Badges and Challenges: Extending Your Game!

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Badges and Challenges: Extending Your Game!

Postby weasel on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:39 pm

So you've beaten all 20 of the standard levels. Maybe you've played around in the level editor, maybe you haven't - but you want to see if you can hone your skills on a set of officially-sanctioned challenges. Just how can you measure a truly "Fantastic" contraption?

WITH BADGES!
How do your contraptions stack up?

• Solved Badge: A contraption that gains a victory message without abusing any glitches or bugs in the game. You probably have a whole drawer of Solved badges by now! But how FEW pieces can you solve it in? (discuss)
  • :green: Green Badge: An environmentally-friendly contraption that uses only rods, sticks and un-powered wheels. Can you let gravity do the work for you? (discuss)
  • :champ: Champion Badge: Leaves the goal piece(s) in the goal forever! Don't let them roll out or trundle on after the Victory message. Even this tiny change will make your contraptions require a lot more thought! (discuss)
  • :boomerang: Boomerang Badge: A contraption that brings the goal piece back to the building area after winning. Can you become an expert at creating objects that roll forwards as well as backwards? (discuss)
  • :clean: Clean Badge: Clean up after yourself! Remove all traces of your contraption from the playing area by throwing them off cliffs after beating the level! (discuss)
  • :brown: The Brown Badge: Earn yourself a Brown Badge by beating the level with nothing more than water and wooden sticks. No wheels allowed! (discuss)
  • :sweep: The Sweep Badge: This means you've swept the level of all the dynamic objects that started in the level (before you made your contraption). Cleaning your own contraption off the level as well would indicate a Clean Sweep, or :clean: :sweep: .
  • :rodless: The Rodless Badge: This is fairly self-explanatory. You only use wheels to defeat the level!
  • :badgeless: The Badgeless Badge: Though self-contradictory, you can obtain the badgeless badge only if your contraption finishes the level.. without obtaining any other badges! This can be hard to do sometimes. (used to be called the "Solved" badge)
  • :handsoff: The HandsOff Badge: You earn this badge if you don't move the goal object from it's original starting position during the build phase! You can still connect rods to it, but no dragging it around on the screen at all. It's not possible to touch the goal object if it starts outside the build area, of course.
  • :water: The Water Badge: You earn this badge by using only the hollow blue water rods. This is like the brown badge but a step harder!
See how many badges you can get, and share and compare in their respective threads! Don't forget you can even combine badges, such as with the Green Champions discussion!

What? What's that you say? You say that's not enough for you?? Well! I'm glad you spoke up! Because there is indeed MORE stuff to do!

MULTIPLAYER GAMES!
These multiplayer games have custom rules and levels, be sure to check the discussions on how to play!

• Soccer Arena Try to get the ball past the other contraption and into the opposing goal! Designed by AlexT and currently the most popular challenge on the forum! (discuss)
  • The Olympics: Pit your contraptions in themed events and see if you can take home a medal! (discuss)
  • Expand-A-Level: Take a level, beat it, and edit it to make it harder for the next person! Thought up by OfficiallyHaphazard. (discuss)
  • Arena Challenge #1: Try to get the ball from atop the pillar, and back into your own goal! (discuss)
  • Lightweight Sumo Arena: Try to push your opponents device off the play area and out of bounds! (discuss)
  • Angel City Soccer Arena: A slightly more advanced variant of the original Soccer arena! (discuss)
Still not satiated??

USER CHALLENGES!
Your fellow builders have issued a challenge! Will you answer the call?

• Pro-Wheel Challenge: Sick of all those Green Badges? Try your hand at making a solution that focuses on powered wheels! Check the discussion for rules and details. (discuss)
  • Fastest Contraptions: How quickly can you defeat the basic levels? (discuss)
  • Multi-Purpose Contraptions: Have a solid design that can traverse several levels with only minor adjustments? Challenge issued by Holmstrom. (discuss)
  • Ultimate Perfection: Can your contraption use the fewest number of pieces, and still be a champion? See how your designs stack up! (discuss)

Feel free to PM me or respond to this thread if you have more to add, and don't forget to check out the Challenges and Games forum for a constantly updating list!

(Link to the old Standing Challenges thread)
weasel

Re: Badges and Challenges: Extending Your Game!

Postby NightStryke on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:54 pm

Ah, much more interesting than the old thread. There's a Green Champions thread, too, if you want to include that.
NightStryke

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:40 pm

There is also the occasional Haphazard Challenge... Stay tuned for the next installment :)\

I was also thinking, perhaps you want to link to a couple of the levels that usually produce new threads, like unpossible.. here is a list I compiled a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159&p=2071
Last edited by OfficiallyHaphazard on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby Sgt Superman on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:19 pm

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:There is also the occasional Haphazard Challenge... Stay tuned for the next installment :)

You will have it up by tomorrow right? :twisted:
Sgt Superman

Postby SSH on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:50 am

Awesome, my Green Champs thread has official sanction! Here's some suggestions:

The game itself could have a Stats panel, showing the number of pieces used and if a design qualifies as Green or Brown. That might save some tricky counting.

Let's have some icons for these badges:
Green: Image
Champion: Image
Brown: Image
Green Champ: Image
Brown Champ: Image
Boomerang: Image
Clean: Image
Green Clean: Image
Brown Clean: Image
SSH

Postby weasel on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Icons for badges is a lame idea! ;)

:green: :brown: :champ: :clean: :boomerang: :brownchamp: :greenchamp: :cleangreen: :cleanbrown:
weasel

Postby onion on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:46 pm

I feel like a pokemon trainer now.

Do I get to battle against the elite 4 after I get every badge? :3
onion

Postby weasel on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:59 pm

onion wrote:I feel like a pokemon trainer now.

Oh, didn't you know? The Pokemans inside their balls is what makes them spin clockwise/counterclockwise. The blue balls have dead pokemans inside (they forgot to punch airholes)
weasel

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:08 pm

weasel wrote:

Oh, didn't you know? The Pokemans inside their balls is what makes them spin clockwise/counterclockwise. The blue balls have dead pokemans inside (they forgot to punch airholes)

:shock:
that is horrible

Horribly funny, that is :razz:

(note: is there any way to link :P with :razz: ?)
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby onion on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:08 pm

weasel wrote:

this is terrible...
onion

Postby Gusser on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:29 pm

according to my statisticks i got one green :green: one brown clean no wheels :cleanbrown: and more clean like :clean:
Gusser

Postby onion on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:38 pm

since there's no badge for normal clear, could I propose this? Image
10000 hours in mspaint, true story. I'm sure someone could make a better one though...
onion

Postby onion on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:12 pm

you've brought this upon yourselves...

I'm rather dissapointed, yet somewhat glad that this won't fit as a signature...
onion

Postby NightStryke on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:23 pm

SOCCER ARENA chooses FLAYER!

PUSHER, go!

PUSHER uses BRUTE FORCE! The attack has no effect!

FLAYER uses THROW!

PUSHER uses SLIGHT TWEAK! It's super-effective!

FLAYER has been defeated!
NightStryke

Postby weasel on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 pm

onion wrote:you've brought this upon yourselves...

:aaaaa:
weasel

Postby ImUnicke on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:55 am

How about a challenge where only the Goal Piece enters the Goal Area, and no other pieces? I would particularly like this challenge since you would have to create catapults and trebuchets and other such "slinging" contraptions, and those are definitely sweet :cool:

EDIT: You could also declare that the Goal Piece cannot be moved at the start to add to the effect...
ImUnicke

Postby sccook on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:54 pm

How about the Simplest Solutions:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28

I thought there was a challenge to come up with a catapult for each level...but I couldn't find it.
sccook

Postby SSH on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:13 am

weasel wrote:See how many badges you can get, and share and compare in their respective threads! Don't forget you can even combine badges, such as with the Green Champions :cleangreen: discussion!

Hey, they're official smilies now, cool! Do I get free full registration?

By the way, that's the Clean Green icon there, not the Green Champ one.
SSH

Postby weasel on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:31 am

SSH wrote:
weasel wrote:See how many badges you can get, and share and compare in their respective threads! Don't forget you can even combine badges, such as with the Green Champions :greenchamp: discussion!

Hey, they're official smilies now, cool! Do I get free full registration?

Yeah! Thanks a lot for those. I would totally give you a free registration, but the icons are a biiiit low quality and I plan on changing them up as soon as I have some time (or someone spices them up a bit). They are just placeholders for now.. don't get me wrong I really appreciate them :)

By the way, that's the Clean Green icon there, not the Green Champ one.

I don't know what you're talking about :ssh:
weasel

Postby kramboid on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:18 am

Can I suggest a new badge idea? Beating level with only walking contraptions; no wheel-ground interaction, just good ol' fashioned legs. :)

edit: hmm I guess it's more of a challenge than a badge. just an idea though
kramboid

Next

Return to The Dev Dish