Let me apologize now...

Discuss Multiplayer Challenges here!

Let me apologize now...

Postby Montego001 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:04 pm

I want to make this clear, I have previously said and stand by this thought; these "competitions" are ridiculously easy and really have no point to them. The "competitions" are nothing more than an excuse to move a single rod or wheel to beat your opponent. The reason I have bothered to spend 5 minutes to win nearly all of the ones on this page is to prove how silly easy it is to win when there is no real goal.

Before you all start to yell "foul", let me explain. I have, in the past, tried to devise competitions where there can actually be a final winner. I have built a competition where there was a tug of war where severe limits were placed on the build area so that there could be a "final" winner. In addition, I built a competition where there was a timed catapult and the shortest time won. I find these kinds of competitions fun since they actually require thought and building skill.

I'm sorry that I had to make this point so visual. I'm no champion of "multiplayer events". I'm only an average FCer. But if an average FCer can monopolize this forum, there is something wrong with the competitions.

So here is what I propose. Why not try to make competitions where there can be a final winner that can beat all comers. Make severe limits on the contraptions. Make severe limits on the build area. Propose competitions where the best contraption actually wins. I think most folks will enjoy the competitions more.

And again, I am sorry for being such a pr1ck in the process of making a point.

Take care,

Montego
Montego001

Re: Let me apologize now...

Postby meteoro on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Im pretty sure that the point of multiplayer games are that they will never end.

Thats why they are limits, so someone cant use all pieces and win.

the games arent contests that have a final winner, they are just never ending games.
meteoro

Postby Skips on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:18 am

I also think that most Multiplayer games are endless, every bot has a flaw, and people have learned the best technique of dealing with it.

If it's "final" winner games that you are after, people don't find that fun, they like to win over and over again, even if their efforts are minimal. Perhaps creating 80 piece contraptions and attempting to beat them as a community would be a concept for a challenge.
Skips

Postby BobDaHoboRulz on Sat May 01, 2010 4:35 am

I, being a below average contraptionista, enjoy being able to actually win sometimes.
BobDaHoboRulz

Postby Feste on Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 pm

BobDaHoboRulz wrote:I, being a below average contraptionista, enjoy being able to actually win sometimes.

I am not that good but I an still complete some shuffles.
Montego001 wrote:I want to make this clear, I have previously said and stand by this thought; these "competitions" are ridiculously easy and really have no point to them. The "competitions" are nothing more than an excuse to move a single rod or wheel to beat your opponent. The reason I have bothered to spend 5 minutes to win nearly all of the ones on this page is to prove how silly easy it is to win when there is no real goal.

There is still 1 you did not complete: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8767
Feste

Postby Montego001 on Tue May 04, 2010 7:04 pm

I did submit a contraption for that competition, but it was too boring and there was no point to it:
http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=10521490
Montego001

Postby yttria on Wed May 05, 2010 6:59 pm

i fully agree with you, Montego.... I have spent some serious time making a few fairly complex contraptions, covering both offense and defense, only to have the following competitor literally move the position of ONE rod and thusly "beat" me.

Most of the times i try my best to complete a completely *new* contraption, or at the very least modifying one of MY previous builds. Being an artist i feel a compulsion to build anew, to create. However i am repeatedly beaten by "one-rod" devices and people who seem to put the most minimal amount of thought and creativity into their bots. So yeah, i agree with you.
yttria

Postby zhyrek on Thu May 06, 2010 5:26 pm

yttria wrote:i fully agree with you, Montego.... I have spent some serious time making a few fairly complex contraptions, covering both offense and defense, only to have the following competitor literally move the position of ONE rod and thusly "beat" me.

Most of the times i try my best to complete a completely *new* contraption, or at the very least modifying one of MY previous builds. Being an artist i feel a compulsion to build anew, to create. However i am repeatedly beaten by "one-rod" devices and people who seem to put the most minimal amount of thought and creativity into their bots. So yeah, i agree with you.

Sounds like the story of my existence in this thread :P My tank always gets beat in the stupidest of ways :argh:
zhyrek

Return to Multiplayer Events