The FC Resource Thread

Report bugs, registration issues, or just suggest some new features in this thread! Guaranteed to have at least 10% more dev attention than other threads!

Re: Useful links for Fantastic Contraption

Postby sk89q on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:09 am

SSH wrote:
sk89q wrote:Fixed. Unpowered wheels were being counted as goal wheels.

Awesome.The new stuff is great, but can you put a total of all the part counts in, too, please? It would also be nice to have a link to the user on each design page.

It would also be cool if the total part count and the badges were shown in the Design browser.

Actually I notice that 613823 has its level wrong: it thinks it is Up the Hump, when it is actually one of the Hidden levels.

I've added totals. I can't add a link to the user because FC.com doesn't provide information about a design/level's creator.

I can't add total part count and badges to the browser because it'd have to fetch every level from FC.com.

All the hidden levels show the wrong level. FC.com links to them a completely different level. This could be mitigated if I add something that compares whether the design is actually derived from its supposed level (by comparing the landscape parts, etc.).
sk89q

Postby SSH on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:29 am

sk89q wrote:I've added totals. I can't add a link to the user because FC.com doesn't provide information about a design/level's creator.
I can't add total part count and badges to the browser because it'd have to fetch every level from FC.com.

Thanks for the totals!

You could work around this by storing the info when the level is accessed, or when the user is shown in the design browser, etc. I guess.

Also, why do none of MY designs appear in the browsing list?
SSH

Postby sk89q on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:44 am

SSH wrote:
sk89q wrote:I've added totals. I can't add a link to the user because FC.com doesn't provide information about a design/level's creator.

Thanks for the totals!

You could work around this by storing the info when the level is accessed, or when the user is shown in the design browser, etc. I guess.

Also, why do none of MY designs appear in the browsing list?

The info is cached every time you lookup a design or level, but it'd make for a very incomplete list of information. As for users, I thought of the same thing too, but the incompleteness is kind of annoying (and I would also have to start storing the cache in a more efficient way). I'll just wait until pacifist provides the information.

Did you remember to publish them? :)
sk89q

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:46 pm

I like the "load" bar at the top. Is that really accurate?
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby sk89q on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:56 pm

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:I like the "load" bar at the top. Is that really accurate?

Well, there's three operations, from an outsider's viewpoint:
- Reading, such as a level (low delay, little lag)
- Indexes, such as browsing a list of solutions (medium delay)
- Writing, such as when saving a design (long delay, bad lag)

The load meter averages (over ten minutes) how long it takes to process the second operation (loading an index) by measuring how long it takes to load the list of user-made levels. It checks this every fifteen seconds, but only if people are browsing FC Resource.

Saving designs (writing) seems to always take forever, regardless of how long the other operations may take. Of course, under high stress, it may take even longer.

The load percentage is calculated as the average time it took to load the index over the threshold of 10 seconds. (10 seconds or longer equals 100% load). It's a linear relationship.

It's all relative. FC seems to lag even when it's not in peak times.
sk89q

Postby Bawss on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:17 am

finally found this thread, perhaps instructions on finding user ids should also be explained on the website(if it isnt already, i couldnt find it) for those who dont use the forums or use them rarely

anyway, im having slight troubles getting my user id :P

for every design of mine that i have tried (official levels) i view the designs information page but when i click "find other solutions to this level" my design does not appear in the list, so i cannot get my user id, is there some criteria for a design to be listed (must have a rating, etc) ?

here is a list of the designs i tried:
design #455705 (roll car) - level #89 (on a roll)
design #451117 (weighted sling) - level #54 (unpossible)
design #449946 (suprise ending) - level #60 (back and forth)
design #411471 (doompulley) - level #31 (the wall)
design #410030 (rollthattrick) - level #62 (mission to mars)
design #390046 (megadozer3) - level #28 (awash)
design #390259 (boxforce alpha) - level #28 (awash)

none of these designs are listed when i click 'view other solutions to this level'
all of these designs complete the levels
someone please tell me im blind, stupid or doing something wrong :P

just curious, im not sure how your system works, but since user ids are listed along with the contraptions in the solutions list, how come user ids are not listed along with contraptions when you view a contraptions info page (evidently there is a link between contraptions and user ids, just not on a contraptions information page) i was just wondering.... :P
Bawss

Postby NightStryke on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:46 am

Well, are they published? Just like when viewing others' solutions in the game, FC Resource only shows published designs.

EDIT: Oh, wait, those design numbers are relatively low. Did you make them before the 8th? If so, they're in "cold storage" until a later date.
NightStryke

Postby sk89q on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:34 pm

You can now login to your account on FC Resource. It doesn't do anything right now as I write this, but things may be planned (like voting). This is a very easy way to get your ID #.
sk89q

Postby NightStryke on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:44 pm

FC Resource seems to be reporting some incorrect quality rating values. It's got the current top two player levels (Construction and Tossup) rated at 5 when they're actually 4, and a contraption of mine rated at 4 when it's actually 3.
NightStryke

Postby sk89q on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:02 pm

NightStryke wrote:FC Resource seems to be reporting some incorrect quality rating values. It's got the current top two player levels (Construction and Tossup) rated at 5 when they're actually 4, and a contraption of mine rated at 4 when it's actually 3.

I'll look into it, although the # of "stars" is just the rounded value of the rating.
sk89q

Postby sk89q on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:28 pm

You can now manage (publish/unpublish, delete) your designs at:
http://fc.therisenrealm.com/mydesigns
And your levels:
http://fc.therisenrealm.com/mylevels

Last edited by sk89q on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sk89q

Postby sk89q on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Recent changes:

• Links in the ID and design/level name columns have been switched (the name goes to the FC Res lookup page instead)
  • The designs listing page has been split into "Designs [for a level]" and "Find Designs by a User"
  • Thumbnail popups if you hover over the design/level's name for a bit in listings
  • New account dashboard (of dubious usefulness)
  • Slightly more useful homepage (added "Community Level Pump")
  • Design/level/user lookup pages have slightly more information
  • The menu now works even if JavaScript is disabled, but your browser needs decent CSS support (not IE 6!)
  • More tweaks to the look of the website

By the way, if you are having problems with the back button (namely in Firefox) where your scroll position jumps back to the top when you go back, report it here.

Also, since this is just a small side project, I do not care if the website functions (well) on IE 6. If you still are using IE 6, you should upgrade (like, seriously). If it's not your computer, you are probably goofing off to begin with anyway :toot:
sk89q

Postby dad on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:12 pm

thumb nails .... very cool! has me browsing user levels again :woop:
dad

Postby robertk on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:23 am

I would like to be able to sort the lists.

Maybe by klicking on the title for each column to have them sorted by thatr collumn. Sort by ID,Level name, Username and so on.... would that be possible?

//Robert
robertk

Postby sk89q on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:14 am

robertk wrote:I would like to be able to sort the lists.

Maybe by klicking on the title for each column to have them sorted by thatr collumn. Sort by ID,Level name, Username and so on.... would that be possible?

//Robert

You can only sort on the levels page (and I just added links to do that) and you are limited to just ID and quality.

pacifist and friends need to be bothered if you want sorting on any other page. :3
sk89q

Postby robertk on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Excelent!!!!

//Robert
robertk

Postby sk89q on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:16 pm

I have gotten rid of those blasted HTTP cache headers that PHP was sending, so your back buttons should work again. :dance:
sk89q

Postby Entity on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:22 am

Eh, where did the site go? domain name doesn't even resolve anymore.
Entity

Postby sk89q on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:26 am

The part of the data center hosting the server may have taken a shat... Our KVM over IP is inaccessible too.

We'll see. :munch:
sk89q

Postby sk89q on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:03 pm

It's back up. :toot:
sk89q

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Problems