Okay, the "real" bump.

Non-game-related stuff (beta)

Okay, the "real" bump.

Postby uberman56 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:50 am

So, I loved this game, so much I bought it, so much that i am friends with many other people from this community. But I really want the game back more, like the community, the designs that sparked up some insane creativity, I want all that back. But ever since FC2 came out, it ripped this game apart. As of now, Im going to start playing more frequently and hopefully have more people come back. Cmon, can you do that for Uber?

~Uberman
uberman56

Re: Okay, the "real" bump.

Postby rlbabits on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:37 pm

I would love to see this game back in full blast again too- but you have to figure out what caused the cessation in the first place. I would have to say it was sort of a coincidence that FC2 came out right after the concept of the game got old.
If you look at it, by the time FC2 came out- the game's industrial age was over. It was not because there was no way to make new things but rather the idea of creating new things and sharing them with the community got old. The game was not able to provide new outlets for creativity, there was only brown ingenuity. The only reason people still make designs when there are almost no people to show off to would be IMO, competitive reasons. (Aka who is the brightest of the bunch) When FC2 came out the hope was for the same game with a new outlet for creativity- but what happened was an altered game was made with the same outlet for creativity.

what they should have done was IMO release FC2 and hold that mega huge comp there. that would have allowed more people to make the transfer and maybe more ways to fulfill the FC creative outlet would have been discovered and that relate to more people.

you want new people to play fc and go to the forums? have the game creators make a new outlet for creativity in the game, or easier, go to other forums and educate people on the brown side of fc. i bet you could get thousands of people to play. i don't do it because there is no pay, if someone said, "you can have 10% of the money that comes into fc from people you refer tons of people would be getting tons of people to play, and they could even make it so the people who were referred get some kind of coupon.

im sure there was a way to say most of that crap i wrote in like two sentences but what ev. Yes my opinion is quite biased, i would like to see why others think the game went out so quick..and maybe balance out my bias.
rlbabits

Postby resetxc on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:15 pm

everyone would have to come back, and that's never going to happen. This cow has already been cashed and slaughtered
resetxc

Postby darkeagle on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:52 am

ohai resetxc.

Yes, everyone has moved on from FC, as it never gets updates, weasel and pacifist never post anymore, and now we've got big shiny FC2 to play. >.>
darkeagle

Postby ~Jon~ on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi there. I agree with reset, the game is far beyond revival. Rlbabits also nailed it pretty well. Its still interesting to talk about though, right? here's a few other reasons i think contributed if they aren't already obvious. What seemed to have happened is that Inxile landed themselves in a vicious circle, which is: Less players -> more ads to compensate -> even less players. This started because, as said before, they weren't quick enough to release fc2.

When they did finally release fc2, it was (still is) buggy. The search function was hard and slow to navigate. The comical logo and sound effects made it seem as if it were targeted at a much younger audience than the game is designed for (10 year olds generally aren't good engineers, agreed?). Then we had separated forums. Even if the two forums are only a website away, it was still significant enough to disrupt an already failing community even more.

There are plenty of reasons I forgot to mention, however
I would have gladly obsessed over this game for another year if things turned out better!
~Jon~

Postby darkeagle on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:49 am

Hey Jon! :D

And yeah, I agree completely. They never should've separated the games, and their forums, IMO.
darkeagle

Postby peepsy4978 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:15 am

After a few bumps from me (yay, another bump!), a few people came back. Mostly just in the Off-Topic, though :D
peepsy4978

Postby Error-QM on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:28 pm

You are going to have to realize that your bumping didn't cause (and couldn't have caused) people to return... :colbert:
You simply had good timing and appeared for the first time yourself as a bunch of us were coming back, perhaps the summer rush for FC players. ;)
In my case, my main account {???} was banned unjustly. I spent more than a year and a half waiting until weasel was gone for good, so I could come back on a new account without being banned again. If I recall correctly, this was just before your bumps began.

We've been fortunate enough to retain many of the FC greats:
Rlbabits, Jyo, Rianbay812, IGLima, lord_hamybal, Brian3.14, Waffle, uuuiiiooop, Pawel.Anikiel, skateskier (on the alternate account Double.S for login reasons), schmittd (whom I forgot to mention), camaro 09 (who knows no manners :lol: ), sparkleflower and, of course, what manner of person could forget zhyrek? Of course there are others, but these are the names that come to mind when I think of FC now. There are probably others in the GC4 thread by IGLima, whom I have forgotten to mention.
Even better, we've amassed many new players who have joined the forums and become active in our community:
marcxb and ken75 are now among us, and Light-quick and gunsjammed are just beginning to don the FC cloak as well.

My point is, of course, that FC is not dead. We as a much smaller forum community can keep it alive--and no, I do not mean on life support. Just because we have a much smaller community of players now does not mean anything. Those of us who remained have the year(s) of experience as top-tier (or at least upper-tier) contraptioneers. This is something we should be proud of--something Colin Northway would be proud of if he were still among us. As for newcomers, whether coming out of the gate hard and fast or taking your time getting better at this game, you have many skillful players to learn from. Yes, the predominant style of contraption-building is :brown: , so you won't see many powered wheels being thrown around here and there. But there are still plenty of styles and types of contraptions to learn.

If we all keep to it, if those of us who are left and those who have joined us both decide to stay with FC, I am positive it will live on. We've too many incredible players for it not to! And all we need are for more to join our online community, to learn from us and, in due time, to improve their contraptioneering skills--and then who would dare say FC is dead?

Rlbabits made a good point, nearly a year ago. To get more players to come to FC, we will need to spread the word to other forums. Whether we should educate them on the brown side of FC is of course debatable, since I personally wouldn't get specific about a game until my target audience has played for a little bit and agreed it is interesting enough to pursue further. But referring others to this game is one of the clear tools for FC's continued survival. Don't be afraid, for example, to bump into a friend figuratively and mention FC in passing, give them the address and bid them "have fun." Once in a while, it will lead to success. I've hooked three people on the game, two of whom indicate they want to join the forums (I'm hounding them to this day).

We need to let other people know, others who find enjoyment in the kind of puzzle game that FC most decidedly is, others who want to see how such nigh-infinite complexity can be defined by simple rules--the constraints of FC, its pieces, and its Victory! conditions--we need to let them know that FC exists, that it has whatever entertainment they are looking for, that anybody who tries hard enough and has the patience to stick to their guns can one day become a truly fantastic contraptioneer. More than anything, we need to let them know this.

We are still here.
Last edited by Error-QM on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Error-QM

Postby camaro 09 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 am

forgot me asshole
camaro 09

Postby Error-QM on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:31 pm

camaro 09 wrote:forgot me as[color=#000000]sh[/color]ole

I appreciate the diplomatic reminder as well as the filter avoiding. Updated :)
Error-QM

Postby rianbay812 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Error-QM wrote:
camaro 09 wrote:forgot me as[color=#000000]sh[/color]ole

I appreciate the diplomatic reminder as well as the filter avoiding. Updated :)

Error-QM wrote:You are going to have to realize that your bumping didn't cause (and couldn't have caused) people to return... :colbert:
You simply had good timing and appeared for the first time yourself as a bunch of us were coming back, perhaps the summer rush for FC players. ;)
In my case, my main account {???} was banned unjustly. I spent more than a year and a half waiting until weasel was gone for good, so I could come back on a new account without being banned again.
If I recall correctly, this was just before your bumps began.

We've been fortunate enough to retain many of the FC greats:
Rlbabits, Jyo, Rianbay812, IGLima, lord_hamybal, Brian3.14, Waffle, uuuiiiooop, Pawel.Anikiel, skateskier (on the alternate account Double.S for login reasons), schmittd (whom I forgot to mention), camaro 09 (who knows no manners :lol: ), sparkleflower and, of course, what manner of person could forget zhyrek? Of course there are others, but these are the names that come to mind when I think of FC now. There are probably others in the GC4 thread by IGLima, whom I have forgotten to mention.
Even better, we've amassed many new players who have joined the forums and become active in our community:
marcxb and ken75 are now among us, and Light-quick and gunsjammed are just beginning to don the FC cloak as well.

My point is, of course, that FC is not dead. We as a much smaller forum community can keep it alive--and no, I do not mean on life support. Just because we have a much smaller community of players now does not mean anything. Those of us who remained have the year(s) of experience as top-tier (or at least upper-tier) contraptioneers. This is something we should be proud of--something Colin Northway would be proud of if he were still among us. As for newcomers, whether coming out of the gate hard and fast or taking your time getting better at this game, you have many skillful players to learn from. Yes, the predominant style of contraption-building is :brown: , so you won't see many powered wheels being thrown around here and there. But there are still plenty of styles and types of contraptions to learn.

If we all keep to it, if those of us who are left and those who have joined us both decide to stay with FC, I am positive it will live on. We've too many incredible players for it not to! And all we need are for more to join our online community, to learn from us and, in due time, to improve their contraptioneering skills--and then who would dare say FC is dead?

Rlbabits made a good point, nearly a year ago. To get more players to come to FC, we will need to spread the word to other forums. Whether we should educate them on the brown side of FC is of course debatable, since I personally wouldn't get specific about a game until my target audience has played for a little bit and agreed it is interesting enough to pursue further. But referring others to this game is one of the clear tools for FC's continued survival. Don't be afraid, for example, to bump into a friend figuratively and mention FC in passing, give them the address and bid them "have fun." Once in a while, it will lead to success. I've hooked three people on the game, two of whom indicate they want to join the forums (I'm hounding them to this day).

We need to let other people know, others who find enjoyment in the kind of puzzle game that FC most decidedly is, others who want to see how such nigh-infinite complexity can be defined by simple rules--the constraints of FC, its pieces, and its Victory! conditions--we need to let them know that FC exists, that it has whatever entertainment they are looking for, that anybody who tries hard enough and has the patience to stick to their guns can one day become a truly fantastic contraptioneer. More than anything, we need to let them know this.

We are still here.

:)
rianbay812

Postby camaro 09 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 pm

Im justa kiddin hahaha
camaro 09

Postby peepsy4978 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:21 am

i was kidding too but well written.
peepsy4978

Return to Off-Topic (beta)