OFFICIAL CONTEST RESULTS

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: ** UPDATED CONTEST RESULTS **

Postby sk89q on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:45 pm

NightBlood09 wrote:well i just got home and looked at these updated results and don't understand why i was dropped from the top ten??

weasel wrote:A lot of people claimed champ on displacement, when they didn't quite get it, so that adjusted a lot of scores down. Still others were caught entering incorrect tickcounts, and others were caught plain and simple cheating. If you believe you are one of these people and are wrongly accused, please email sales@fantasticcontraption.com. Do not post about it here.!
sk89q

Postby NightBlood09 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:53 pm

ya i noticed that so i emailed them but no response
NightBlood09

Postby WolfHealr on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:57 pm

sk89q wrote:
NightBlood09 wrote:well i just got home and looked at these updated results and don't understand why i was dropped from the top ten??

weasel wrote:A lot of people claimed champ on displacement, when they didn't quite get it, so that adjusted a lot of scores down. Still others were caught entering incorrect tickcounts, and others were caught plain and simple cheating. If you believe you are one of these people and are wrongly accused, please email sales@fantasticcontraption.com. Do not post about it here.!

Only thing I saw was possibly Stuck not being champ?
WolfHealr

Postby NightBlood09 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:02 pm

WolfHealr wrote:
Only thing I saw was possibly Stuck not being champ?

ya i guess that could be it but that would drop me to -13 uh oh well congratz to winners
NightBlood09

Postby GaminKWB on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Now that I have won ... I am going to Disneyland!!!

Actually I am there now. But seriously congrats to everyone that placed. It was a tough competition.
GaminKWB

Postby meteoro on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:29 pm

And the winner of the fantastic contest, is the, survirvor comp winner!!!!! GAMINKWB!!!!!!!!

WOOOO!!!!! OLE OLE OLE!!! GAMIN!!! GAMIN!!!

it must be great
meteoro

Postby Afronanny on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Weasel, you should alert some colleges to the potential of some of these people...
Afronanny
OUTRAGED!!!1

Location: Eating your pie. Don't bother to stop me, I'm finished now.

Postby NightBlood09 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:38 pm

how long is it suppose to take to reply from my email i sent a couple about 4 hours ago just wondering?
NightBlood09

Postby Heliwr on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:12 pm

NightBlood09 wrote:how long is it suppose to take to reply from my email i sent a couple about 4 hours ago just wondering?

I don't know if Inxile has any official guidelines, but 1-2 business days is pretty standard in the real world.

Cheers
Heliwr

Postby jdelgado06 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:45 pm

meteoro wrote:And the winner of the fantastic contest, is the, survirvor comp winner!!!!! GAMINKWB!!!!!!!!

it must be great

Actually Gamin got 2nd in Survivor. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about... he's really not that good. A lucky run in Fantastic Contest and he's some sort of FC God... please.

;)
jdelgado06

Postby aakay.net on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:51 pm

weasel wrote:
meteoro wrote:so akay guy was cheating...

Let's keep things chill and celebratory, not accusatory! Let's be happy for those that made it in and not talk about those that are no longer on the list for a variety of reasons (not necessarily cheating).

I sent an email regarding the contest.
---
I do not believe I did anything wrong. People think that I cheated because of the time I made an account. Since I noticed the contest, I decided to make an account and compete. I have ~10 pages of contraptions that i have not deleted and have deleted probably about 2-4 pages worth of contraptions. I am just wondering why i was disqualified?...
aakay.net

Postby Paleo8 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:06 pm

jdelgado06 wrote:
meteoro wrote:And the winner of the fantastic contest, is the, survirvor comp winner!!!!! GAMINKWB!!!!!!!!

it must be great

Actually Gamin got 2nd in Survivor. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about... he's really not that good. A lucky run in Fantastic Contest and he's some sort of FC God... please.

;)

He don't have an orange name either :mrgreen:

Really though GaminKWB Those were awesome scores.. I knew you had a :rodless: design for Gate Keeper, and :water: for BAC, I never could get a :water: solve to work for Displacement..
Congrats to you... and all the other FC Champs..
Heck JD you even won orange :dcircle: :toot:
Paleo8

Postby LTLFTC on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:18 pm

I know you don't want to publish a whole list because of privacy but could we get some idea of say, top 50 were less than -5 top 100 less than 2 etc etc cheers
Congrats to all the winners by the way. Even after seeing the designs I still can't do a rodless gate keeper
LTLFTC

Postby rhettd on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:22 pm

aakay.net wrote:
weasel wrote:
meteoro wrote:so akay guy was cheating...

Let's keep things chill and celebratory, not accusatory! Let's be happy for those that made it in and not talk about those that are no longer on the list for a variety of reasons (not necessarily cheating).

I sent an email regarding the contest.
---
I do not believe I did anything wrong. People think that I cheated because of the time I made an account. Since I noticed the contest, I decided to make an account and compete. I have ~10 pages of contraptions that i have not deleted and have deleted probably about 2-4 pages worth of contraptions. I am just wondering why i was disqualified?...

Because your gate keeper was pixel to pixel identical to gamins and your design id was a greater number than his, making yours newer than his. Making two completely identical designs using 6 pieces is 100% impossible, IMO. So I would say unless you have a work in progress level saved with an earlier design Id than gamin's, your probably screwed.
rhettd

Postby aakay.net on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:10 pm

I didn't submit that design...
aakay.net

Postby RichaOregon on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Any chance an "Unofficial top 100" (as in, unverified) list could be posted? It'd be nice to see how close (or far) from placing in the top 10 people were.

Thanks in advance. And thanks again for the great contest.

Rich
RichaOregon

Postby rhettd on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:25 pm

aakay.net wrote:I didn't submit that design...

Here are the posts from the first thread Weasel posted.

Here is Gamin's
GaminKWB wrote:Here is my final submission, for anyone interested:

Displacement
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6831208
Ticks: 198
Champ: Yes
Clean: No
Score: -10

Stuck
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6604622
Ticks: 65
Score: -6

Be A Champ
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6784383
Ticks: 216
Champ: No
Clean: Yes
Score: -4

Gate Keeper
http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=6864194
Ticks: 97
Score: -16

Canyon
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6688159
Ticks: 366
Champ: No
Score: +9

Final: -27
Ticks: 942

Here is yours
aakay.net wrote:I've got to say that the designs are actually quite similar, score-wise, that is.

Displacement [-10 in 184 ticks]
Stuck [-6 in 60 ticks]
Be a Champ [-4 in 216 ticks]
Gate Keeper [-16 in 97 ticks]
Canyon [+7 in 295 ticks]

FINAL SCORE: -29 with 852 ticks

If you didn't submit that one, which one did you?
rhettd

Postby Dr. Phil on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:35 pm

I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
Dr. Phil

Postby LTLFTC on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:41 am

Yes you did(high pitched girlie tone). Seriously any word on a top 100 or similar?
LTLFTC

Postby cooljenny on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:22 am

Had a great time with the competition. Never intended to submit until I was egged on by my kids. Didn't read the scoring rules in the beginning so I didn't realize until later that if you so much as think about a powered disc your score is through the roof. Anyway someone asked to see my first crack at gate keeper.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=6829945

Came up with this very quickly (before I read the scoring rules) and declared victory. It was only when I read the rules and couldn't get my ticks below 100 (that extra tick was costing me 1 point) that I scrapped and went to a brown stick solution using one of the orange balls on the side. I gained a few points but my ticks were 233 - I didn't tweak very much.

I do want to say that after looking at the ingenious designs I enjoy the four blue rod solutions for champ, the unpowered solutions for the second pit in canyon, and the rods-only solutions to stuck the most. I'm sorry but as far as the balls-only solutions to stuck - while I can only imagine how long it took to tweak those in - I just don't appreciate them as much. From a scoring standpoint it doesn't seem consistent that everything else being equal (ticks, etc.) a solution using 3 rods only gets the same score as one using 8 or 10 blue balls (or whatever makes that break even).

My suggestion for future scoring would be to make the hands-off badge more points and don't weigh the balls-only solution so much. Also, (I don't know how hard it would be to design and control something like this) but what about a contest where you get a certain amount of time per quest (an hour or two) and no more and then the amount of time you took less than that would earn you bonus points as well as simplicity, badges, and ticks.

As far as cheating. Cheaters will cheat at anything. I do want to say that when I first looked at garmin's displacement I thought I had opened one of my saved (and discarded efforts) for two blue rods. It looked identical - I just couldn't tweak it in - so it wasn't. I spent probably half of my total time of the competition on trying to tweak in my displacement and I didn't. If I had been a micron over one way or the other it might have worked and then it would have been identical. In that particular scenario, once you realize that the big ball will balance on a blue rod and try to win the level with a second blue rod you will tend to a very limited number of solutions.

Signing off until the next email inviting me to another contest.
cooljenny

PreviousNext

Return to The Dev Dish