The Co-op Comp

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

The Co-op Comp

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:25 pm

The Co-op Comp
Alright, let's explain how this works.
First, you must select a partner, and choose who is the designer and who is the builder.
The builder PMs me stating the two partners and which is which, and must be done ahead of time, so do it as soon as you decide who's which.

There will be two levels. One goes for simplist and the other goes for fastest. Clearly state which one you are doing in the PM. You may NOT do both. Choose, they both get the same prize.

How you solve the levels, it goes like this : The designer tells the builder what to build and the builder may only build what the designer tells him/her to build. Be honest. Talk to each other by using a messenger, and if you can't use PMing back and forth. When the partners are ready to submit, the builder must submit the work, and it must solve. The designer also has to submit, but this is not your final. The builder's submission is. The designer's submission is just a referece to make sure you didn't cheat. The designer's one also doesn't have to actually be tweaked to solve. You may only submit once, so be happy with your submission. A tie will force in a tiebreaker, which means another level for just the tied ones. If they tie again then in the tied designs I will be looking at quality and epicosity.
Examples of cheating:
-telling the other person "make a working contraption"(directions not specific enough)
-giving the other person the solve(giving)
-glitching the level to make it easier, or editing the level for a self solve(hacking)

PM me if you have any questions, or if there is a flaw in the level. If I fix something in a level, it makes it easier so I'd reccomend restarting on the new one to get a good chance.

Soloists can be in the comp, but as the co-op in the name suggests, they cannot legitimately win.
It's the other way around for a trio :builder, designer and messenger. The messenger is a relay and relays the messages. If a trio is second and a duet is first they're considered tied.

Deadline for submissions is Friday December 7, 2012, at 8:00 PM(it's always 8:00 PM with me)

Alright, let's get to the levels!
Simplist: A Wall In The Way
Fastest: Parralel
Last edited by ScienceGuy2012 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScienceGuy2012

Re: The Co-op Comp

Postby zhyrek on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm

This seems overly complicated.

1: What if the designer makes two designs, submits one as his own, and then hands the other one off as the builders solve?
2: How would you figure out if two people collaborate on a single design? (According to your rules, from what I gather, this isn't allowed)
3: What if two people (for example, me and rl) use alt accounts to do the second level also? I'm sure we aren't the only ones with alts...
4. What's to stop the builder from just solving the level however he wants, in the case that the designer isn't good enough at explaining?
zhyrek

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

I just have to trust you guys to be honest.

Anyways, I can take the designer's one as a reference.
Too similar and they cheated by giving.
Too different and the builder didn't listen to the designer.
So I can judge by the similarities. I'm not stupid.
And if you want to help me with judging the submissions you can, zhyrek. Just ask and you'll get the job. After all, you're more familiar with these ways of cheating. Couldn't you monitor progress or something?
ScienceGuy2012

Postby platypus11 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:42 pm

This type of comp doesn't lend itself very well to someone who doesn't read directions.
platypus11

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 pm

It's a pure challenge.
ScienceGuy2012

Postby zhyrek on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 am

ScienceGuy2012 wrote:Anyways, I can take the designer's one as a reference.

Here's the issue: if you can tell if designs are too similar/different, so can the people playing it, and can adjust the designs they send you accordingly.
zhyrek

Postby marcxb on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:04 am

It's good to innovate in competitionnig, but you shouldn't make such complicate competition.

Plus, I don't know but...deadline being the 30th of this month don't let people such time to understand everything, team up, communicate, choose who's doing what, designing, bulding and tweaking.

I'm not saying that I hate this idea, but I think it's not ready to being so soon. Try to bring more people, and before starting, I would suggest everyone to do just as Zhyrek is doing and find everything that might trun wrong before it happens, and find a solution to it!
marcxb

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:25 pm

zhyrek wrote:

Here's the issue: if you can tell if designs are too similar/different, so can the people playing it, and can adjust the designs they send you accordingly.

Trust me, if they just edit it, I can still tell it's the same design.
I look for specific similarities and differences.
I shall catch your cheats.

Oh, and I'll move ahead the deadline 1 week. That's about 168 hours you got there.
ScienceGuy2012

Postby zhyrek on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:34 pm

ScienceGuy2012 wrote:
zhyrek wrote:

Oh, and I'll move ahead the deadline 1 week. That's about 168 hours you got there.

Trust me, I can make two designs that work in the same way, but will never get called as being from the same design
zhyrek

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm

zhyrek wrote:
ScienceGuy2012 wrote:
zhyrek wrote:Here's the issue: if you can tell if designs are too similar/different, so can the people playing it, and can adjust the designs they send you accordingly.

Trust me, I can make two designs that work in the same way, but will never get called as being from the same design

Were they on different levels?
And did I say they were different?
ScienceGuy2012

Postby zhyrek on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:11 pm

No, same level. I assume that is what you implied
zhyrek

Postby platypus11 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 am

I hereby motion that the name of this comp be changed to: "the most comp comp". With the first "comp" being short for complicated.

Got lost starting with the 3rd sentence and it worse from there.
platypus11

Postby halfmaster1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:34 pm

ScienceGuy, I really recommend you make a much simpler competition, such as one where you post three levels right at the start, and everyone has 2 weeks to solve them, you score is the total magnum for all three, and lowest score wins. Then there isn't complicated managing, or confusing rules.

I made the same mistakes as you when I first started making competitions, and I'd like to think I learned from them.
halfmaster1

Return to Challenges and Games