who did you look up to

Non-game-related stuff (beta)

who did you look up to

Postby lord_hamybal on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 pm

who did you look up to back in the days??

my favorite was Nurket at 2008,
Lukasran was my second man to look up to!

and when protogenius started to come in i still could be impressed!
still don't know why he got 3 accounts. :)

and at the moment i don't have anyone anymore:)

so who did you look up to?
lord_hamybal

Re: who did you look up to

Postby rianbay812 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:36 pm

lord_hamybal wrote:and at the moment i don't have anyone anymore:)

liar. victor is the man

camaro 09 was who I originally looked up to, jyo got me onto the forums, and now it's that guy ^^^
rianbay812

Postby lord_hamybal on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:46 pm

haha sorry i never looked up to victor ^^ because we both are solvers:)

rian , brian3.14 is that your acc also?
lord_hamybal

Postby rlbabits on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:09 pm

I'd have to say in the beginning nurket was untouchable in terms of every aspect of this game, and i def looked up to him..but then lukasran stepped it up right before nurket left, and does some of the most remarkable things I've seen in any game. almost every time he makes a contraption it puts a grin on my face and i have a "wtf" moment. the first level set i made had one objective: to get lukas and nurket to solve my levels because their designs were so cool. still look up to lukas even tho he left :P

i look up to remy too because every time i try to make a challenging level i ask myself if remy could solve it..if the answer is no, i realize the level is probably unsolvable and i fix it. def look up to remy as far as extremely difficult solves are concerned.

...and cruiser for winning so many competitions :)
rlbabits

Postby Error-QM on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:27 pm

After Victor infected me with the brown virus, the first person I looked up to was Nurket. I mean, come on, his designs scream this: "Hey, I don't care how complicated this design gets. If it gets the job done, I'm sticking with it." Kind of like the bitterness of a grapefruit - On its own, blech. In conjunction with good things, ipecac! (and tasty)

Remy, pretty much the same. Remy can do anything better than me by that much, whether it's length of an extender/bridge/underextender. His Brown Challenges thread was definitely the stuff I needed to hone my various abilities to the edge I desired. But to think that he solved all of them...now that's pretty freaking COOL.

Entity deserves a special mention though. I love how he can sometimes take a complex level and beat it in an underhanded fashion. He inspired me to do a lot of the "simplicity" designs I do (esp. on Remy's Brown Challenges).

Well, there's another essay for you all. Cheerio!

-{???}
Error-QM

Postby Wafflekins on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Kalma the most because of all his awesome powered solves, but really I could name many players like remy, rl, victor, robotmafia etc etc.

But this guy above me makes some pretty damn awesome longways :)
Wafflekins

Location: An assembly of sticks and sometimes wheels can at once exemplify scientific beauty and fun.

Postby Jyo on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:02 am

remy, babits, and sparkles, i.e. winners of JohnnyChoob's WWIII comp when I first joined the forums.

saw some sickkk designs in that comp.
Jyo

Postby Xizeeks on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:09 am

C28. His ability to warp his reality rivaled a black hole.
Xizeeks

Postby rianbay812 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Xizeeks wrote:C28. His ability to warp his reality rivaled a black hole.

LOL

remy, brian3.14 is a completely different person
rianbay812

Postby Brian3.14 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:59 am

rianbay812 wrote:
Xizeeks wrote:C28. His ability to warp his reality rivaled a black hole.

LOL

remy, brian3.14 is a completely different person

yes, this another Brian :3

and I'm looking up Jyo, Schmittd and IGLima because they got some cool designs and they helped me with some problems :)
Brian3.14

Location: games are a phenomenal way to feel the rewards we need,without all of the unknown challenges of life

Postby jdelgado06 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:53 am

Great thread. I'll throw my vote in for lukasran because he did some of the most truly fantastic contraptions I've ever seen. Stunningly creative.

Also have to give props to Entity, usually able to come up with really nice simple elegant solves no one else could think of. Ahead of his time, I'd say.

Cruiser40 because he always seemed to beat me by like 1 tick or 1 point in a comp no matter how hard I tried.

Kalma for the reasons above.

Remy and Thik for ipecac brown solves I could only dream of.

For level creation, ID36, Dr. Phil, onion, and Hap.

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but that's a good starting list for me.
jdelgado06

Postby compscure on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:00 am

lukasran was an artist

skitters was amazing. As good as anyone who played.

Remy and Thik are the kings of M&G. They both changed that thread when they showed up. Ridiculous edits and solves.

Love the elegance of Jyo and skateskier.

el beef was the Michael Jordan of unconnected.
compscure

Postby schmittd on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 am

remy for brown stuff. id say victor, but he was pretty much gone by the time i got here. i also really like most even though he never shows up.
i like IGLima too but he doesnt really hang around the forums, he just solves stuff. i like remy because he hangs around and converses a little bit.
rian is sweet, but i gotta admit, when i first showed up, he seemed too arrogant (no offense), but he has definitely proven himself.
jyo is awesome too.
{???} is awesome at (brown) longways. i dont know about skateskier, but hes good too

ID36 and cruiser and maybe jdel for simplicity and hap.

rlbabits (i guess he is also proto?), jyo and kinda zhyrek i suppose for ingenuity and creativity. as well as kalma, lukasran, and nurket, but im too new to know them. i almost feel like i could mention jdccdj in this.

jdel, mtdewd and jompy for unconnected. they rock. i love remys unconnected edits too

id vote brian3.14 for "most improved" or "best newbie" of the year.

as for myself, id like to think im pretty good, but in reality, ive gotten all my ideas from people that ive already mentioned haha
Last edited by schmittd on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby jdccdj1 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:20 pm

i stumbled upon the game in the summer of 2010 after viewing an awesome youtube vid, but did not have a paid account until
later due to fchacked was posting new levels on handling, (which i later saw were M&G shuffle edits)...i got my FC "fix" this way
until the spring of 2011, when i bought an account and started to solve anything and everything...but, it wasn't until i came
across this design, http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11237747 by lord_hamybal, that i thought, "my GOD! there is so
much more to this game," and i started to seek out the BEST and learn from them...so, my "idols" are (in no particular order):

--VETERANS--
lord_hamybal, ~jon~, rianbay, rlbabits (& all his alter-egos), iglima, mtdewd, jdelgado, compscure, zhyrek, dokQ, camaro 09,
wafflekins, thik_tip, season, lukasran, jyo, skateskier, sparkleflower, {???}......

--NKOTB--
schmittd, brian3.14, pawel

by no means are these list complete, but my hat's off to those i have listed...
i have learned much from each and everyone of you :)

-foss

EDIT: @schmittd- nothing bad, lol...it means "New Kid On The Block" ...of which, i am one too
Last edited by jdccdj1 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdccdj1

Postby schmittd on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm

what does nkotb mean?
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby rianbay812 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 pm

w00t i'm veteran status now! I suppose 2 years is a good mark of that.
rianbay812

Postby Wafflekins on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Woah rianbay you joined before me?
Wafflekins

Location: An assembly of sticks and sometimes wheels can at once exemplify scientific beauty and fun.

Postby rianbay812 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:23 pm

I joined when this game first popped up on addictinggames. But then I left for like 6 months and thought "woah, remember that fun game?" and then started playing again. You joined the forums first probably...
rianbay812

Postby camaro 09 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:43 pm

ive been here longer then most people haha. i used to look up to everyone that was in the greatest contraptioneers 1 video. i used to watch that video every single night. it was my motivation.
camaro 09

Return to Off-Topic (beta)