Music from Ken75

Non-game-related stuff (beta)

Music from Ken75

Postby ken75 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi friends. I've written a few piano songs that I actually like, so I thought I'd share them with you!

Schizophrenia
The Salt and Pepper Rhapsody Original
Prelude
Seventy-Seven

Music videos!
Seventy-Seven
Wavelengths (Channel Trailer!)
Shop Shop
The Bridge

I'll probably just update this if I get around to making more... hope you enjoy them :3
Last edited by ken75 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ken75

Re: Music from Ken75

Postby NotNickName on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 am

awesome! I really like the piano, way to go.
NotNickName

Postby marjo on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:45 am

Great stuff!
marjo

Postby Brian3.14 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:21 am

Sounds great Kennie!
Brian3.14

Location: games are a phenomenal way to feel the rewards we need,without all of the unknown challenges of life

Postby ken75 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks guys :)
ken75

Postby Maximirobbes on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:37 pm

I listened to them all and loved them! I am a musician too, I play piano and clarinet so this was awesome to me. My favorite was Schizophrenia. I liked how it started out so sad, like a rainy day in a big city, then suddenly changed mood for a bit, just like schizophrenia makes people do. I was impressed by the complexity of your chord progressions in the slow section. Did you make them up on the spot while composing, or did you plan them extensively?
I have composed a few pieces for piano, and they all turn out the same, with sixteenth notes in the right hand and thick chords in the left hand throughout most of the song. Your compositions helped me realize that perhaps I do not need to be so complex. I noticed the same "single note - chord - chord - single note - chord - chord" pattern in the left hand, which I found surprisingly beautiful. I couldn't distinguish what they were, though, my ear isn't that good.
Anyways, what is your thought process? Because I love your music and did not notice many mistakes, though you said you played poorly. It seems that the composer is always harder on himself than his audience.
Maximirobbes

Postby ken75 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks so much for the comments! I actually wrote a very trite upbeat melody with a simple left hand similar to the "prelude" one first, and then sort of distorted it and changed the left hand up quite a bit. When the chorus left hand was first created it was just 5 chords with some pretty awkward timing. The song originally would have had like a 5:7 time signature or something. I then slowly worked out the timing. The slow 'happy' part actually came together through improvisation, and both the fast 'happy' part and the intro were based on a couple interesting doodles I had done before. And the mistakes I made in it were mostly just timing errors. I just feel like I didn't play the notes very uniformly at all. But hey, that could be a statement in itself I suppose.
ken75

Postby Maximirobbes on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 pm

So in essence, the song is a mish-mash or prelude, personal improvisation, and previous "doodles"? I find myself doing the same thing. I wrote a song almost exactly a year ago called Ozark Rails (haven't written one since) and it was a mashup of all my favorite musical themes.
Back then, my favorite song by a long shot was Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin, so I made the beginning sound an awful lot like that, lilty and break-neck fast. Then I moved into a 6/8 section that sounded very similar to a previous song I had written, then moved back to Fantasie Impromptu type stuff. I guess you could say that was the first third of my song.
Then the song progressed into another 6/8 section which was much slower, similar to the first twenty seconds of Schizophrenia in style. It wasn't long, but it was quite slow, so it was the middle third of the song.
The final third of the song was fast, but didn't include nearly as much Chopin style movement. It had original improv moving line type things, and it kind of sounded like a flute solo even though it was on piano. The last eight measures were essentially an aggrandized version of the first eight measures.

I never could play the song worth crap, but it was by far my favorite.

I really should record it sometime, but once again, great job on your creativity. For your future songs, I would recommend a more defined ending as well, I felt like Salt and Pepper and Schizophrenia just sort of ended without warning. And remember, the beginning and the ending are what the listener remembers most.
Maximirobbes

Postby ken75 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:49 pm

These songs are what they are and nothing divisible. I don't write songs to sound good necessarily, and I couldn't be bothered to cater to what a listener might like. I write about people. All three of them are about an individual, and Schizophrenia is actually about me. I'm not sure if people can tell from my posts on here but I am actually quite depressed and was much more so at the time of writing Schizophrenia. I'm not going to give a full analysis of every part here.. Just know that I wrote the original song with the intention of distorting it, and it ends in what could have been the middle of the song because I was pretty sure I was going to... well... you know. The Salt & Pepper Rhapsody is about the best friend I've ever had, who is unfortunately getting closer and closer to the end of his days. I've edited the last 45 seconds or so since recording, but I think the message is still there; it's supposed to sound like the song is fighting not to end, just as I know he will.
But thanks for taking interest in them, it does mean a lot to get more than a "Cool" or an "add lyrics lol" :3
ken75

Postby Maximirobbes on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks for composing and giving your comments and everything. You are a huge inspiration to me and I barely know anything about you. I just know you write deep, thoughtful songs and you are really good at brown contraptions. (I've seen a couple videos with your stuff.) If you make any more compositions, I want to hear them!
Sorry for critiquing, I didn't know you were writing them more to express yourself than to please an audience. I've never really used music as a way to chill out or better understand life or to explain the life of someone. I've always thought of music as being purely about pleasing an audience and impressing people, cause you know, that's what they pound into your head in band class, you have to sound "good, and be in tune, and have good tone, and follow the conductor, etc. etc. etc...". Anyways, that is a very beautiful way to show your friend that you care about him, make sure he hears it if he hasn't yet.
Maximirobbes

Postby ken75 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Maximirobbes wrote:Thanks for composing and giving your comments and everything. You are a huge inspiration to me and I barely know anything about you.

Wow, thanks! It's an honor sir.

And I would like to hear your piece, should you get around to recording it
ken75

Postby Maximirobbes on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 pm

I wish I could continue to write music and perhaps record. However, today was my last piano lesson I will ever have. I quit piano for real today because the last two years has been really depressing. The more depressed I am, the less I want to do things I know I love. That's why I'm here at FC, because somehow I knew it would be a blast. I find it quite funny, almost creepy how much I have in common with the few people I have met so far. (ken, marjo, a couple others)

I guess I used to be in a much worse situation, half a year ago at the beginning of my sophomore year I started getting really angry and rebellious about everything in life and stopped practicing piano regularly, even though I had been at it for 6-7 years. It took me until now to confess how much I was hating lessons. I have dropped many things I love in life: playing piano, giving a crap about band, speedcubing, chess, programming, hacky sacking, making games, reading, school, even my beloved religion in hopes of finding out who I really am.

To this day I have no idea what I want to do in life, heck I don't even know what makes me happy anymore, it's been so long since I've been happy. I haven't contemplated suicide because I still feel like I am a powerful person, and also because I knew people would forget me if I died. (as ironic as that sounds) I am very well respected and popular at school, everyone has confidence that I can do something great in the world except myself.

So that's why I am here. There is nothing more fun in the whole world, not a trip to Disneyland, skydiving, hanging out with my best friends, than sitting down and playing FC while getting to know this small yet sweet community. I hope you continue to share about your life out loud, it will help you understand things. You know, that's one thing they tell you in school that's actually not bull.
Maximirobbes

Postby electronic12345 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Maximirobbes wrote:I wish I could continue to write music and perhaps record. However, today was my last piano lesson I will ever have. I quit piano for real today because the last two years has been really depressing. The more depressed I am, the less I want to do things I know I love. That's why I'm here at FC, because somehow I knew it would be a blast. I find it quite funny, almost creepy how much I have in common with the few people I have met so far. (ken, marjo, a couple others)

I guess I used to be in a much worse situation, half a year ago at the beginning of my sophomore year I started getting really angry and rebellious about everything in life and stopped practicing piano regularly, even though I had been at it for 6-7 years. It took me until now to confess how much I was hating lessons. I have dropped many things I love in life: playing piano, giving a crap about band, speedcubing, chess, programming, hacky sacking, making games, reading, school, even my beloved religion in hopes of finding out who I really am.

To this day I have no idea what I want to do in life, heck I don't even know what makes me happy anymore, it's been so long since I've been happy. I haven't contemplated suicide because I still feel like I am a powerful person, and also because I knew people would forget me if I died. (as ironic as that sounds) I am very well respected and popular at school, everyone has confidence that I can do something great in the world except myself.

So that's why I am here. There is nothing more fun in the whole world, not a trip to Disneyland, skydiving, hanging out with my best friends, than sitting down and playing FC while getting to know this small yet sweet community. I hope you continue to share about your life out loud, it will help you understand things. You know, that's one thing they tell you in school that's actually not bull.

:cry: That is the most beautiful anyone has ever posted on this site
electronic12345

Postby ken75 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 pm

Wowee. Screw lessons man! I took violin lessons for 4 years before I just couldn't stand it anymore. I began to resent practicing and eventually even the sound was infuriating. And it's so sad because it's really not violin's fault! I've never taken a piano lesson and I still love it. My family always tries to pressure me into them but I maintain that music that should come from within. Playing flawlessly just how Yundi Li plays, wouldn't be nearly as gratifying or as meaningful as when you're playing poorly like yourself. Give up lessons, but don't give up piano brotha'.
I mean, give it up if you really want to I totally get it if you dislike piano itself :P
ken75

Postby Maximirobbes on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:35 pm

That's the thing, I do love piano and I resented piano lessons for quite a while before I did away with them, because I'm too shy to say that I'm hating it. I have been thinking the exact same thing, that
music should come from within.

I guess you're right that I don't need someone to tell me if I am any good. If you have really never had any lessons, then that is news to me! You sound great. I would rather listen to you play your couple of compositions than to Chopin play his greatest masterpieces because you play for fun and it always comes from deep down. Thanks for helping me realize some things.

I guess the reason I took lessons for so long is because of my culture. Where I live, everyone and their mom plays piano. Most people are barely good enough to play the slow section in Fur Elise. I guess it took someone from another culture to snap me out of the idea that music doesn't have to be a chore. Thanks for the millionth time.
Maximirobbes

Postby ken75 on Thu May 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Whoop! Added a new short little song, and I also made a re-do of Salt and Pepper with a few extra bits and just a better play through all together!
ken75

Postby ken75 on Sat May 10, 2014 11:38 pm

Made my first music video with a re-shoot of the song!! I'm very very proud of it, I hope you guys like it!
ken75

Postby uuuiiiooop on Sun May 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Wow, nice songs! :O
I particularly love seventy seven... any chance you'd share your sheet music? :3
I play piano too and would love to give it a go
uuuiiiooop

Location: More than five hundred thousand levels. Over eleven million designs.

Postby ken75 on Sun May 11, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks!!
But I'm sorry, I can't actually read sheet music let alone write it :/
ken75

Postby ken75 on Sat May 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Made another small little video just as a trailer for people to decide if they wanna subscribe to meeeee, but I gave the music this wobble effect and I think it turned out fantastic. Hope y'all like 'dis tiny addition :3
ken75

Next

Return to Off-Topic (beta)