FC Battlefield (reset)

Discuss Multiplayer Challenges here!

Re: FC Battlefield

Postby zhyrek on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:59 am

i need a user wrote:im confused who do i face off agianst?

Mine
zhyrek

Postby joshuacool on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Please people stop creating loop holes. Besides I already said you can't cover up your ball... zhyrek. I'm trying to make this fair.
joshuacool

Postby zhyrek on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:06 pm

joshuacool wrote:Please people stop creating loop holes. Besides I already said you can't cover up your ball... zhyrek. I'm trying to make this fair.

Can't see it the rules :colbert:
zhyrek

Postby joshuacool on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:28 pm

zhyrek wrote:
joshuacool wrote:Please people stop creating loop holes. Besides I already said you can't cover up your ball... zhyrek. I'm trying to make this fair.

Can't see it the rules :colbert:

c'mon. Just play fair. You know what I mean.
joshuacool

Postby yttria on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:57 pm

well, i think if you're going to have rules (and it's your contest, so you're certainly entitiled to enforce whatever rules you want to) then you need to state them much more explicitly. So far Zhyrek, as irritating as some of his bots have been :) has not been really 'violating' any of the rules in my opinion.

For example, earlier on you had said you cant cover up your ball, but then someone made a contraption where a little cup-like thing went over the side to intentionally catch their own ball. Since this wasnt what your initial rule said (as technically, the ball wasnt being "COVERED" up, it seemed fair to me.) Since then due to zhyrek & other creating some rather creative (but sometimes frustrating) loopholes, now you state in the rules that you cant touch your own ball. Realize, just as before, people are going to take that very literally. Which is silly. My contraption cannot even TOUCH my own ball? So then i will be forced to make a bot that is always in forward motion, and even then if the opposing bot manages to overpowermine and push my own bot into my ball, i have thusly "Touched" it, and am instantly disqualified. Ridiculous, i know.

And im sure youre going to say im taking it too literally. But thats the point: if you dont make a rule-set that is rather explicit and specific, people will always find ways to seemingly "cheat" the ruleset simply because a certain something isnt mentioned in the rules.

So all im suggesting is a little more specificity in the rules. "Cant touch your own ball" is way to broad and vague, in my opinion.

Besides, even when someone does make an annoying and seemingly impossible bot (go see the "Give the Orb Brown" contest) eventually someone will find a way to defeat it. Its part of the challenge, if you ask me.

Just my thoughts...
yttria

Postby bunny.red2 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:04 pm

yttria wrote:well, i think if you're going to have rules (and it's your contest, so you're certainly entitiled to enforce whatever rules you want to) then you need to state them much more explicitly. So far Zhyrek, as irritating as some of his bots have been :) has not been really 'violating' any of the rules in my opinion.

For example, earlier on you had said you cant cover up your ball, but then someone made a contraption where a little cup-like thing went over the side to intentionally catch their own ball. Since this wasnt what your initial rule said (as technically, the ball wasnt being "COVERED" up, it seemed fair to me.) Since then due to zhyrek & other creating some rather creative (but sometimes frustrating) loopholes, now you state in the rules that you cant touch your own ball. Realize, just as before, people are going to take that very literally. Which is silly. My contraption cannot even TOUCH my own ball? So then i will be forced to make a bot that is always in forward motion, and even then if the opposing bot manages to overpowermine and push my own bot into my ball, i have thusly "Touched" it, and am instantly disqualified. Ridiculous, i know.

And im sure youre going to say im taking it too literally. But thats the point: if you dont make a rule-set that is rather explicit and specific, people will always find ways to seemingly "cheat" the ruleset simply because a certain something isnt mentioned in the rules.

So all im suggesting is a little more specificity in the rules. "Cant touch your own ball" is way to broad and vague, in my opinion.

Besides, even when someone does make an annoying and seemingly impossible bot (go see the "Give the Orb Brown" contest) eventually someone will find a way to defeat it. Its part of the challenge, if you ask me.

Just my thoughts...

Someone had a lot of time on their hands
bunny.red2

Postby joshuacool on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:29 pm

You guys know what I mean when I say you can't touch your ball or you can't cover it up.
So stop trying to make problems
joshuacool

Postby zhyrek on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:42 pm

yttria wrote: ...but then someone made a contraption where a little cup-like thing went over the side to intentionally catch their own ball.

That was me too! :D

I have a new idea for a loophole. I will use it when next convenient :P
zhyrek

Postby yttria on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:25 am

joshuacool wrote:You guys know what I mean when I say you can't touch your ball or you can't cover it up.
So stop trying to make problems

Actually, that's the problem right there... "You know what i mean..."

What makes you think that i know what you mean... Seriously, i promise im totally not trying to be an agitator here, and dont mean to come off all hubristic, but seriously... are you saying then we cant "trap" our own ball? Are you saying we cant "block" our ball? Are you saying we can make absolutely NO defensive element to our bot ? Honestly, im not trying to start problems.... im just trying to point out that if you want to make rules, you need to define them!

Right? Seems to make sense to me... Am i alone here?

Anyhow, im sure you'll find something wrong with this one. No Covering my ball up. No Loopholes. No blocking my ball, unless you consider the brown rods to technically be blocking since they are, after all, solid pieces preventing the opponent from getting to my ball.....

http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=10065391
yttria

Postby i need a user on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:33 am

i agree with you.edit the rules so no confusion
i need a user

Postby joshuacool on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Can peope delete threads. Cuz that would come in handy right now.
joshuacool

Postby bunny.red2 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:33 pm

yttria wrote:I like chicken nuggets.

Agreed
bunny.red2

Postby yttria on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:06 pm

lol.. i never said that :P
yttria

Postby zhyrek on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:52 pm