Monday Night Football Contraption Gambling, Updated!

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

Monday Night Football Contraption Gambling, Updated!

Postby jdelgado06 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:34 am

This is a thread to play a little gambling game in conjunction with compscure's Contraption Football competition

(see the original MNF gambling thread here)

You can join at any time during the rest of the contraption football season. When you join, you will be given 100 :cwheel: 's to bet with. You can bet on any number of matchups every week, with a minimum of 10 :cwheel: 's per bet (and a maximum of the total number of :cwheel: 's in your account).

Every week, everyone will be given an additional 50 :cwheel: bonus! That way, if you lose all your :cwheel: one week, don't worry, you can still make a comeback because there will be 50 :cwheel: 's in your account to bet with the next week. NOTE - To receive the 50 :cwheel: bonus, you MUST be active the week before. That is, if you don't make any bets in week 4, you won't get 50 :cwheel: in week 5... you must at least make a minimum 10 :cwheel: bet to get the next bonus.

If you are new to how compscure's football games work, what happens is that two people are paired up to play against each other. They play 3 different mini games against each other trying to earn points in different ways, and in the end, the one with the most points is the winner. You are here to bet on who the winner will be. There will be no point spreads (keeping it simple, at least for now), but there will be odds. Odds are determined only on past football results, i.e. a competitors W/L record.

Odds Example:
You will see something like this -

Compscure (-110) vs Jdelgado06 (+110)

the +110 by Jdelgado06 means that Jdelgado06 is the underdog and compscure is the favorite. If you bet 100 :cwheel: 's on jdel to win, and jdel does win, then you win 110 :cwheel: 's! On the other hand, you would have to bet 110 :cwheel: 's on compscure to win 100 :cwheel: 's if compscure ends up winning. And if you lose, well, you lose whatever you bet.

I'm the bookie, so I'll be making up the odds as we go as I see fit. I'll try to use results from the original MNF, past scores, and general public opinion to pick the favorites. I'll also keep a running tally of everyone's account and their betting record on this post.

For people that aren't familiar with odds and betting, keep reading:

jdelgado06 wrote:This is for people who aren't familiar with odds and betting.

here is a link to a calculator that will show you how many :cwheel: you will win for a certain bet that you make

http://www.nflfreepicks.com/free-parlay-calculator.html

Instructions:
In the top left text field (row #1, column: LINES), enter the odds (i.e. -120, or +120).
In the bottom text field where it says BET, enter the number of :cwheel: 's you are betting (i.e. 10, 50, 100).
Ignore all the other text fields (rows 2 through 6, and all the FACTOR ones).
Click "Calculate"
The number of :cwheel: 's you would win if you bet correctly is shown in the WINNINGS text field.

Note - We are ignoring the rows 2 through 6 because this is actually a "Parlay" calculator. Parlay's allow you to bet on multiple games at once, but to win you have to win ALL of the games (a single loss and you lose the whole bet), but the payout is much higher. We aren't doing parlays here. At least not yet.

Example

A lot of you are betting on favorites, with -120 odds. So, enter -120 in the top left text field. If you want to bet all 100 of your :cwheel: 's on it, enter 100 in the BET text field. Click "calculate" you will see that you are betting 100 :cwheel: 's in an attempt to win an additional 83.33 :cwheel: 's. If you lose your bet, you will have 0 :cwheel: 's. If you win your bet, you will have 183.33 :cwheel: 's.

You may ask:
Wait a second! I only win 83.33 :cwheel: 's when I have to risk all 100 of my own?!? what the heck, jdel!
and I will say: This is because you are betting on a FAVORITE. Based on win/loss records, I (the bookie) am saying that they have a better chance to win than the UNDERDOG, so i'm only willing to give you 83.33 :cwheel: 's when you risk 100 :cwheel: 's.

You may then say: Oh, alright... I guess... Does it work for me the other way around? What if I bet on the underdog? Do I win more?
And I will say: Absolutely. Lets take a look at another example.

Example2
Betting on an underdog at +120. Enter +120 in the top left field, enter 100 in the BET field, click calculate. Whoa! You would win 120 :cwheel: 's! So if you lose the bet, you would have 0, but if you win the bet, you would have 220!

One more complicated example
You start with 100.
Say you bet 50 on an underdog at +120, and 50 on a favorite in a different game at -120.
Try using the calculator to figure out your winnings on your own, but here are the answers so you can double check:
If you win both games: 201.66 :cwheel: 's
If you win the underdog bet but lose the favorite bet: 110 :cwheel: 's
If you win the favorite bet but lose the underdog bet: 91.66 :cwheel: 's
If you lose both: 0 :cwheel: 's

Hope this helps!

Rules:
- You -are- allowed to be on yourself, but you -are not- allowed to bet on your opponent
- You can post your bets on this thread if you want, but make sure you also PM THEM TO ME. Only bets PMed to me will be counted
- You can change/cancel your bet(s) up until the results are posted. I'll try to keep all bets that have been made up to date on the 2nd post in this thread
- At the end of the playoffs, the one with the most :cwheel: 's wins!
- You can join at any time, and you get to start with 100 :cwheel: 's. Each week, as long as you made at least one bet during the week, you will get a 50 :cwheel: bonus the next week! So if you lose all your :cwheel: , don't worry, you can make a comeback! Don't forget to make at least one bet each week if you want the bonus though.
- If a game you bet on ends in a tie, the bet will be ruled as a push... that is, you get your :cwheel: 's back, but don't win or lose anything.
- If a competitor does not submit their designs to compscure in a game you bet on, the bet will be ruled as a push... that is, you get your :cwheel: 's back, but don't win or lose anything.

I'm going to restate one of the above rules again right here, right now, really big, for emphasis!
- You can post your bets on this thread if you want, but make sure you also PM THEM TO ME. Only bets PMed to me will be counted

Let's get ready to gamble! Just place a bet by PM before the next deadline in compscure's comp to enter!

Current Bettor Standings
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Paleo8 - 302 :cwheel:
cool-j - 50 :cwheel:
Jhawk4 - 50 :cwheel:
HarleyDan - 50 :cwheel:

Championship Odds:
jdel (-100) vs sparkleflower (-100)

Round 2 Schedule & Odds:

Crusier (-110) vs sparkleflower (+110)
jdel (-110) vs Paleo (+110)

Round 2 Bets:
Paleo bets 120.9 on Paleo (+110)
Paleo bets 120 on sparkleflower (+110)

Round 1 Schedule & Odds:
HarleyDan (-100) vs cooljenny (-100)
sparkleflower (-110) vs HarleyDan/cooljenny rematch winner (+110)
jdel (-110) vs JHawk (+110)
patacoman (-110) vs Cruiser (+110)
Paleo (-110) vs bsking (+110)

Round 1 Bets:
Jhawk4 bets 150 on bsking (+110)
cool-j bets 240.9 on HarleyDan/cool-j Rematch Winner (+110)
HarleyDan bets 50 on HarleyDan (-100)
HarleyDan bets 50 on HarleyDan/cool-j Rematch Winner (+110)
Paleo bets 50 on jdel (-110)
Paleo bets 50 on sparkleflower (-110)

Wildcard Week Schedule & Odds:

JHawk (-100) vs cooljenny (-100) (EVEN odds)
bsking (-100) vs Bisam (-100) (EVEN odds)
Cruiser (-110) vs mtdewd (+110) (Cruiser slight favorite)
HarleyDan (-100) vs Irceus (-100) (EVEN odds)

Wildcard Week Bets:
Jhawk4 bets 100 on Jhawk4
cool-j bets 100 on Cruiser

RESULTS:

Week 2 Results:
Paleo bets 120.9 on Paleo (+110) - LOSS
Paleo bets 120 on sparkleflower (+110) - WIN
Paleo gets 50 :cwheel: weekly bonus

Week 1 Results:
Jhawk4 bets 150 on bsking (+110) - LOSS
cool-j bets 240.9 on HarleyDan/cool-j Rematch Winner (+110) - LOSS
HarleyDan bets 50 on HarleyDan (-100)[/i] - LOSS
HarleyDan bets 50 on HarleyDan/cool-j Rematch Winner (+110) - LOSS
Paleo bets 50 on jdel (-110) - WIN
Paleo bets 50 on sparkleflower (-110) - WIN
Everyone gets 50 :cwheel: weekly bonus

Wildcard Week Results:
Jhawk4 bets 100 :cwheel: on Jhawk4 (-100) - PUSH (The game didn't happen)
cool-j bets 100 :cwheel: on Cruiser (-110) - WINS 90.9
Jhawk4 and cool-j receive 50 :cwheel: weekly bonus
jdelgado06

Re: Monday Night Football Contraption Gambling is BACK!

Postby jdelgado06 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:35 am

updated.

Only two gamblers, heh :) Anyone else can feel free to join in on R1. Odds will be posted as soon as jompy posts the matchups.
jdelgado06

Postby JHawk4 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Meh.

Should have kept my bet on bsking.
JHawk4

Postby jennysdad on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:41 am

Round 1 odds???
jennysdad

Postby jdelgado06 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 am

Wow, thanks for the reminder... Here I was, wondering why no one made any bets yet... Posted.
jdelgado06

Postby Paleo8 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:37 am

I missed this start up of this somehow... I'll get my bets in before the games this week
Paleo8

Postby jdelgado06 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:29 am

you can still get your bets in before the games are posted!
jdelgado06

Postby Paleo8 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Jhawk is going back to 0 ;)............... I hope
Paleo8

Re: Monday Night Football Contraption Gambling, Updated!

Postby jdelgado06 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:21 am

updated. get your Championship bets in!
jdelgado06

Re: Monday Night Football Contraption Gambling, Updated!

Postby Paleo8 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 am

I win with no bets placed by me this round ;)
Paleo8

Return to Challenges and Games