Ken75's levels

Come talk about the game, your Contraptions, and your solutions!

Ken75's levels

Postby ken75 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:56 pm

So, I was told by Schmittd that my levels are good, but that confuses me because not many people actually solve them. I don't know why, but pretty much the main reason why I play this game is to see others do my levels, not as much to solve them myself. The ones that do get designs are the easy ones, but that's not as good to watch. I wonder often if it's because of the difficulty, but I've seen what some of you are capable of so I always rule that out since I know for fact that they are definitely possible.
For example, I'd love it if someone else would solve my level "Ribbon". It's the biggest challenge I've made, but I myself even managed to do it twice, testing and an actual post.

So, I just want to ask; why don't I get many designs on my levels, and I mean... why are they not rated higher in general? I think some of them are actually pretty great! I hope I'm not delusional. Thanks.
ken75

Re: Ken75's levels

Postby Double.S on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Those are some nice levels. Don't worry about the rating of your levels either, recently a lot of the levels that are on the front page or get rated high aren't very good in my opinion.

You could also try posting a list of levels on here so people don't have to go searching through the game for them.
Double.S

Postby ken75 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Thank you very much! Why don't I just leave the link to my profile and from there the levels are just one click away hmm? Here it is:

http://fantasticcontraption.com/user?userId=798090
ken75

Postby jdccdj1 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:30 am

ken75 wrote:So, I was told by Schmittd that my levels are good, but that confuses me because not many people actually solve them.

hey ken-

if you take a look at sparkleflower's levels, you'll notice the same thing: about 90% of his levels are only solved by him...now, from
my experience, the harder the level is, the more time is needed for the solve to be found...alot of solvers on the main game page
would rather solve many 1-3 star levels than invest the time or creative energy in 4-5 star levels...also, as the level difficulty increases,
the designs start to look simiar in nature (rlbabits has touched upon this theory on the last page of shmittd's recent brown comp)...and
what i mean by this is if someone solved a hard level brown and there was really only one way to grab the GP, fling it, raise it and dump
it into the goal, then all subsequent brown solves would look similar...there would not be much room for creative flourishes and i would
probably pass on the level..anyway, my advice to you is if you want a lot of solves for your levels, don't make the levels too hard for the
general masses and get your butt overto the forum more often and try your hand at some of the shuffles and comps...hope this helps :)

-foss
Last edited by jdccdj1 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdccdj1

Postby ken75 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:42 am

Thanks Jdccdj1, it does yes. But the thing is that some of them are really not thaat hard, especially my newest two. (And I'm really proud of these two) Also yes I have noticed that, so one of the main things I've tried to do recently when finishing a level is make sure that I couldn't really see an obvious design to do it.

But I also find that other levels even posted at the same and around the same difficulties get more solves, which is really the thing that perplexes me.

By the way, you're awesome! Just saying.
ken75

Postby jdccdj1 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:54 am

well thanks, but i am just learning from the guys who came before and trying to put my own personal
flourishes on my own designs...anyway, try to hang at the forums more often...it will definitely make
you a better contraptioneer..it did for me :)
jdccdj1

Postby rianbay812 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:16 am

jdccdj1 wrote:well thanks, but i am just learning from the guys who came before and trying to put my own personal
flourishes on my own designs...anyway, try to hang at the forums more often...it will definitely make
you a better contraptioneer..it did for me :)

yes, yes it did. Being one of only 5 guys to solve r4 was pretty impressive for a newb.
you remind me of Jyo in your solves...
rianbay812

Postby schmittd on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:47 am

seriously ken, just stick around the forums. thats what i (and most of us here) do. the player levels on the main page have gotten pretty out of hand in my opinion and the majority of them are pretty bad, i hope that doesnt make me sound arrogant. but your levels are nice, ill try my hand at a few of them when i get the oppurtunity and when i feel it necessary, ill rate them 5 stars
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby rlbabits on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:04 pm

ken75 wrote: I don't know why, but pretty much the main reason why I play this game is to see others do my levels, not as much to solve them myself.

Dude! We need more people like you! Nobody really makes levels anymore, people only solve them..for the most part the only active topics right now are shuffles and competitions.

*edit*
well i will draw first blood on your levels sir!

Solve for Ribbon: http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11772375 fun level :) (i published it my paid account name is the max if your wondering) silly nextfart trying to call you out thinking its impossible..

pretty meh solve for a cool level can be done way cooler than that im sure..longway under would be cool to see too if anybody wants to collab on it haha.

will work on more when i get some time
rlbabits

Postby Wafflekins on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:40 am

I really liked the level that was named after my Displacement longway design :3 I forget how I came up with "ThisIsHowItEnds" but it makes it sound a lot more ipecac than it really is haha

[edit] ThisIsHowItEnds done http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11772480 :)
Wafflekins

Location: An assembly of sticks and sometimes wheels can at once exemplify scientific beauty and fun.

Postby Jyo on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Wafflekins wrote:I really liked the level that was named after my Displacement longway design :3 I forget how I came up with "ThisIsHowItEnds" but it makes it sound a lot more ipecac than it really is haha

[edit] ThisIsHowItEnds done http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11772480 :)

someone tell me that was not awesome.

that was awesome.
Jyo

Postby Double.S on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:19 am

Wafflekins wrote:I really liked the level that was named after my Displacement longway design :3 I forget how I came up with "ThisIsHowItEnds" but it makes it sound a lot more ipecac than it really is haha

Very nice!
Double.S

Postby rianbay812 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:35 am

rianbay812

Postby rlbabits on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:10 am

hey hey nice avatar rianbay! how very creative and pleasing to the eye XD

but i really liked that first part...tweaked to solve for ya

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11772872
rlbabits

Postby uuuiiiooop on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:35 pm

uuuiiiooop

Location: More than five hundred thousand levels. Over eleven million designs.

Postby ken75 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:10 am

Hey thank you guys so much, wow those are some awesome solves! I can see why the forums are a lot better... So, here's a level I'd really like to see beat. It's possible with only water (I use the term possible very heavily...)

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?levelId=603789

And my solution :woodrod:

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11771626

It's not too insane of a challenge (especially since even I was able to do it) But the middle way and water could be

Oh and Wafflekins yeah that longway was wild! I salute you! Sorry I took your name, it just has a certain ring of "This is legendary" to it! But you know what's funny? There's a song on Guitar Hero 3 called "The Way It Ends" and when I saw the name of your longway, for some reason I thought that you actually named it after that song (I temporarily forgot the exact name of it) So I didn't feel as bad for taking it. I'm guessing now that that is not how you arrived at the name...
Last edited by ken75 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken75

Postby Pawel.Anikiel on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 am

Pawel.Anikiel

Postby ken75 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:01 am

Pawel.Anikiel wrote:http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11773357 :waterrod: what was that level called?

It's called internal, nice one!
ken75

Postby Pawel.Anikiel on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:14 am

yesterday i was working on a coool longway on Excalibur, but now i'm going to be it the mountains w/h no internet connection :(
would be cool if anybody would finish it
Pawel.Anikiel

Postby uuuiiiooop on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Solve to 'Down the Straw'
http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11774932
That was a pretty awesome level, good job
uuuiiiooop

Location: More than five hundred thousand levels. Over eleven million designs.

Return to Levels and Game Chat