A Haphazard Competition

Report bugs, registration issues, or just suggest some new features in this thread! Guaranteed to have at least 10% more dev attention than other threads!

Re: A Haphazard Competition

Postby holmstrom on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:06 am

Probably No Bridge - I can see a green champ being made but I just didn't have the patience... :/
holmstrom

Postby mnielsen on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:36 am

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:Green applies first and then Champion.

Just to make sure: This means, that you can't get for both right?
mnielsen

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:39 am

mnielsen wrote:

No. you get both and it gives you the lowest score possible.
First you either take 1/2 your score or -10, and then you take the -5 for the Champion
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:45 am

Out of curiosity, how are the levels? Too hard? Too easy? Too boring? It is hard to gauge it when you are the creator :P
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby weasel on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:47 am

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:Out of curiosity, how are the levels? Too hard? Too easy? Too boring? It is hard to gauge it when you are the creator :P

Yeah I kept making levels for the main game but I always made them stupidly hard. It's really hard to gauge.

From what I've played of these ones, I was never particularly 'challenged' to finish the level - however, they are interesting enough to not be boring, and they are a challenge to come up with the best solution to get the best score. So all in all... good job!

Check out some of the player-created levels by jwanders, they're fantastic yet simple.
weasel

Postby mnielsen on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:50 am

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:
mnielsen wrote:

No. you get both and it gives you the lowest score possible.
First you either take 1/2 your score or -10, and then you take the -5 for the Champion

Got it, thanks.

The levels are great for this sort of thing, imo (but pretty easy if the object was just to solve them normally).
mnielsen

Postby irishxpride on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:53 am

So far I've found all three pretty much spot on (barring the bug on top n bottom (my solution to which I was originally going to name with a very crude and tasteless joke :))).

None were impossible or trivial, and they require a nice range of methods :)

The only thing I'd like to see added was a level where the build area was small enough to contribute to the difficulty...

I tend to have the most trouble with those, and I enjoy finding ways to work within limited space :)

Very well done, sir!
irishxpride

Postby holmstrom on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:58 am

I agree with the others: The levels aren't too hard, but they're just right for this sort of game :) I liked the challenge and especially Top n' Bottom really had me thinking for a while!
holmstrom

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback :)

If I do this again (eventually) I will make the levels a bit harder/with more constrained building areas.
Good luck!

(Remember, a moderator and normal person's CUSTOM congratulations are up for grabs here!!! :lol: )
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby QB on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:04 pm

The 2nd level was pretty amazing if you had my solution in mind when you made it, and I think you did. I think at least two posters in this topic did the same thing. 8-)
QB

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:51 pm

QB wrote:The 2nd level was pretty amazing if you had my solution in mind when you made it, and I think you did. I think at least two posters in this topic did the same thing. 8-)

nope :P
My solution was incredibly inefficient. All I cared about was that it was possible to solve. :D

Anyhow, I will be gone for the next two days, but when I get back I will post the results!
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby QB on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Am I the only one having ridiculous trouble with #3? :x I think I might finally beat it soon, but it'll use more pieces than I wanted.

My solution to the first level was at least passable, and my 2nd is great, but Top 'n Bottom is likely going to keep me out of contention, barring some huge breakthrough.
QB

Postby TheBob10a on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:02 pm

I had some of trouble with it for a while. I got it to work, but it fattened up my score quite a bit.

My only advice is to keep switching up your design until one starts working.
I'm not very good at advice.
TheBob10a

Postby weasel on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:46 pm

TheBob10a wrote:My only advice is to keep switching up your design until one starts working.
I'm not very good at advice.

Yeah my biggest problem is I stubbornly stick to the same design idea, and stick with it and stick with it until it works. You really have to try different angles and approaches, and even trying absurd things you don't think will work.

edit: I've submitted my own solutions just to see how they stack up - I won't accept the coveted prize though. ;) I look forward to see everyone's solutions!
weasel

Postby QB on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Well, I did manage it now, but it's probably bad when one level accounts for 94% of my points. :roll:
QB

Postby mnielsen on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:34 am

How does pm's work on this site? When a pm is in your outbox, has it been sent yet? I've had a pm in my outbox for about a day now.
mnielsen

Postby MetallicDragon on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:30 pm

An outbox simply saves what messages you've sent in case you forget.
MetallicDragon

Postby QB on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:42 pm

I wonder if this is over. I don't know which time zone he meant when he said 6PM!

Also, I guess I miscalculated my score on one level because the rule given for grading a green solution seems a bit ambiguous. Hope he notices and fixes it. :)
QB

Postby weasel on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm not certain but I beleive messages in your "outbox" have not yet been read by other people. The "sent items" folder is where they move to once somebody has read them.

Also, I wasn't sure of the scoring on my submissions too (but I'm not competing anyway ;D )
weasel

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:06 pm

hello all.. sorry I am so late.. my plane landed later than I expected (I meant 6pm PST, by the way)
I will now start to work on compiling and scoring all the entries, and hopefully they will be up soon
OfficiallyHaphazard

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Problems