Multiskill Tourney [Finale]

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

Multiskill Tourney [Finale]

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:50 pm

Welcome to the Multiskill Competition!

In this competition, every round, you will be paired up with an opponent. If you beat them, you eliminate them. Last person standing wins!

Round Details:

Each round, each pair of opponents will both be PM the same level, however, only that pair will get that specific level. They will also receive a method of scoring, such as magnum, and whoever does the best survives, the other eliminated.

Rules:

Teams:
You may partner up with a person, however you must make it clear at the beginning. Only teams of two are allowed. At the end, if team wins, they will be split up and be entered into another round to determine the true winner.

Glitches:
Only minor phasing is allowed as long as it doesn't affect the performance of the design. Other than that, if you submit a glitchy design (such as phasing through a thick wall or using exploding wheels), you automatically lose. Although one exception to phasing is thin objects (in xy length terms, that means one is 12 or less) unless I say so otherwise.

Scoring:
Pm me a link to the design and what you believe your score to be. If you have mis-scored, then I will Pm you the correct score, with no penalty.

Ties: When a tie occurs (which may or may not be often), the pair tied will get 1 extra day to improve.

Contraptions that don't solve the level:
Unless your scoring system says that you have to stop the level from solving itself, and contraptions that do not solve the level automatically lose. If you believe that it would have work had I been using the same operating system as you (e.g. Mac instead of Windows), then I will get someone with the same OS as you to see if it works.

Levels:
Only the qualifier and the final level will be posted in the OP. The rest will be sent via PM in order to avoid the confusion of trying to figure out which level is yours.

Submissions:
They go by PM. Please include your design link and score. You may resubmit, but don't do it too often (otherwise I'll get angry).
Qualifier
Scoring:
Magnum
Multiply the amount of ticks by the piece-count to get your score. The lower, the better.
Elimination:
To begin the competition, we must have the number of contestants be equal to n^2, where n is any integer, e.g. 2,4,8,16, etc. To accomplish this, in the qualifier, we will eliminate the lowest scores, until we have one of these numbers. For example, if 9 people enter, one will be eliminated and the rest have made it into the competition.
Qualifying round is over!
Round 0 will use the same level as the qualifier, still magnum, but eliminations happen. Deadline is January 5th at 5:00. :D Over.
Qualifer----------------Status
1.schmittd(0738)-----eliminated
2.marcxb(0814)-------eliminated
3.djbreslin(1125)-----alive
4.platypus11(1146)---eliminated
5.{???}(1140)-----------sneakily beat schmittd
6.halfmaster1(2064)--eliminated

Round 1 is over!
Info:

Group 1
Least Pieces continues
{???} had less than an hour, but passed!
Originally schmittd vs platypus11
Designs:
schmittd - 8 pc
platypus11 - no design
{???} - 7 pc!!!
Test Solve

Group 2
Slowest continues
marcxb vs djbreslin
marcxb didn't submit so djbreslin continues!
(djbreslin's submission - 356)
Test Solve

The Finale!!!
Scoring: "Extended Magnum": pieces x ticks /(badges + 1)
(It's badges + 1 because otherwise you'll be forced to get at least 1 badge)
The Level
Deadline is Friday January 11, 4:00. (I will not garuntee the results will be up by even Sunday, as I get a lot of work in grade 6 gifted) Feel free to post guest solves if you're eliminated. Always PM me.
Over! Solves:
Comp Solve - {???} (108)
Guest Solve - Waffle (85.5)
Test Solve
So I'd say this was a somewhat climatic end, and though slightly unfair, congrats to {???} and Waffle.
Last edited by ScienceGuy2012 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:02 am, edited 17 times in total.
ScienceGuy2012

Re: Multiskill Tourney

Postby djbreslin on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:21 pm

So only 2, 4, 8, 16 people can enter the tourny. How will you eliminate people after the Qualifyer and before round one?
You are implying that you are going to PM the levels to the people in the tourny (besides the final round), why?
djbreslin

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:00 pm

You are implying that you are going to PM the levels to the people in the tourny (besides the final round), why?

I want everyone to see the final round
plus, for the final round, I will make the scores (but not the solves) public and update it when I can

So only 2, 4, 8, 16 people can enter the tourny. How will you eliminate people after the Qualifyer and before round one?

I stated the qualifier's scoring is Magnum - so the top <highest 2^n number less than the number of qualifying entries> will get in (I thought that was clear)
ScienceGuy2012

Postby rianbay812 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:09 pm

ScienceGuy2012 wrote:

I want everyone to see the final round
plus, for the final round, I will make the scores (but not the solves) public and update it when I can

I just laughed out loud haha

SG, he wants to know why you don't just post the levels in the OP and why you have to PM them to people.

ScienceGuy2012 wrote:

I stated the qualifier's scoring is Magnum - so the top <highest 2^n number less than the number of qualifying entries> will get in (I thought that was clear)

I have no comment for this because I just don't think you read his question
rianbay812

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:11 pm

Why not? Better for them. It reminds them, and only the pair against each other will see it. If they finish early and need something to do, they can go browse through the levels.

And the qualifying: Let's say we have 19 people. The top 16 will move on and the other 3 will be eliminated.
Last edited by ScienceGuy2012 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScienceGuy2012

Postby rianbay812 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:12 pm

ScienceGuy2012 wrote:Why not? Better for them. It reminds them, and only the pair against each other will see it. If they finish early and need something to do, they can go browse through the levels.

wut
rianbay812

Postby djbreslin on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 pm

ScienceGuy2012 wrote:Why not? Better for them. It reminds them, and only the pair against each other will see it. If they finish early and need something to do, they can go browse through the levels.

And the qualifying: Let's say we have 19 people. The top 16 will move on and the other 3 will be eliminated.

Normally people don't get ELIMINATED in the QUALIFIER, but ok.

Also, it seems that each pair of people going against eachother have a different level. This is verrrry confusing... like your last "competition."
djbreslin

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:41 am

Do you guys want a Round 0 to bring the number down? I'll do that then.
ScienceGuy2012

Postby halfmaster1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:20 pm

I think I understand!

It was hard to figure that out when I am this tired. You might want to make the rules a bit clearer. If you want, I could type up my interpretation of it tomorrow to help those who don't understand.

Edit: Also, do you guys think I'm going to have to break 2000 to get into round 1?
halfmaster1

Postby djbreslin on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm

halfmaster1 wrote:I think I understand!

It was hard to figure that out when I am this tired. You might want to make the rules a bit clearer. If you want, I could type up my interpretation of it tomorrow to help those who don't understand.

Edit: Also, do you guys think I'm going to have to break 2000 to get into round 1?

He said "shoot for 1384" or something like that, but then deleted it I guess.
djbreslin

Postby zhyrek on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:45 pm

djbreslin wrote:
halfmaster1 wrote:I think I understand!

He said "shoot for 1384" or something like that, but then deleted it I guess.

Put it this way: Get triple digits or expect to be eliminated
zhyrek

Postby schmittd on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm

i have a few problems with this comp (though i dont mean to hurt anyones feelings)
whats the point of pm-ing people the levels and not letting other people see them?
you never stated in the main OP that the qualifier would be based on magnum scoring, but because i searched the comments, i discovered so.
why not publish the final solves?
schmittd

Location: Limitless possibilities. One Game. One Purpose. Fantastic Contraption.

Postby halfmaster1 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 am

Science Guy, I will make a new less confusing OP and send it to you. That way I might actually have someone to compete against.
halfmaster1

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:25 am

BTW, an early notice: Round 0 is the same thing as the Qualifier, except Round 0 is the eliminating process. I will expect to see improvements at that time.
ScienceGuy2012

Postby halfmaster1 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for putting up the new op, sg. Maybe we will get a few more participants, now.
halfmaster1

Postby rianbay812 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Halfmaster1 is now running the comp everybody
rianbay812

Postby platypus11 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 am

Still confusing. Here's a pet peeve of mine: saying things like "minor phasing allowed as long as it doesn't affect the performance of the design."

If you can't eliminate it without losing the solve, then it is affecting the performance of the design. Am I the only one who thinks this???
platypus11

Postby ScienceGuy2012 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 am

halfmaster1 wrote:Thanks for putting up the new op, sg. Maybe we will get a few more participants, now.

Haha I forgot you didn't submit a qualifying entry XD
ScienceGuy2012

Postby halfmaster1 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 am

rianbay812 wrote:Halfmaster1 is now running the comp everybody

NO! I just typed up an OP.

Also, the reason I put in minor phasing is because almost every single design does this. You make a catapult? One piece might go a pixel into the ground. For example, http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=11857995, when the top bit extends, there is some minor phasing. Should this not be allowed?

Also, seeing as I forgot to put this is, are we allowed to re-submit?
halfmaster1

Postby djbreslin on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:11 am

I sent you a design on Jan 1st and I'm still not on the OP...
djbreslin

Next

Return to Challenges and Games