Re: BATTLE BOT (F2P)

Postby radioactiwe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:09 am

radioactiwe

Postby teasphere on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:43 am

teasphere

Postby DanekJovax on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 am

I've read this whole thread, and I really have enjoyed watching the tit-for-tat battles, and the creativeness of each entry! A few posts, though, are obviously not really competitions, and I think there needs to be a few more guidelines to make things less vague and the battles outline more definitive victory conditions.

Anyways, to help with this, I propose the following:

(I've seen several entries where the bots basically pass one another and drop off the opposing edge; not really a victory in my books. Be a real robot and PUSH THE OTHER ROBOT OVER THE EDGE! All other outcomes are failure. So..)
1) Victory is only achieved when one robot pushes the opposing robot over the opposing edge of the field.

Basically "Robot Sumo." ;2)

(Some entries have robots on tethers and robots with several "pieces", where victory was bascially won by leaving one of these pieces behind. So...)
2) Battlebots should not be made of more than one single "chassis." No Tethers and no separate modules. Boxes, Traps, and Chains are allowed, as long as they are connected to the chassis and they do not drag out more than the length of the chassis (in which case it will be considered a tether or separate module).

Note: One way to allow any design would be to add one victory rule addendum to enforce preserving all pieces of a battlebot to stay on the field:
1b) Victory will only be made when all pieces of a battlebot remain as all of the opposing battlebots pieces is/are knocked off the opposing edge.

Also, we could use the goal "balls" as the tag to mark the "main" part of the battlebot. This will require all bot designs to incorporate this goal ball into the design. Thusly:
1c) Victory will be achieved when one battlebot successfully pushes the opposing battlebot's "goal" ball over the opposing edge first.

There may be other victory conditions to be achieved, but for a simple "sumo" competition, these above three conditions should be sufficient.

(There is a limit to the number of pieces that can be placed on the field - this can allow people to make battlebots with a majority of these pieces, leaving the opponent insufficient parts to make a contender. So...)
3) Battlebots should be made of no more than 60 pieces, not including the goal ball.
NOTE: Of course, these parts limits could create "Weight Classes," where robots of only a certain part count can contend with other bots with similar part counts. Just a thought... :2)

(Some entries violated the "half-way" border....)
Try a level like this(this is still a prototype level, but at least the door mechanism is a working proof-of-concept)...that uses dynamic objects make it easier to impose borders, and it moves out of the way after a few ticks (unless a bot interferes with the "door" mechanics) allowing the battle to commence.

Anyways, those are my ideas. I think with some more rules we could also set up battlebot contests with multiple rounds/heats and elimination challenges. Hope all this helps!

:2)
DanekJovax

Postby MrSeagull on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:48 am

DanekJovax wrote:I've read this whole thread, and I really have enjoyed watching the tit-for-tat battles, and the creativeness of each entry! ....

Here here! I agree. Robo Sumo all the way.
MrSeagull

Postby Silver Wolf on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:59 am

MrSeagull wrote:
DanekJovax wrote:I've read this whole thread, and I really have enjoyed watching the tit-for-tat battles, and the creativeness of each entry! ....

Here here! I agree. Robo Sumo all the way.

Yes of course, THESE RULES WILL BE PUT INTO PLACE
Silver Wolf

Postby MrSeagull on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 am

I juts threw this together. Check it out, give me suggestions and ideas. Once it's refined, I'll post a new thread for it.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?levelId=54964
MrSeagull

Postby Silver Wolf on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:10 am

MrSeagull wrote:I juts threw this together. Check it out, give me suggestions and ideas. Once it's refined, I'll post a new thread for it.

In case you did not know, F2P means FREE TO PLAY!
Silver Wolf

Postby MrSeagull on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:13 am

Silver Wolf wrote:In case you did not know, F2P means FREE TO PLAY!

Oh, I knew that. I didn't know F2P players couldn't see it. My bad.

How do you make a F2P arena?
MrSeagull

Postby DanekJovax on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Silver Wolf wrote:
MrSeagull wrote:I juts threw this together. Check it out, give me suggestions and ideas. Once it's refined, I'll post a new thread for it.

In case you did not know, F2P means FREE TO PLAY!

In that case, using a free level will be the only choice. Using a blue/brown rod will have to be the requirement on marking a boundary, and then part limits should be 59 per bot (using 2 rods for the boundary marker).

In any case, my suggestions as posted are only suggestions, and if they're good enough to implement into the game, great. ;2)

I may think of making a tournament, though the biggest hurdle here is the lack of being able to store contraption designs and reload them into other levels for use. I'm working on that problem; when I have this licked I'll report in with the news.
DanekJovax

Postby jakeK on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 pm

http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=2800169 and I think this follows the new rules.
jakeK

Postby MrSeagull on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:04 pm

MrSeagull

Postby private 2 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:23 pm

I think we should have a contest you know that the icon for the game is :cwheel: well i think we should have a battle to see if we shuld change it if the yellow team wins it stays :cwheel: if the pink team wins it changes to :ccwheel: people who didnt pay :10bux: can try and here is my example http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=2702071 (blue wheels can be used and any rod but the blue wheels wont be the icon and the same rules apply)
private 2

Location: iduunno whrere do u think look at my avatar (ps its not new york)

Postby private 2 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:28 pm

jump 4 joy i won http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=2807124 (but i broke at least 1 rule)
private 2

Location: iduunno whrere do u think look at my avatar (ps its not new york)

Postby DLagace on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:54 pm

Private 2, I think you posted the link to MrSeagull's original. Anyway, I tried to follow most of the rules to beat MrSeagull, and it sort of worked. It isn't pretty, though, and the two bots may or may not be doing it at some point in the middle there. Technically, the tethered piece from MrSeagull's bot is on the board a little longer than my bot, so I'm not sure if this really counts as a win. It is pretty funny looking, though, so that should count for something.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=2818514

(The best part is MrSeagull's bot pulling a Balrog to my bot's Gandalf at the last second)
DLagace

Postby berry619 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:59 pm

berry619

Postby dill_pickle_102 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:09 pm

dill_pickle_102

Postby berry619 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 pm

berry619

Postby DLagace on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Got tired of the scoopers, so here's a new type. Almost didn't make it!

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=2820292
DLagace

Postby berry619 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:38 pm

berry619

Postby teasphere on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:10 pm

teasphere

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer Events