FC Veteran Club

Come talk about the game, your Contraptions, and your solutions!

Re: FC Veteran Club

Postby devonmartino on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:28 pm

I think that I should be a member of the FC Veteran club. I am a disenfranchised Contraptioneer who believes that all the gimmicks of FC2 make it worse than FC1, and I'm insulted that I would have to pay $10 extra for FC2 when I already handed over (i forget how much) for FC1. Not that buying FC wasn't worth it. Oh, it was more than worth it.
Here's a nice blue champ contraption for you. Enjoy!
http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11638942
Here's a good level, too. There's only been one person to solve it (Brown Champ!!!!!!!!1!) so far:
http://fantasticcontraption.com/?levelId=594083
devonmartino

Postby TberrysonForum on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Sign me up. FC2 is horrible. But i do believe you've long left dark eagle... as has everyone else and i've joined the game as its died...
TberrysonForum

Postby devonmartino on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:29 pm

I kinda agree...but don't worry, Tberryson, the game hasn't died quite yet. Users like sparkleflower, Rooney314, nextfart, and (not to toot my own horn here, but...) myself are giving FC1 its "last hurrah"...that is, is the game really is on its last leg.
devonmartino

Postby tweet400 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:05 am

Me! You know, Its worse cuz they tryed to make it better.

FC1 is a :champ:

Sincerely,tweet400
tweet400

Postby tweet400 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Wafflekins wrote:FC2 sucks.

I understand all the hard work they put into making things new and better but whatever. They can take away ads. They can add new features. They can make new forums. But FC2 will never, NEVER, be as good or even anywhere near how good the original FC was. And my opinion shall remain this until forever.

I feel the same way, In Heaven i will still feel the same way.
tweet400

Postby Error-QM on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:27 am

I've wanted to join this club forever but couldn't while I was still banned, and totally forgot this thread existed. Dark, if you're still accepting new members...count me in.

-{???}
Error-QM

Postby schmittd on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 am

id also like to join
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby marcxb on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:36 am

Haha! FUnny forum!

I'm kinda new here on FC1, and I only think it's a matter of wich game you start playing first. I've been playing FC2 for a while now, I when I bought the FC1 version, I had some hard adaptation.

Although, I don't think one is better than the other. But FC1 players probably don't like FC2..because...it's harder :xd:

Joking of course!!!

FC2 made some major change and repair, I love most of them, but they should have kept these :drect: that hit only balls, and the link's elasticity too...all the rest is just better! I mean usable pieces went up to 150, the badges systeme is better, the level editor is better too, the magnet inovation is O.K., and the best of all...that %!?%&* black hole glitche has been repaired!
marcxb

Postby Error-QM on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:51 am

Personally, I would have to say one of the biggest reasons I prefer FC orders of magnitude over FC2 is its simplicity. Moving and rotating platforms, magnets, etc., really make FC2...well, something else. It's not an improvement or an attempt to do so, but bordering on a different game.

FC is simple. Wheels that perpetually turn CW. Wheels that perpetually turn CCW. Wheels that just roll according to physics. Sticks that hit pieces. Sticks that don't hit pieces.

Then the environment. Green land blocks that don't move. Orange and yellow blocks that do move. Take those things and build a fantastic contraption to get a pink object into a pink goal area, but you can't build outside the blue area.

It was that simple. Now how about the limitations? What do people lament about, to this day, on a regular basis here in the forums?
The piece limit, for starters. We get 120 pieces, including the goal piece, to complete the level. That's a pretty decent limit for anything F2P. Supposedly set high enough so that players usually wouldn't have to worry about it too often. Well, those days are long gone. The MAG shuffle has become a level nightmare for many "veteran" players (me too, if Darkeagle updates this), and we regularly bump the 120-piece ceiling.
The black hole glitch, for another. So we have 120 pieces "only." So what? Well, not exactly, if you like normal solves (the venerable Thik_Tip and lord_hamybal, to name a couple, do not seem so stingy). Anywhere from 55 to 90 overlapping rods - maybe less, if the level has lots of overlapping to begin with - triggers this most annoying glitch where (1) all joints break, (2) the boundary of the build area becomes solid and impenetrable, making victory impossible for almost all levels, (3) the now-disconnected pieces collapse frustratingly within this box and (4) anything movable outside the build area gravitates toward it. It's typically fixable by re-running the design or, in even worse cases, placing a useless water rod and adjusting it.
And who could forget the horrible joint weakness problems? I can just picture skitters adjusting his godly extender, The Giant, or Remy his elegant Hamybridge, and then slamming the table in frustration when FC arthritis causes the arm to collapse or a bridge segment to swing the wrong way. Things are stretchy in this game so that they aren't alternatively brittle. Stretchy things break when stretched too far - take rubber bands, for instance. Or an understanding, liberal relationship.
So besides it's simple ansatz, FC is ridden with problems. FC2 fixes lots of these. We get thirty extra toys to play with, no risk of losing them into a black hole along with the goal piece for good measure, and joints are, as Ollivander would say, "reasonably pliant." Why am I not hailing the arrival of FC2?

Well, it's...because...it's easier. FC2 solves problems which we FCers are used to working around. I know I personally have spent many an hour on designs right on the black hole limit, trying to fix it so that my design doesn't look awkward and almost impossible for a newcomer to run properly. Every skillful player here has had the segfault-like experience of building a contraption and running out of pieces two or three steps before that bloody Victory! cloud. And, come on, we've all - newcomers and elites alike - broken a chain here and there.

So FC players refine their designs. It takes skill to do this. If you're so close to the finish but have no pieces left, your design should probably drop five pounds so you can use those pieces to finish it off. If there's a black hole and you take issue with that, readjust pieces so there are fewer overlapping support structures and (perhaps) lighter neutronia. If a joint breaks, swap it out for wood or make the rods in question longer (or consider adjusting the angle between them).

TL;DR: I hate you.

No, just kidding.
FC has both simplicity in its purpose, and implicit challenges in overcoming the various limitations / glitches. A 120-piece design that doesn't black hole, of which there are many, might summarize the long hours some dedicated player put in to surmount all three of those obstacles. Such a design deserves admiration; such an author, praise thereof.

-{???}
Error-QM

Postby jdccdj1 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:20 am

AMEN, brother!!
jdccdj1

Postby marcxb on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Wow Error-QM!

I need to say that I read 2 or 3 times your text to understand it all! Hope my reply didn't make you angry on me...

I fully understand what you mean, or at least I trying too!

I might need to apologize for my last comment, didn't meat to sound rude or...superior. As I said, for me, both games are differents and awesome. I was just trying to procate a bit of a reaction, not offend anyone.

The truth is that FC1 players ( in general) looks a lot better than FC2 players. My goal is to master each of the version. Not to become the best, just to be in the top players list! (only that...) I having a lot to learn from you guys, hope I didn't put anyone on my back... I'm slowy getting use to this game!

Also, english is not my mother language, so excuse my mistake or my being misunderstood...

BTW what mean TL;DR...
marcxb

Postby Error-QM on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:53 am

Hey marc, you can call me {???} :) It's the name of my old account which got banned, this is just an alternate so I can post.

For the most part I was just trying to rant about why I love FC as opposed to FC2. Your comment did provoke a response, which was exactly my intention. No offense was taken, no rudeness or superiority conveyed, and no apology needed - just one FCer replying to another :).

Good luck, and remember practice is key. I'm working on an Expert Brown Guide (for those of you who remember, it's along the same lines as ~Jon~'s Advanced Brown Guide) and when it's ready you might want to take a look at it.

And TL;DR means "too long; didn't read." I usually make huge posts, so TL;DR signals I'm going to summarize it.
People who see the TL;DR usually skip the rest of the post - which took an hour to write - so I jokingly said "I hate you" because I really want them to read the whole thing.

-{???}

By the way, it's positively awesome that this thread was made on my birthday. Winsauce!
Error-QM

Postby Light-quick on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Error-QM wrote:Personally, I would have to say one of the biggest reasons I prefer FC orders of magnitude over FC2 is its simplicity. Moving and rotating platforms, magnets, etc., really make FC2...well, something else. It's not an improvement or an attempt to do so, but bordering on a different game.

FC is simple. Wheels that perpetually turn CW. Wheels that perpetually turn CCW. Wheels that just roll according to physics. Sticks that hit pieces. Sticks that don't hit pieces.

Then the environment. Green land blocks that don't move. Orange and yellow blocks that do move. Take those things and build a fantastic contraption to get a pink object into a pink goal area, but you can't build outside the blue area.

It was that simple. Now how about the limitations? What do people lament about, to this day, on a regular basis here in the forums?
The piece limit, for starters. We get 120 pieces, including the goal piece, to complete the level. That's a pretty decent limit for anything F2P. Supposedly set high enough so that players usually wouldn't have to worry about it too often. Well, those days are long gone. The MAG shuffle has become a level nightmare for many "veteran" players (me too, if Darkeagle updates this), and we regularly bump the 120-piece ceiling.
The black hole glitch, for another. So we have 120 pieces "only." So what? Well, not exactly, if you like normal solves (the venerable Thik_Tip and lord_hamybal, to name a couple, do not seem so stingy). Anywhere from 55 to 90 overlapping rods - maybe less, if the level has lots of overlapping to begin with - triggers this most annoying glitch where (1) all joints break, (2) the boundary of the build area becomes solid and impenetrable, making victory impossible for almost all levels, (3) the now-disconnected pieces collapse frustratingly within this box and (4) anything movable outside the build area gravitates toward it. It's typically fixable by re-running the design or, in even worse cases, placing a useless water rod and adjusting it.
And who could forget the horrible joint weakness problems? I can just picture skitters adjusting his godly extender, The Giant, or Remy his elegant Hamybridge, and then slamming the table in frustration when FC arthritis causes the arm to collapse or a bridge segment to swing the wrong way. Things are stretchy in this game so that they aren't alternatively brittle. Stretchy things break when stretched too far - take rubber bands, for instance. Or an understanding, liberal relationship.
So besides it's simple ansatz, FC is ridden with problems. FC2 fixes lots of these. We get thirty extra toys to play with, no risk of losing them into a black hole along with the goal piece for good measure, and joints are, as Ollivander would say, "reasonably pliant." Why am I not hailing the arrival of FC2?

Well, it's...because...it's easier. FC2 solves problems which we FCers are used to working around. I know I personally have spent many an hour on designs right on the black hole limit, trying to fix it so that my design doesn't look awkward and almost impossible for a newcomer to run properly. Every skillful player here has had the segfault-like experience of building a contraption and running out of pieces two or three steps before that bloody Victory! cloud. And, come on, we've all - newcomers and elites alike - broken a chain here and there.

So FC players refine their designs. It takes skill to do this. If you're so close to the finish but have no pieces left, your design should probably drop five pounds so you can use those pieces to finish it off. If there's a black hole and you take issue with that, readjust pieces so there are fewer overlapping support structures and (perhaps) lighter neutronia. If a joint breaks, swap it out for wood or make the rods in question longer (or consider adjusting the angle between them).

TL;DR: I hate you.

No, just kidding.
FC has both simplicity in its purpose, and implicit challenges in overcoming the various limitations / glitches. A 120-piece design that doesn't black hole, of which there are many, might summarize the long hours some dedicated player put in to surmount all three of those obstacles. Such a design deserves admiration; such an author, praise thereof.

-{???}

Honestly, I agree. I am a FC2 player and I have recently taken in interest in FC. After making a few designs of my own, it was already much more difficult. And for me, it's not the lack of a sufficient amount of pieces to solve a level (yet), nor the slight differentiation of physics. It's rather something that you did not mention in your post: the undo button and the arrow key adjustments. I am SO used to having the ability to undo something whenever I accidentally make a mistake along with the ability to make extremely fine adjustments with the arrow keys.

Having said that, I will most likely sign up for the full version of FC and will join competitions with the pros. :D
Light-quick

Location: A place where ingenuity inspires, imagination illuminates, and innovation ignites.

Postby lord_hamybal on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:34 pm

marcxb wrote:Wow Error-QM!

My goal is to master each of the version. Not to become the best, just to be in the top players list!

if you mastered fc1 its not hard to go on fc2. my biggest extender after all is made on fc2 :)

Light-quick wrote:Having said that, I will most likely sign up for the full version of FC and will join competitions with the pros. :D

I took some time and went to FC2 and took a look at your channel:)
you should make some solves here !

The more people the more joy( i don't how to translate this well from dutch.)
lord_hamybal

Postby camaro 09 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:56 pm

lord_hamybal wrote:
marcxb wrote:Wow Error-QM!

My goal is to master each of the version. Not to become the best, just to be in the top players list!

if you mastered fc1 its not hard to go on fc2. my biggest extender after all is made on fc2 :)

Light-quick wrote:Having said that, I will most likely sign up for the full version of FC and will join competitions with the pros. :D

I took some time and went to FC2 and took a look at your channel:)
you should make some solves here !

The more people the more joy( i don't how to translate this well from dutch.)

The more, the merrier!
camaro 09

Postby schmittd on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:05 pm

camaro 09 wrote:The more, the merrier!

i managed to rope in marcxb from FC2, your presence here would also be awesome lightquick!
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby marcxb on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:20 am

I agree Lightquick! I'm sure you'd be and awesome player here too!

And an other thing that make it harder on FC1, is that we can only delete 1 piece at the time. Maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't find any selection tool, and when I select an ''assembly'' of lines, I can't delete it all at once! So If I have 2 or more contraptions over lapping each other, and I want to change 1 of them, I need to delete it 1 piece at the time! Sometimes it gets confusing...I delete a piece of the wrong assembly...and, no undo move haha!
marcxb

Postby Light-quick on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Wow, thanks everyone! I kinda joined the party a little late, are you guys sure that I'm cool enough for Fantastic Contraption? Nah haha, I look forward to making some contraptions here, I actually was just messin around on the campaign and made this little one :) I'm only 15, so I'll have to ask my parents if I can use their credit card for the :10bux: (you gotta take every chance you can get to use that icon)
Light-quick

Location: A place where ingenuity inspires, imagination illuminates, and innovation ignites.

Postby lord_hamybal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:11 am

haha this story brings back memories. 4 years ago when I started playing FC at the age of 15.
i began to play every free level longway. and became addicted without the forum. then i asked my parents if they wanted to pay for it once.

since that day, I do think i made a good choice!
lord_hamybal

Postby Pawel.Anikiel on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:39 am

My dad said "Solve every level and i will buy the full version for you"
The last level i solved was the tube :D
Pawel.Anikiel

PreviousNext

Return to Levels and Game Chat