? anything else?

Yes, please! No. OK. No.
mnielsen

Postby irishxpride on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:13 am

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:Follow up questions: should I put on this type of competition again? should the scoring be changed at all? what about the map pack? anything else?

Grats to mnielson!!

Hap, I enjoyed this quite a bit (and hope to get a bit less kludgey next time :))

Please do another whenever you get a chance!

edit: can I get a consolation prize for mediocrity?

HIGHEST SCORE!!!

I'm calling it the kludge award...
irishxpride

Postby QB on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:17 am

Great competition! Can't wait for the next one!
QB

Postby weasel on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:24 am

Aw man, I can't believe I got 6th place after all that work. I thought I'd be in the top 3 for sure. *harumph*

MNielson, amazing job.

Hap, loved the contest, I think the scoring and balance was pretty good (Without giving it too much thought anyway). I look forward to another one!
weasel

Postby Selkie on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 am

Congrats mneilson! Your top & bottom solution is brilliant.

Thanks Hap for giving me a source of obsession for a few days. Well done! Yes, please do another! Just maybe not right away (I have to go find my kittens under my laundry piles, empty the fridge of brown things, and remind my fiance what I look like).
Selkie

Previous

Return to Feedback and Problems