How I learned to stop worrying and trust the orange names

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

How I learned to stop worrying and trust the orange names

Postby weasel on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:27 pm

People keep asking about the gold-titled people in the forums and about becoming a moderator. It's really not there for exclusivity or anything like that, and I'm not trying to exclude anyone. Here's the low-down:

:waterrod: These folks are essentially "mini moderators." It is completely optional and on a volunteer basis. I trust them to issue warnings to users when they spam, and to edit out spambot links, and things like this. There is a great deal of trust here; everyone in this crowd I entrust with the safety and future of the forums. Not all users flex this ability; some actively chose to send warnings and edit offending posts, others choose to simply be a good example for the rest of us.

:waterrod: As such, these users do not have the ability to ban or delete posts, and all of their actions are logged for me to review at any time.

:waterrod: Everyone in this group has demonstrated the ability to form cogent sentences with proper spelling and grammar. They add to the forums, and don't detract, and make it a place I like to continue visiting.

:waterrod: They are all in close contact with me at most times and have a good grasp on what is going on, at all times.

:waterrod: We have become some measure of "chums" and I would enjoy hanging out with any of these folks in real life.

:waterrod: They all seem to be mature, cool, chill folks that have the best interests of the future of the game in mind. I can trust them to give me an unbiased opinion on things and it helps me to maintain a measure of neutrality.

:waterrod: Some people have been granted all the rights and access levels of a gold-named user but have opted out of the gold name, so they are essentially invisible to you.

:waterrod: People have periodically lost, and gained, membership; the roster is in a state of flux at any given point. I am not afraid to ban any one of these users for violating the trust I put in them.

:waterrod: When we want to add people to this group (very rare) we seek out good quality individuals based on the above critera; it is not by application, but invitation.
weasel

Re: Mods. Or: The Truth About Gold Names

Postby tmusquiez on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:33 pm

I like the choices you have chosen, as they're all either good at hosting competitions, or good at solving levels. The FC forum is a great place to be, and I love coming here. I'd love to be a part of the team, and know I need to clean up my act, but thanks for picking those most able to do the job.
tmusquiez

Postby darkeagle on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:20 pm

:waterrod: These folks are essentially "mini moderators." It is completely optional and on a volunteer basis. I trust them to issue warnings to users when they spam, and to edit out spambot links, and things like this. There is a great deal of trust here; everyone in this crowd I entrust with the safety and future of the forums. Not all users flex this ability; some actively chose to send warnings and edit offending posts, others choose to simply be a good example for the rest of us. (Check)

:waterrod: As such, these users do not have the ability to ban or delete posts, and all of their actions are logged for me to review at any time. (Check)

:waterrod: Everyone in this group has demonstrated the ability to form cogent sentences with proper spelling and grammar. They add to the forums, and don't detract, and make it a place I like to continue visiting. (Uh... maybe)

:waterrod: They are all in close contact with me at most times and have a good grasp on what is going on, at all times. (Pretty much)

:waterrod: We have become some measure of "chums" and I would enjoy hanging out with any of these folks in real life. (I don't think so)

:waterrod: They all seem to be mature, cool, chill folks that have the best interests of the future of the game in mind. I can trust them to give me an unbiased opinion on things and it helps me to maintain a measure of neutrality. (I think that's check)

:waterrod: Some people have been granted all the rights and access levels of a gold-named user but have opted out of the gold name, so they are essentially invisible to you. (No thanks)

:waterrod: People have periodically lost, and gained, membership; the roster is in a state of flux at any given point. I am not afraid to ban any one of these users for violating the trust I put in them. (I will use my power wisely)

:waterrod: When we want to add people to this group -very rare- we seek out good quality individuals based on the above criteria; it is not by application, but invitation. (Gotcha)

Just putting my replies in. I'm ready to be a mod when you're ready to accept me. Not that I need to be one, I just want to help everyone so FC can be better than ever.
The words in parathenses are my replies.
darkeagle

Postby gtman on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Darkeagle
you have been posting around the forums saying you want and are ready to be a mod. As that may be true why do you think you are first in line? If you know the current people in the team you may notice that many great people are not on that list, people that also are on daily, friends with the community, and help out people maybe even more then you.
when the time comes weasel will have the option to pick new people so untill then dont whine that your not a mod but do something that may prove that you are ready to be a mod.
I hope i helped in some way for you to understand that if you like this game and support it then wait and the time will come to you when you earn it.
gtman

Postby darkeagle on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm

gtman wrote:Darkeagle
you have been posting around the forums saying you want and are ready to be a mod. As that may be true why do you think you are first in line? If you know the current people in the team you may notice that many great people are not on that list, people that also are on daily, friends with the community, and help out people maybe even more then you.
when the time comes weasel will have the option to pick new people so untill then dont whine that your not a mod but do something that may prove that you are ready to be a mod.
I hope i helped in some way for you to understand that if you like this game and support it then wait and the time will come to you when you earn it.

Hey, I only posted three times about that!
But I know I have to wait... Maybe I don't deserve the title of a mod...
darkeagle

Postby gtman on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:53 pm

Never said you didn't, just said that you have to work for what you want
but if weasel ever does take recruits i think your name will be a reasonable choice among others
gtman

Postby darkeagle on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:58 pm

thanks! i'll try my best!
darkeagle

Postby darkeagle on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:54 pm

But, what sort of things can I do for FC?
darkeagle

Postby thecounterdid on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:08 pm

darkeagle wrote:But, what sort of things can I do for FC?

Stop asking to be a mod.
thecounterdid

Postby darkeagle on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:09 pm

I have stopped asking. I mean other than that. Please, I need to know what I can do.
darkeagle

Postby thecounterdid on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:11 pm

darkeagle wrote:I have stopped asking. I mean other than that. Please, I need to know what I can do.

Just be mature.
thecounterdid

Postby darkeagle on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:19 pm

I am being mature. You aren't any help at all, DID. Go find some other thread to spam in.
darkeagle

Postby NickOmaboy on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:45 pm

-First off, darkeagle, chill (were not all moderators...) and something you can do to help FC is to contribute the best you can to create honest and helpful posts and not to try and squeeze your way into being a moderator, because that makes people angry. Also, you can try and limit your posts so that not every other post is by you, or it gets annoying and repetitive.

-Second, Weasel great post, i like when you make these FAQ based posts, it makes me feel as if a lot of people's questions have been answered and maybe other people will be less confused. Personally, i think you should post something like this immediately after you update something when other players might notice something is different or something is intriguing and there's no immediate answers. Otherwise your going to have angry players asking you for answers anyway.

Peace,
Nick
Last edited by NickOmaboy on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NickOmaboy

Postby thecounterdid on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:47 pm

darkeagle wrote:I am being mature. You aren't any help at all, DID. Go find some other thread to spam in.

What I'm saying is don't try to do something special just to become a mod. If weasel wants you he'll choose you.
thecounterdid

Postby NickOmaboy on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:50 pm

thecounterdid wrote:
darkeagle wrote:I am being mature. You aren't any help at all, DID. Go find some other thread to spam in.

What I'm saying is don't try to do something special just to become a mod. If weasel wants you he'll choose you.

-agreed, Darkeagle trying to impress Weasel does quite the opposite in effect and if anyone is spamming its you...

Peace,
Nick
Last edited by NickOmaboy on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NickOmaboy

Postby darkeagle on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Okay, okay, okay. I'll shut up and do what I always do.
darkeagle

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:12 pm

to weasel: you said orange dudes can give warning but not ban does that mean that they can raise my warning level or not
VERYDUMBNAME

Postby NickOmaboy on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:10 pm

VERYDUMBNAME wrote:to weasel: you said orange dudes can give warning but not ban does that mean that they can raise my warning level or not

no but they can raise awareness of your terrible grammar

Just Kidding,
Nick
NickOmaboy

Postby weasel on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:13 pm

These folk can all issue warnings. I occasionally check the warnings and browse through them. If it seems like you aren't learning your lesson, I ban. That's all.

One of the biggest considerations for who gets added to this list is what you contribute to the message boards. Posting a lot isn't contributing. Ask yourself this: If your post was deleted, would the thread drop in value? If yes, it was a decent contribution.
weasel

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and trust the orange names

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 pm

how come somepeople who are orange are people who are on 2 mins a day and noone has ever heard of them
VERYDUMBNAME

Next

Return to The Dev Dish